Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2021, 02:48 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Coolant temp issue

Wondering if anyone has had this issue before, and what the remedy was...
Backstory... 2012 Nissan Titan, 103k miles, coolant and tranny flushed at 77k
truck is healthy and well maintained.
So I noticed this summer that I was seeing high temps when towing up hills, whether in manual shift or not, regardless of speed, rpm, ect. The odd part is the temp would jump from 190 or so (normal) to 230-240 in under a minute.
After cresting the incline, it would fall just as quickly back to normal.
On the highway, it stays at or near normal. Tranny temps stay normal all the while.
I first changed the thermostat, and "burped" the cooling system, got very little air out. the problem still remains.
My clutch fan seemed to be ok, and had resistance when trying to turn by hand, but my serpentine belt looked a little worn. I had the Fan clutch changed anyway, as well as the belt, waterpump, and tensioner.
Theres not much else I can think of that would cause the issue. We will be going out this afternoon, and I will be climbing the mountain outside of town once more, and hopefully the issue is resolved, but I was just curious to see if anyone else ever had a similar issue......
Old 09-03-2021, 06:50 AM   #2
Site Team

Sounds like you have done just about all you can to rectify the issue. If it still acts up when you go out again, I would think maybe the temp gauge might be the culprit.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 07:17 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I did give thought to the actual sensor, not the guage….
I have an ODB bluetooth device in my sports car that I put in the truck so I can monitor temps in real-time, and it coincides with the dash unit for the most part..
Funny thing about dash temp guages, though, is it reads dead center up to about 220, then pops right up to high at 230.
The bluetooth unit shows a steadier (albeit rapid) increase.
Im guessing next would be the sensor, then the radiator ?
Old 09-03-2021, 08:34 AM   #4
Site Team

I hadn't thought about the sensor. Actually that makes more sense than the gauge.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 10:52 AM   #5
Site Team

I traveled after changing anti freeze for about 1200 miles.
Suddenly the temp shot up, pulled over and let it cool some more. Added anti freeze again since it went down. Happened after 50 more miles.
Apparently the air was still in the engine and it burped out while traveling those last miles. Level went down so much it took almost a half gallon of anti freeze again.
No problem since.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 04:58 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Well, I believe my issue is resolved. Over the mountain she never hit 200. It was only 72 here today, though. The last few times we were at 85-90.
I can hear the new clutch fan roaring while under stress, something I hadn’t noticed before….
Rrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 09:35 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

I too, have the 2012 Titan. With us, it's just the opposite. The engine temp stays normal, but the tranny temp climbs quite a bit towards the top of the scale, quickly, as you described, but comes right back to normal with just a mile or so of level driving. We've just lived with it, and have been careful to stay within the top edge of normal.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 02:28 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Have you tried cleaning the fins on your trans cooler?
Rrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:23 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

My Nissan 4-cyl is extremely hard to burp, and will show overheat until fully burped; have often felt some hoses backwards, but see no way to connect using factory hoses. OTOH, experience also showed, once burped, that first symptoms of overheat when driving was hot air at AC Outlet while gauge still showing normal? LUCK to ya
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote