Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-23-2014, 11:22 AM   #1
New Camper
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 5
Looking for comments on this TV & RV Setup

Hello All,

A new owner of a Sunset Trail ST240BH as well as new to RVing.

Recently purchased the tow vehicle late last year and then purchased the RV early this year. Recently completed our first weekend trip and all went well. The campground (CG) was only about 30 minutes away which the tow vehicle (TV) towed the RV fine, a little bumpy, but that was mainly due to the PA roads. With that being said, I wanted to know if the TV is a good selection or perhaps a better TV should be investigated? I've received mixed information, as some people say its fine, and other say that we may need to watch the engine or transmission for issues as the RV may be too much for the TV.

Currently we don't have a long trip planned until late July (approx 8 hour trip to CG) which I feel will be the real test, but what are peopleís thoughts? As you can see the TV is under the threshold as TV limits, but as they say, just because it can, doesn't mean that it should.

Thanks for your time and comments in advanced.

Tow Vehicle
1. 2008 Ford 150 SuperCrew 4x4
2. 5.4 V8 Triton Engine
3. 4-speed automatic overdrive
4. Wheelbase 138.5
5. Conventional Towing max weight 9300 lbs
6. + 4 people - 2 adults, 2 children plus stuff

Link for additional spec information http://www.fordf150.net/2008/2008-fo...ifications.php

RV
Cross Roads Sunset Trail ST240BH
Dry Weight: 5075
GVWR: 7482
Carrying Capacity: 2407
Hitch Weight: 482
Axle Weight: 4593
Exterior Length: 27'7"
Exterior Height (with A/C): 11'2"
Fresh Water: 40
Black Water: 26
Gray / Galley Water: 26
Tire Size: 205/75R15C
dietec01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:34 AM   #2
Full Time Camper
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location:
Posts: 1,415
Every thing sounds good to me.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:38 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper
 
Beamer5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 285
What is the payload on your truck. It will be on the drivers door jamb, yellow sticker. I think you will be fine. You just need to load properly, load as much as possible in the trailer and not in the bed of the truck. I have a very similar set up and have no issues just need to watch the payload.
__________________
2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4X4 3.42
2013 CrossRoads Sunset Trail Super Lite 250RB
Beamer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:42 AM   #4
Site Team
 
mark5w's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 4,879
Had the same truck specs when towing my former Rv. No problems, you should be good. I did add air bags to help keep truck level.
__________________
Mark & Susan
Lehighton, Pennsylvania

'13 Cruiser Patriot 335SS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:41 PM   #5
Full Time Camper
 
OhioMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: United states of america
Posts: 1,542
I didn't see it listed in your post and I'd be surprised if the dealer didn't push one on hou, but with that payload and trailer a weight distributing hitch would be worthy investment to get the load off the rear axle. Nothing crazy...a 1000 lb friction control bar system would do wonders for your towing.

They're about 300-400 bucks plus installation.
__________________

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:19 PM   #6
Full Time Camper
 
harley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Belle River , Ontario
Posts: 1,680
you will be fine ..I used to pull a heavier trailer with an avalanche with a 5.3 and did fine
__________________


It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:33 PM   #7
Weekend Camper
 
Fatboy666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by dietec01 View Post
Hello All,

A new owner of a Sunset Trail ST240BH as well as new to RVing.

Recently purchased the tow vehicle late last year and then purchased the RV early this year. Recently completed our first weekend trip and all went well. The campground (CG) was only about 30 minutes away which the tow vehicle (TV) towed the RV fine, a little bumpy, but that was mainly due to the PA roads. With that being said, I wanted to know if the TV is a good selection or perhaps a better TV should be investigated? I've received mixed information, as some people say its fine, and other say that we may need to watch the engine or transmission for issues as the RV may be too much for the TV.

Currently we don't have a long trip planned until late July (approx 8 hour trip to CG) which I feel will be the real test, but what are people’s thoughts? As you can see the TV is under the threshold as TV limits, but as they say, just because it can, doesn't mean that it should.

Thanks for your time and comments in advanced.

Tow Vehicle
1. 2008 Ford 150 SuperCrew 4x4
2. 5.4 V8 Triton Engine
3. 4-speed automatic overdrive
4. Wheelbase 138.5
5. Conventional Towing max weight 9300 lbs
6. + 4 people - 2 adults, 2 children plus stuff

Link for additional spec information http://www.fordf150.net/2008/2008-fo...ifications.php

RV
Cross Roads Sunset Trail ST240BH
Dry Weight: 5075
GVWR: 7482
Carrying Capacity: 2407
Hitch Weight: 482
Axle Weight: 4593
Exterior Length: 27'7"
Exterior Height (with A/C): 11'2"
Fresh Water: 40
Black Water: 26
Gray / Galley Water: 26
Tire Size: 205/75R15C

Need to know the curb weight of the TV, GVWR and CGVWR of the TV, weight of people and the gear you will be carrying in the TV and the weight rating of the the hitch receiver. On the TT, you need the weight of the gear you will be carrying along with the tongue weight. I assume 2 standard propane tanks as well as one battery and you travel w/ empty tanks.

This is important for calculating your CGVWR and percentage of both TV and TT GVWR. You just can't assume you'll be OK.
__________________
2015 ST32RL
2013 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax HD 6.6L Diesel
Allison Transmission
Fatboy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:24 PM   #8
Site Team
 
mark5w's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 4,879
Most of that data was included in his link to the Ford specs.
__________________
Mark & Susan
Lehighton, Pennsylvania

'13 Cruiser Patriot 335SS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:11 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Nova Scotia Can
Posts: 198
Weight rating are a crucial safety factor - for you and your family. After that it is all physics - the closer to the "edge" you tow, the narrower your safety margin. An object in motion wants to stay in motion!!!! On the mechanical side - think about heat - you will generate lots in your transmission and engine - think about ways to remove it (larger or extra coolers). Heat is evil - the longer you tow at higher temps, the shorter your truck life. Think good oil, more frequent changes... Some good info already stated by other posters - it is up to you how you interpret it for your situation.... Happy Camping!!!!
__________________

Roselyn and Darrell
2007.5 Silverado LT/EFI Live Tuned Duramax/6Spd Allison/Banks Ram Air with Super Scoop/Edge CTS Gauges/Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate Air Springs
2014 335ss Cruiser Provincial
Retired Navy
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:19 PM   #10
New Camper
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMark View Post
I didn't see it listed in your post and I'd be surprised if the dealer didn't push one on hou, but with that payload and trailer a weight distributing hitch would be worthy investment to get the load off the rear axle. Nothing crazy...a 1000 lb friction control bar system would do wonders for your towing.

They're about 300-400 bucks plus installation.
My apologizes as I forgot to mention that item. Yes we have a a weight distribution hitch included. A husky towing product with friction sway control. I've also included the information from the TV & RV.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2014-04-23 at 6.16.24 PM.png (451.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2014-04-23 at 6.16.34 PM.png (745.6 KB, 4 views)
dietec01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:54 PM   #11
Weekend Camper
 
Daddyo&GG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 69
Congrats and welcome to the fourm!! I think you are fine with your TT. The only thing I would add is brake controller, if you do not already have one. Happy camping!!
__________________

DaddyO & GG
Kids and Cat
2010 Tundra 4x4 CrewMax 5.7 (gas hog)
2013 Sunset Trail 29SS Reserve
Daddyo&GG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:39 PM   #12
Seasonal Camper
 
Beamer5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 285
With 2400lbs of payload you will have no issues.
__________________
2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4X4 3.42
2013 CrossRoads Sunset Trail Super Lite 250RB
Beamer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:43 PM   #13
Full Time Camper
 
anaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mebane, NC
Posts: 2,394
The only true way to know if you are ok, is a trip to the scales. Weigh the truck front and rear axle separately without the tt. Then weigh the truck front and rear axles separately with tt hooked up (tv front axle on scale pad 1, tv rear axle on scale pad 2, tt on scale pad 3). You are probably ok but without exact numbers you will never know. The other thing is, you said it handled well and you already have the combo. if it's towing ok, do you really want the expense of a new TV?

If towing starts to feel a little iffy consider a wdh that has integrated sway control like Reese dual cam or equal-i-zer. They mentioned brake controller, do you have the ford integrated brake controller? If not then make sure your brake controller is proportional (like prodigy p2 or p3) and not time based. The other thing is I'm assuming you have the tow package and the tranny cooler.

If it's riding bumpy.... do you mean porpoising? Explain a little further as you may need to dial your wdh in a little better for a smoother ride.
__________________

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:47 PM   #14
Full Time Camper
 
OhioMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: United states of america
Posts: 1,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo&GG View Post
Congrats and welcome to the fourm!! I think you are fine with your TT. The only thing I would add is brake controller, if you do not already have one. Happy camping!!

I assumed a brake controller. Here in Ohio, you can't drive it off the lot without a brake controller once you hit a certain weight.. I think its 5K
__________________

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:48 PM   #15
Full Time Camper
 
OhioMark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: United states of america
Posts: 1,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by dietec01 View Post
My apologizes as I forgot to mention that item. Yes we have a a weight distribution hitch included. A husky towing product with friction sway control. I've also included the information from the TV & RV.

Than I would tow that without much worry.

If you want to go full monty, you could get 10 ply truck tires...helps with the "wiggle" under full load. Totally not necessary, but I upgraded after a trip out west. Got tired of the "float" when we hit the legendary high winds across Iowa/South Dakota/Lower Minn.
__________________

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:33 PM   #16
New Camper
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMark View Post
I assumed a brake controller. Here in Ohio, you can't drive it off the lot without a brake controller once you hit a certain weight.. I think its 5K
Yes there is a brake controller, PA requires one after 3K. It is a aftermarket, Hayes Endeavor to be exact. The vehicle did porpoise a few times, but it was mainly a bumpy due to the back roads that we took and the all the pot holes. I wasn't able to get it any faster than 55 mph, but there wasn't any sway problems. However this was a short trip. It handled well during the travel, but yet again I really don't have anything to compare it to as the only thing I towed previously was a boat that is only 1K.
dietec01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:37 PM   #17
Seasonal Camper
 
Beamer5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 285
You may need to adjust your hitch accordingly, maybe another link in the chain. Also make sure you max out the psi in your tires when towing.
__________________
2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4X4 3.42
2013 CrossRoads Sunset Trail Super Lite 250RB
Beamer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:40 PM   #18
New Camper
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by anaro View Post
The only true way to know if you are ok, is a trip to the scales. Weigh the truck front and rear axle separately without the tt. Then weigh the truck front and rear axles separately with tt hooked up (tv front axle on scale pad 1, tv rear axle on scale pad 2, tt on scale pad 3). You are probably ok but without exact numbers you will never know. The other thing is, you said it handled well and you already have the combo. if it's towing ok, do you really want the expense of a new TV?

If towing starts to feel a little iffy consider a wdh that has integrated sway control like Reese dual cam or equal-i-zer. They mentioned brake controller, do you have the ford integrated brake controller? If not then make sure your brake controller is proportional (like prodigy p2 or p3) and not time based. The other thing is I'm assuming you have the tow package and the tranny cooler.

If it's riding bumpy.... do you mean porpoising? Explain a little further as you may need to dial your wdh in a little better for a smoother ride.
Good point on the scales. I am not looking for additional expense as it would double my payment, however I don't want to run the vehicle into the ground with only a few years into it and want to ensure the trips are safe.

The brake controller is an aftermarket Hayes Endeavor. It has a digital inertia controller. I didn't feel that I had any problems braking.
dietec01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:46 PM   #19
Full Time Camper
 
anaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mebane, NC
Posts: 2,394
The scales will also help you get your wdh dialed in better. The idea is to get your front end as close to unloaded weight as possible without going heavier. Balancing weights and wheel well measurements against each other is a pain but well worth it in the end.

Ideally you are looking for comfortable towing not clinging to the steering wheel fighting to keep it on the road when every car, truck, suv or semi passes you. You don't want to feel like your front end is floating/understeer (typically too light on the front end) or too much bite/oversteer in the front end (too heavy on the front end).

You want your tt loaded to have 13-15% tongue weight. Anything in front of the tt axles will add to tongue weight. You can measure this by a shurline tongue weight scale (very accurate) or weigh with tt on truck no wdh. Subtract unloaded truck weight from truck weight with no wdh to get your approximate tongue weight. If you go to a catscale typically first weigh is $9-12 and any reweigh in a 24 hrs period is $1-2. Bring a broom handle or something long with you to reach the button. When they ask you for truck # just tell them private vehicle and first weigh or reweigh. Have first ticket number ready to give them for reweigh. We will be going through this exercise this weekend to get our tt set right to our new TV before heading to pa for the northeast crossroads rally.

I hear you on the truck debate. We are on our 3 rd tv since we bought this tt in 2011. The old armada I had since 2004 wasn't up to task so we upgraded to an 09 F250 diesel that loved towing my tt. The f250 had mechanical issues and a lighter payload than your F150 so we traded it on the 3500 diesel in my signature in preparation for our planned tt upgrade. If you do trade your tv, check every spec including the door tire loading/payload sticker and the hitch ratings too make sure you have enough TV for the next tt you will likely upgrade to in a few years (we all give in to the addiction sometime).
__________________

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:09 AM   #20
Weekend Camper
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: michigan
Posts: 59
I tow a 2005 Cruiser 28fb with a 2003 Dodge Ram Conversion van and all is fine with my equalizing hitch and prodigy 2 brake controller. TT weighs approx 5500 lbs and van can tow 7350lbs. It does have helper springs on it though from previous owner. You should be good to go. Have fun
phoneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Crossroads RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×