Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2020, 03:45 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

What's the smallest vehicle I can get away with? Z1 18SS

I know I can read the towing capacities for individual vehicles, but it seems a lot of the less powerful (and cheaper!) V6's might be pushing the limits for my camper.

Specifically, any experience using a Toyota 4runner V6. Some of these have towing capacities of 5000 lbs. With my 3700 base weight camper, fully loaded I'll be getting close to 5000 lbs. And I will be doing a lot of travelling including through mountainous regions.

And what about Toyota Tacomas?

I really don't want to get way more than I need, but I definitely want to get at least what I need!
Old 02-09-2020, 10:18 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

You have to be aware of payload capacity too of the tow vehicle. Also GCVWR. Tongue weight takes up payload capacity too.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:00 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

THanks, catman, I am aware of the many different weight variables to consider.

I'm just interested in hearing some first-hand experience of people using smaller and/or older V6's with less torque and hp that start to push the limits of those weight capacities.
Old 02-16-2020, 02:19 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Also consider things like wheelbase. I towed a viking saga pop-up with our 4runner, and it pushed the tow vehicle around a lot, just because of the short wheelbase. It had plenty of power and brakes for the camper, but just got squirrely.
Moxiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 02:46 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

First off I am a big Toyota fan I have a 4Runner and a Sequoia and have had 2 Tacoma’s and a Tundra.
The power will be down on the v6 it will get you there but you will be pushing it hard. In the mountains my v8 will have more power and gets the same or better mileage as the v6 because it is not working as hard.
You mentioned mountain driving and the camper you asked about is single axle so I don’t know if it has trailer brakes or not but having some size to the tow vehicle helps control and stopping on down hill runs.
I have only towed my atv trailer behind my Toyota’s
it weighs about 3000 loaded. I towed my Z1 228rr and now my 5er with a 2500 Cummins.
I think it would be better to have too much than too little.
codave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 03:51 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Over the years, I towed several < 5000 lb trailers: Coleman 18’ and a Dalton Apache (don’t ask). I had a V-6 Isuzu (remember them?) and an F-150 with a 302. Both were rated to pull 5000 lbs. Both failed miserably. Overheating was the main problem. Even with a cooler. The other issue was stability in the wind. The new engines are more efficient. However, add in the mountain roads, the thinner air, and the desire to go over 45 mph. If you can afford to do so, get something with more towing power. You’ll be happy you did. i ended up with a Ford Diesel. I also keep things a long time. So, its 17 years old with 480,000+ miles on it, tows up to 12,000 lbs (although I won’t). We have a 5300 lb trailer plus everything on earth inside. I can tow it fine, and it’s stable. Good luck. Let us know what you decide to do.
***Going for 1 million miles***
Hballer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 01:41 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Thanks, fuel economy is a concern. I had basically ruled out a V8 for that reason, but I had not considered that a V8 might not be so bad provided that it would be working less hard.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:43 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Thank you. I am starting to lean larger.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:45 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

And what about a V6 Tacoma with the factory towing package? Anybody have experience with that? Specs state that the towing package increases the towing capacity from ~5000 to ~6500 pounds.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:54 PM   #10
Site Team

You mentioned fuel mileage was a concern with a V-8. In my opinion if you load up the non turbo V-6 close to its max towing the mileage would be less than that of a V-8 truck pulling under its tow rating. Empty it would get better mileage but loaded it would be less. Also a larger tow vehicle is more stable for towing. With crosswinds and semi trucks passing you will like the larger truck. Then in a mountain pass they all loose power to some degree but if you start with more power you will be better off. One other thing to consider is if you decide to trade for a larger camper with a smaller truck you would need a bigger truck then. I am a firm believer in having more truck than you need.

Just as a side note: You can see in my signature what i pull and what i pull it with. Empty i get 12 to 14 depending on how i drive and at what speed but loaded average 6 to 7 but have got as low as 4. But i have never ran out of power.

This is Just what works for me in my area with what i pull. The only cheep way to go camping would be with a tent in a Prius LOL
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 03:11 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Following video is very informative on V6 Tacoma towing 4500# trailer loaded with 400# cargo and passenger load in vehicle. Pay attention to MPH in video to understand the results and performance.

I can state from experience that my 2011 Chevy 1/2 reg. cab short box 4x4 with the 5.3 and 3.42 towing a 23 ft. 6000# trailer with a vehicle cargo of 550# averages 10 MPG maintaining highway speeds between 55 and 65 MPH.

I do experience some porpoising due to the short wheel base of my truck but lateral stability is very good. I do run a friction sway control bar.

Good luck with your choice - I will always advocate that bigger is better. If I can find additional power (torque), braking, length, and weight I will take it from a comfort and safety perspective.
Reese Weight Dist. w/friction sway control
jmnsn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 05:40 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

One of the couple’s in our group has a Tacoma and pulls about a 20ft lightweight and struggled with the mountains it did it but at around 10mpg at best and we had to wait for him on long hills. He would leave the camper completely empty and buy all his groceries and fill water after arriving at the campground he has switched over to a newer 4Runner and it has a little more power according to him and I know my 4Runner would out pull our older v6 Tacoma.
codave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 07:18 PM   #13
New Camper

I had a Nissan Frontier NISMO King Cab with 4.0 V6 with 261hp. had hoped it could tow a Kodiak 201QB which is 3959 lbs dry and we had it loaded to 4700 per CAT scales, plus me, my wife, our 30 lb Corgi, and Also gear in the bed with hard tonneau cover.

Unfortunately that was too little truck for the trailer.

First off we were past 90% of max payload. Lots of porpoising on the highway (yes with Equalizer WDH). Second, the rear gearing was all wrong for towing especially in the mountains. One trip of the Cascades convinced me that the transmission was not long for this world doing that. The engine RPM was high and pulling hard. Towing in traffic on mountain interstates was a right lane in with the semis affair. And semis would try to pass me!

Basically a great off-road truck but not for trailer towing. Based on my experience, I’d conclude the same about your 4Runner.

We bought a RAM 1500 with 5.7L V8, factory tow package with 3.92 gears. It towed that same trailer effortlessly. In two weeks we pick up our new Crossroads Sunset Trail 253RB and I expect it to be easily towed with the RAM.

Here’s a good rule of thumb for easy trailering without white knuckles: stay below 80% of max payload, GCVWR, and max trailer GVWR. Near 100% won’t be fun.
BruceMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 07:58 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

Ha! I've camped/travelled extensively for years in my Scion XB! Now I need to haul a lot more for work, plus ...I'm ready to live (a bit?) more normally. I've just got to get over the massive drop in fuel economy. Overall, I already know it's worth it for me. Showers are great!