Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2022, 03:15 PM   #1
New Camper

Question Getting to furnace in 2015(?) ST26RB

I have a 2015(?) Crossroads Sunset Trail Reserve ST26RB TT.

My furnace is showing symptoms of a possibly bad/dirty sail switch. My issue is that Crossroads doesn't seem to have designed the location of the furnace for easy access. There is not access panel on the outside of the RV, only the small inlet/outlet for fresh air and exhaust.

Inside the RV, the only way I can access the furnace is through the fresh air intake. However, the accessible part is the heat exchanger and heat vent ports with the vent tubes attached. If I remove the vent tubes, I still can't reach the part of the furnace where I assume the switch to be, or where the control board is. Those are well out of my reach if I lay down and reach in.

Is there a panel somewhere else that I am missing? I've looked at the adjacent wall in the bathroom and in the outdoor kitchen.

Thank you for any guidance!
Jerry
Jk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 06:53 PM   #2
Site Team

Hello and welcome!

You will have to remove the furnace to access the internal parts. To do so you would need to remove the vents from the outside. Depending on a lot of things they may come out easy of it may put up a fight. Then remove any flexible duct work from the furnace, disconnect the gas after you turn it off at the bottles, disconnect the wiring, remove any screws holding it to the floor and remove it thru the return vent opening. Then you can remove the case to access the furnace itself..

Before you do all that what is it doing or not doing?
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 07:51 AM   #3
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagst1 View Post
Hello and welcome!

You will have to remove the furnace to access the internal parts. To do so you would need to remove the vents from the outside. Depending on a lot of things they may come out easy of it may put up a fight. Then remove any flexible duct work from the furnace, disconnect the gas after you turn it off at the bottles, disconnect the wiring, remove any screws holding it to the floor and remove it thru the return vent opening. Then you can remove the case to access the furnace itself..

Before you do all that what is it doing or not doing?
The fan runs for a little while but no ignition.

I suspect the sail switch because the furnace lights and runs for a little while if I spray compressed air from a computer dust removal can into the intake vent.

If it is that much trouble to get to the sail switch, I think I will also replace the control board just so I don't have to remove it again if that is the issue instead.
Old 10-18-2022, 09:29 AM   #4
Site Team

Do you know What brand furnace you have?

Just a couple of things-- 1 Compressed air from a can is highly flammable -- 2 If you are spraying it into the air intake vent because of where the sail switch is (depending on the brand of furnace) I would doubt it is helping much.

If you turn the furnace on the fan starts that can you hear the igniter spark?

Another thing if it has tried 3 times it will go into lock out. Turn off the thermostat and wait about 5 min than try again. And your sure the propane is on and the air blead -- sometimes it is just the little things.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 10:07 AM   #5
New Camper

Good to know about the canned air.

I have the Atwood. No idea on the actual model because I can't see that part of the furnace and the manual is for a range of model within the 8500 something something series.

The igniter spark isn't happening most of the time. When I do get a spark, the furnace works great. So that makes it very interesting/confusing.

I don't usually let it cycle three times. If it doesn't light the first or second cycle I turn it off.

As for air in the line, it may be possible because it started after I refilled the propane tank. However, the furnace does light intermittently and the stove and BBQ both work great with no yellow in the flame.

I do also have a problem with the water heater lighting and going out right away or just not lighting. Sparking though. I've been wondering if that was related which would kind of indicate a general line issue. But the water heater gas line branches off the main at the front of the RV and the furnace is in the back so not sure how related they really are.

Thanks for your input so far. I really appreciate it.

Jerry
Old 11-14-2022, 03:25 PM   #6
New Camper

It was the sIl switch. I did have to completely pull the furnace out to get to it like you suggested.

Thanks for the help.

Jerry
Old 11-14-2022, 07:31 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Thanks for letting us know what you found

Tags
furnace, st26rb