Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2022, 01:30 PM   #1
New Camper

Unhappy Yet another crossroads/keystone A/C thread

I've seen so many threads of people having issues with getting the A/C unit to move cold air into other areas of the trailer so it appears to be a chronic issue.

When we open the main dump a LOT of cold air get's pumped into the main room, however when the main dump is closed almost no flow get's to the bedrooms on either end of the trailer. We ended up opening the main dump and using box fans to move the cold air into the bedrooms which worked fine but I was hoping to not have to avoid a bunch of wires and fans to not trip over.

I took apart all of the ceiling vent registers and took pictures down the ducts and there didn't seem to be any blockages. Interestingly the vents don't stop at the last vent but keep going both in the bunks at the front and the master in the back. I assumed the extended vent in the back was for the optional additional A/C unit but I don't have a good explanation for why the vent that goes to the bunks in the front doesn't just stop at the last vent.

Some air does get through but it's a sad sad flow. I also took off the covers on the main unit and discovered some fun large gaps between the vents and the unit itself. Pictures attached.

I covered the gaps between the unit and vents with foil tape and filled the vent with pink insulation just after the last vent in both the front and back bedrooms. I'm hoping this improves the flow but I have one more thing I'd like to try. The vent going to the back master bedroom has a vent into the bathroom along the way. It seems like keystone has this new and improved "blade" A/C system which sounds awesome but I guess it works best when the vents actually connect to the A/C unit. Enough of me "venting" frustration.

Because I'd much rather have a colder bedroom than a bathroom I am trying to find a vent that has a damper to replace the blade one that comes with the RV. The idea being that we can partially open it if the bathroom gets too hot, but ideally we'd like the majority of the flow to end up in the master bedroom.

Does anyone know of a good vent replacement with a damper? More importantly are the modifications I made with adding foil tape and insulation in the vents going to do damage to the A/C unit? I have yet to power it up and try it out so I'm not sure what/if any impact there is thus far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220713_162252[1].jpg (66.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 20220713_112803[1].jpg (69.1 KB, 16 views)

-Average Everyday Normal Guy
AverageEverydayNormalGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 02:33 PM   #2
Site Team

Cross Roads air conditioning has always left a lot to be desired.

What you are experiencing has been going on for years. The end of the ac run being left open is nothing new. They are notorious for that. What you have done so far will not hurt the ac unit, and it can only help with the cooling.

You might also want to open up the ac its self, (from the inside) Just to see what they left undone in there.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 03:38 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Sent you a PM.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 11:50 AM   #4
New Camper

AC vents

We bought a 2018 Sunset Trail 331BH in April 2022. First time we used the AC we couldn't figure out why there was no air movement in the master bedroom. After reading a couple threads we also opened up the AC compartment in the ceiling and looked at every vent. We discovered vents not sealed or attached to the insulation, uncut vents in the main compartment and holes galore. We bought 5 inch aluminum tape, cut the vent openings properly and sealed the whole system. I was able to create an aluminum tape "wall" to prevent the cold air from filling the useless vent space that went past the opening. We get excellent air movement now. The vents pop off and you can probably partially cover the opening. It would be annoying to change but it would work.
Sue Stella 36 is offline   Reply With Quote