Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

We are now in our 1st season with our new 5th Wheel. My tow vehicle is a GMC Sierra Extended Cab, it has the short box.

Our dealer installed a Superslide 5th Wheel Hitch http://www.pullrite.com/isr_2700.htmand there is a capture plate that attaches to the plate above the king pin. This capture plate is required to work with the hitch.

Now, we just got back from our 3 trip and each time upon returning home, the dam plate falls off. I have notified my dealer about it and I am currently waiting a response.

I wanted to ask those that have experience with these Capture Plates, what do you do, or can be done to keep this plate secure and attached. There is a single bolt that don't seem to holding it all that well?

Any Suggestions?
Duey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:13 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

To me it sounds like the dealer either didn't install the correct capture plate or didn't install it correctly. The universal plate has 10 bolts that hold it to the hitch. You didn't say what trailer or king pin box it has but look at yours and then look at Pullrites website and see if you have the correct plate.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:10 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

There certainly not 10 bolts holding it on. There is only one set screw/bolt that suppose to tighten against the King Pin.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:43 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Don't have one but I found this:Manuals: http://www.pullrite.com/superglide_manuals.htm
New QuickConnect Capture Plates have been designed to work with the most popular models of king pin boxes.The use of the new QuickConnect Capture Plates will simplify the installation and significantly reduce the time involved in the installation. The new QuickConnect Capture Plate simply slips up over the king pin; set screws secure it to the king pin box. When the trailer is hooked up to the hitch, the QuickConnect Capture Plate will function and allow the trailer to guide the SuperGlide hitch to move when turns are being made.Also:All SuperGlide hitches will require the installation of a capture plate in order for the hitch to function, either the QuickConnect capture plate as described above, or in installations where a QuickConnect Plate may not be available, a Universal Capture Plate may be used. The “Universal Capture Plate� can be used for any trailer. On most king pin boxes, this is relatively simple, but can be time consuming to install. However, in cases where the fore-to-aft dimension of the king pin box is very short, installation of extension plates to support the capture plate, and knee braces to support the leading edge of the front extension plate will be necessary. The installation of the extension plates and knee braces requires additional time and effort to complete the proper installation.</span>

</span>
</span>

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 04:12 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

Thank you so much. This is the capture plate that we have.

http://www.pullrite.com/pdfs/Multi_QCCP.pdf

It keeps coming off.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:01 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

You didn't say what Pin Box you have but Pullrite specifically states do not use the universal or multi fit on the TrailAir Rotoflex box which my Cruiser 5er has. http://www.pullrite.com/pdfs/QCCP_Fit_Chart.pdf

Again look at your pin box and then Pullrites chart to see if you have the correct plate.

Otherwise I would be drilling a hole inside the Capture wedge and thru the pinbox and bolting it on.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:56 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by avvidclif
You didn't say what Pin Box you have but Pullrite specifically states do not use the universal or multi fit on the TrailAir Rotoflex box which my Cruiser 5er has. http://www.pullrite.com/pdfs/QCCP_Fit_Chart.pdf

Again look at your pin box and then Pullrites chart to see if you have the correct plate.

Otherwise I would be drilling a hole inside the Capture wedge and thru the pinbox and bolting it on.

Hhmmm, Ok. I will have to check to see what Pin Box I have on my 5er.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:12 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Duey -- I also have the capture plate that has a large set screw in the front of the capture plate. Did your plate come with a teflon block? That block fits between the set screw and the front of your king pin, so when you tighten the set screw down it holds the plate on the king pin.
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Duey -- did you find out yet what was causing the capture plate to fall off?

In God We Trust
Old 06-03-2012, 01:37 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

As far as I can tell, its the set screw/bolt. The dealer has a new one for me. As far as im concerned, it shouldn't fall off at all. I hate design flaws.

Im gonna continue to look into this further.
Old 06-03-2012, 10:25 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Duey -- when you find the solution to the problem please post it. I have not had a problem with my capture plate, but would like to know what is causing yours to fall off.

In God We Trust
Old 07-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

There isn't much to report. The capture plate issue still exits. Continuously tightening the set screw is becoming a real pain in the ass and aggravating.
The hitch manufacturer sent me an email to call themwho are claiming they have a solution.

Im wondinging if I can change the Pin Box as to get a different capture plate. There are many types of capture plates and there's gotta be something better then the currently one I have.