Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2012, 08:53 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

I am new to Travel Trailer camping and having full hookups, etc. My question concerns water filtration systems. If I put a water filtration system on, and I camp for 3 or 4 days, when camping is done and I break everything down, what should I do with the water filter cartridge. In other words, do I put some peroxide in the container and leave some water in it to keep it from drying out and contaminating? Or do I just dump all the water from it, clean it and let it dry out? Anyone using a filter system that can comment I would appreciate it. Thanks to all.

Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:08 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

I have always used the ones that connect to your supply hose. I just coil up my supply hose with the filter still connected, and then fasten the male connector of the hose to the female connector of the filter. That was more to keep things dry than any other reason. Your question about keeping stuff from growing in the filter is a good one. I've never done anything more than replace the filter each season. Interested to see what others do.

2008 GMC 2500HD Duramax

2009 Cruiser 30SK Patriot

jererp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:28 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Also, I have always used a pressure regulating valve at the trailer end of the hose. This is to prevent high pressure water systems in parks from blowing the RV water lines. Never had that type of problem myself, but then I've always had the regulating valve installed. I considered it cheap insurance.

2008 GMC 2500HD Duramax

Old 03-28-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
New Camper

We just drain the water out and cap the ends. Use a new each year. We also use a pressure regulator at the faucet end of the water hose. Some places will post if they have high water pressure but not all. Better to be safe than sorry.

2012 325CK,

2011 Silverado 2500HD

2012/43 days out
Tom-n-Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:42 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-n-Lyn
We just drain the water out and cap the ends. Use a new each year. We also use a pressure regulator at the faucet end of the water hose. Some places will post if they have high water pressure but not all. Better to be safe than sorry.

X2
Old 03-28-2012, 09:43 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jererp
Also, I have always used a pressure regulating valve at the trailer end of the hose. This is to prevent high pressure water systems in parks from blowing the RV water lines. Never had that type of problem myself, but then I've always had the regulating valve installed. I considered it cheap insurance.

Much safer to use the regulator on the spicket end as it then protects the hose also!!jmho jb
Old 03-28-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Quote:

Much safer to use regulator at the spicket so it then protects the hose also

JMHO jb
Old 03-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

I have a water filter box I made with 1 canister for sediment filtration, and the 2nd canister with a carbon block filter in it for tatse.

I have always had every campgrounds water taste like it is city water no matter how nasty it was coming from the well.

I dont do anything to mine except change the filters every year. Between trips I dont do anything, during the regular season, just let the water run for a bit out of the hose so it clears out the old water from the previous trip before hooking it up to the trailer.

Then in the fall I empty the canisters of water and filters and have never seen even a hint of mold or anything else in the canisters except for dirt in the sediment filter canister. Man does the sediment filter get dirty, it is pretty much a dark brown color from using it all year for about 2-3 week long trips.

I also have a pressure regulator in it too, and all the high pressure water hoses, (madefor me by the RVwaterfilter store listed below)so it keeps it all clean and neat and in one place. Just take it out to the faucet hook up and close the lid and your done. I use high pressure water hoses so I dont have to hook up a regulator at the faucet, my waterregulator is mountedin the box, along with the filter canisters.

Here is where I got my regulator, high pressure hoses made,and my new filters every year http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/Edited by: fixit5561

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Saw in a post once that putting the regulator at the spigot end allows the pressure to increase as the sun warms water in the hose, therefore raising the pressure in the RV water system. Made sense to me, so that is why I put it on RV side of hose.

2008 GMC 2500HD Duramax

Old 03-28-2012, 11:00 AM   #10
Site Team

I have a "whole house" canister. Made a little milk stool with a hole in the middle for it to sit down into and not tip over. I normally use a charcoal filter and when I break camp it goes into the dumpster.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:26 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

I use one of those blue tube filters from walmart...cost about $18.00. I buy two or three at the beginning of the season and date them from when I start to use them, I change at 3-months. After I am done filling the tank, I shake all of the water from them and put the caps back on and store. When it is time to fill again, I let the hose run for about 1-minute then fill the tank. For our drinking water, I bought a PUR water filter system that screws onto the kitchen sink and use that. Between the two filters, we have things pretty well covered.

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:06 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

I bought one of the Camco's from Wally World and it cut the pressure down to the point the shower wouldn't hardly work. And that was with 55 lbs of pressure before it. I took it back. I think I'm going to rig up one under the sink for the cold water supply for drinking and coffee.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Brian,
So, you have two filters, one after the other? Sounds like a great idea to me...do you have pics of the box you built for it? I have already built a system for putting my single hookup on the rear bumper but I can always dumpt that idea. Anything you can show would be appreciated.

thanks,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
Old 03-28-2012, 01:38 PM   #14
Seasonal Camper

Yes I have one after the other andafter both of them is my water regulator. Let me take some pics of it and will post them on here once I get them taken in the next day or two.

I didnt make the box I bought a plastic kind of tote that has a hinged lid on it and assembled it all. I shouldnt have said I built the box, I assembled it all from parts that I bought. It even has wheels and handles so it is easy to carry and roll too.

I have the long hosewhich goes tothe faucet. And a 10 ft hose that goes out the other side to the trailer. I keep the box under the trailer so the sun doesnt heat it up at all, and keeps it out of the rain.Edited by: fixit5561

Old 03-28-2012, 01:40 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

Thanks so much Brian, looking forward to seeing them...and I was wondering where to situate the regulator, now you've given me that answer.

thanks again,
Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
Old 03-29-2012, 09:52 AM   #16
Seasonal Camper

We use a Pur pitcher to filter water for drinking, making coffee and ice; replace the filter cartridge about once a month. I check the CG water pressure with a gauge and if it's over 50 psi the regulator goes on at the spigot before the Y-valve. Use the CG water supply for showers, washing dishes and flushing. Only keep 10-15 gal in the tank and use it for flushing the toilet when on the road.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:05 AM   #17
Seasonal Camper

I use carbon filter and made a bracket to hang on the bumper. The regulator in the picture was a low volume regulator, (cheapo) I replaced it with a higher flow Watts. Don't have the model number on me. The (cheapo) regulated pressure was ok, But when showering or running water we quickly ran out of flow. Was orificed pretty small.. The bigger flow watts solved my issues. The new regulator is threaded into the same spot/position as in the picture.. I have my regulator set for 65 Psi. I don't like the regulator at the source because i like to run a AUX. hose for washing buckets, Truck or others. Highest flow/pressure i can get.

I have tried different filters and brands. Nothing i have tried will taste good to my wife, So we bring bottled water for her, Got tired of spending money on filters, flushing, cleaning, bleaching, sanitizing.. You name it. Got a shelf in my basement, full of all my crap i have tried. I could care less, Tasting different don't mean it is bad. I would stick my face in a mud puddle if i had to, I don't care.

I move around a lot. I disconnect hoses and hang them for a spell to get out as much water as i can get. I unscrew the filter and dump out the water. Toss the filter and the filter housing into a bucket and off i go.. Then reuse everything. A new filter Yearly. Set up time is my mission.. Shave off less set up and tear down time as i can. Everything has a place to set up and tear down quickly.

Edited by: danskool

2005 Cruiser

2001 F250 7.3

danskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:30 AM   #18
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Saw in a post once that putting the regulator at the spigot end allows the pressure to increase as the sun warms water in the hose, therefore raising the pressure in the RV water system. Made sense to me, so that is why I put it on RV side of hose.

I really believe you decyfered it incorrectly or it was told that way to you. If you do not regulate the pressure to the hose it will swell in the heat if you regulate it at the spicket it will not swell nearly as much as if you had full pressure on it sans the regulator installed on the unit end of the hose. It has been the reccommended way to do for years.I have seen several hoses swell to unrecognizable sizes when unregulated or regulated at the unit end of the hose.JMHO jb
Old 03-30-2012, 05:44 AM   #19
Seasonal Camper

cant get the pics yet becuase of a freeze. I dont want to open my slide to get to the water box to get some pics yet. Hopefully it will be warmer this weekend and I will get them then for you tator

Old 03-30-2012, 07:18 AM   #20
Full Time Camper

Brian,
Thanks, whenever you get to it would be fine...appreciate the effort

Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI