Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2011, 09:26 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Is there any reason not to foam up the plumbing holes between the house floor and pass-through storage compartment? I can't see any benefit to leaving them open? After a quick look, I'm thinking of gluing 1/2" or 3/4" foam insulation under the floor. Cutting it to fit close around the holes, then foaming up any gaps.

2004 Chevy Duramax CC SB

Honda eu2000i
snowman9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:33 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

As long as the foam doesn't get in the whay of the slide workings it should be ok. If you are trying to keep mice out you might also consider adding a fine wire mesh to the mix.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:45 PM   #3
Site Team

I put steel wool in the big holes then spray foam. To be truthful, I pretty much spray foamed every blessed hole I found in our trailer!!!!!! You better look around under the sink and under every cabinet in your trailer, you will find lots of them to seal up. The way they poke holes in them rigs is a crime!!!

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:56 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

I also have foamed every hole I see -- no ill effects. It only takes one mouse infestation for your eyes to be opened to all of those holes!
WoodedOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:19 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I will third the process on foaming the holes. I even changed my power cable to a detachable one to close off that access point as well. I am lucky to have a concrete pad for mine next to the house, but I feel for those folks that park in a barn or next to a field. They need to be EXTRA diligent....

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:08 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

If you think mice can't get thru foam insulation, think again. Wire mesh or steel wool will work well before the spray type expanding foam. There are two types, one that really expands a lot and another not so much. I would choose the latter. Fresh Cab works well and has given me years of secure mouse free winters. Look it up on the internet and order a box. The containers last a long time and smell great, to humans.!!
NH Horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:37 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Mice will not go around Bounce dryer sheets nor will insects. I leave Bounce sheets in my TT and all storage areas, it keeps out and kills all bugs as well as pulling any odors out of the trailer when stored.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:19 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

I still haven't done anything about the holes around the plumbing. They're so big, it makes me wonder if they are meant to be air returns. I think I read that there is an opening from the heat duct into the subfloor cavity? Anyone know?

2004 Chevy Duramax CC SB

Honda eu2000i
snowman9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:25 AM   #9
Site Team

Some have reported holes in the heat run, but I think they are there because of negligence on the part of the help at the plant. The heat in the sub floor area is suppose to be "radiant" heat generated off the heat runs.
The heat run in our trailer was open on the back end. I plugged it and then sealed it with spray foam. I have camped when the temps were pretty low and never had any problems because of closing up the holes. I wouldn't tell you what to do with your trailer---that has to be your decision. I'm just stating what I have done.

Those big holes around the plumbing----I don't know how they could possibly be considered an air return. The air return for the furnace is the big grill that sits right below it. That's where your furnace gets it's air, and recirculates it.

Edited by: Old Farmer
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote