Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   CrossRoads RV Family Forum > CrossRoads | Tech > General RV Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2023, 04:28 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Camping trip this coming weekend, dead mouse, woman don't wanna go

Help, got a 4 day coastal trip planned for next weekend, and just discovered there is a dead mouse in camper somewhere. I suspect it is in the floor vent for the heater, as bad smell is noticeable with cover off. I can't get my arm in there to feel around, and I don't have a skinny flexible wet/dry vac hose. Are there any other access points to get to the hose ? I oulled the heater intake cover and can see where the vents connect, but not enough room to get in there. I imagine it is accessible from the bottom if I tear into the winterized underbelly, but trying to avoid that.

Also, once I find the offending rodent, what can I do to quickly get the smell out of the camper ? Had a mouse die in girlfriends Cadillac a/c blower assembly, and it took 6 months to get rid of that odor.
Any help appreciated.

Charlie W.
Ready to Rumble
cwalther1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 06:24 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Check behind your breaker panel. We had one there last year. Big hole coming from underneath due to the wires. If it is in the vent. Tape a piece of garden hose to the vacuumed hose to maybe suck it to the hose and pull it out.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 11:31 AM   #3
Site Team

Here is one example of smell eliminator on Amazon:

\https://www.amazon.com/SMELLEZE-Reus.../dp/B004SBLK06

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 02:36 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Can try to get Ozone machine from a fire & water restoration company and run in camper for smell. I had soft shell crab in my freezer & power went out. Tried every trick except throwing refrigerator out the door when someone suggested Ozone machine. It worked! Never any hint of a smell since then. Good luck.
Old 06-15-2023, 04:11 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Ozone works well. We had a weasel (gross!). It worked but don’t leave the ozone machine in too long. We had it in there for 3 days and that was way too long. Couldn’t get over the ozone smell fir a couple days
Old 06-15-2023, 06:18 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

In my experience, those little buggars can be about anywhere. Behind the breaker box, the furnace, the refrigerator, stove, floor vents, anywhere that the are passageways through the floor for plumbing and/or wiring.

I'd start by removing all of the items from any cabinets and looking in there. Some may have panels that can be removed. If you don't find it there, I'd pull the stove and fridge followed by the furnace. Look inside the plenum (most likely on the floor) and then finally the vents.

The vents are a real pain. I would only pull those if you turn on the furnace and don't get air through one (or more) of the vents. You'll know if they are in the vents because it'll also get worse.

My mice loved the vents in my old camper. I replaced those vents two times in 3 years because they kept going in there and chewing through them to build nests.

Currently located between Georgia and Insanity.

007matman AKA Matt
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 07:43 PM   #7
Site Team

You might try an endoscope inspection camera to look in the vents. It is like a borescope. Some of the have a pretty long reach.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=endoscope...s_ts-doa-p_2_9

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dead mouse