Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2022, 03:51 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

TPMS

A friend recently told me of the TPMS systems that monitor tire pressure and some even monitor temperature of the tires. I was thinking of only installing this on my 2012 Sunset Trail Reserve 30. I have heard so many horror stories of the damage a blown tire can do. Thoughts?
Old 10-09-2022, 04:25 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Well worth it for peace of mind. I have TST brand. I caught a couple of nail punctures before any damage was done.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 10:25 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Dittos on TST. Truck system technologies. Works great.
Note: If you get the flow-through type of sensor, you will need to change your valve stems to metal ones. I have the standard ones which require removal to add air. A small hassle, but additional air is not needed very often.
I would not want to pull a trailer without them. A blown tire can cause thousands of $$$ of damage to your rig.
Gladiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 11:36 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lone Ranger View Post
A friend recently told me of the TPMS systems that monitor tire pressure and some even monitor temperature of the tires. I was thinking of only installing this on my 2012 Sunset Trail Reserve 30. I have heard so many horror stories of the damage a blown tire can do. Thoughts?
My TPMS saved my rig. I have a China Bomb tire suddenly separate and the TPMS alerted me in time to pull over just before it came apart. It could have been a real disaster; I was in the middle of nowhere.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 06:53 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

I do not travel far in my rig and was considering an inexpensive option using a Tymate TMPS I found on amazon. The reviews indicate that it will likely have a range that will work for me and it is only $80. I can live without the flow-through feature. Anyone tried this brand?
Old 10-16-2022, 07:23 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Quote:
I do not travel far in my rig and was considering an inexpensive option using a Tymate TMPS I found on amazon. The reviews indicate that it will likely have a range that will work for me and it is only $80. I can live without the flow-through feature. Anyone tried this brand?
You get what you pay for, as the saying goes. When it comes to tire safety I don't skimp on the system. I bought the TST system. Notwithstanding my RAM 2500 has tire pressure monitoring, I have to look at the screen on the dash to see the pressures. There isn't a temperature reading. I put the TST sensors on my RAM tires as well, including the spare on the RAM and the spare on my trailer. Now I can see all temps and pressures. As others have said, the TST sensors saved their RV.
Old 10-17-2022, 10:43 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingerdinger View Post
My TPMS saved my rig. I have a China Bomb tire suddenly separate and the TPMS alerted me in time to pull over just before it came apart. It could have been a real disaster; I was in the middle of nowhere.
I recently put a TPMS system on my tires. I was wondering what kind of alert you got that the tire was about to fail. Did the pressure shoot up or down rapidly, was it a temp spike? I’ve tried to figure out what happens in that case and am not sure.
bws1105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 11:30 AM   #8
Site Team

The TPMS is very helpful in monitoring the PSI, but not actuate at all for internal temps on the tire. If you want true temps, then you should get the internal sensors and have them installed inside the tire.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 01:55 PM   #9
New Camper

For sure worth the peace of mind! I have the TireMinder i10 and it has worked great. I get an audible alert when a tire gets too high, low or hot. You can also easily monitor the tires as you are traveling. Well worth the investment!
rustyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 02:34 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

TPMS

I also have the Tireminder i10 and am very very happy with them. If there is a pressure issue you will hear an audible alarm. But another benefit is, as part of my pre travel routine I always check the tire pressure, well, with tpms' all you have to do is turn your monitor on and you will know if any of the tires need air. So, you don't have to check each individual tire. I view that as a big convenience.

I wouldn't travel anywhere without them
Old 10-30-2022, 03:23 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
The Tymate does not show pressures until after driving 8-10 minutes, this would not be acceptable for me. I want to check the pressures before I hit the road.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 06:06 AM   #12
Wit
Weekend Camper

My wife bought the Tymate tpms for a gift this spring. It takes it 15 min. to get signal and then it may not update for the rest of the trip. It might let you know you have a leak an hour later. I threw it in the trash. Just my experience, but I don't think it's what you're looking for.
Wit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2022, 08:20 AM   #13
Seasonal Camper

I monitor my tire pressures regularly (Every 30 minutes or so) with my TPMS system. I have on a couple occasions found a tire was losing pressure before the pressure was low enough to trigger the TPMS system. This gave me more time to find a safe place to pull over and investigate. One time I found a 3/8 bolt in the tire and the last time a tire that was separating.

The TPMS saved me from a total tire failure and most likely damage to the trailer.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote