Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2022, 11:23 AM   #1
New Camper

Hot water tank questions?

I just recently purchase a 2007 Crossroads Zinger 27ft 5th wheel. The previous owner said the heater did not work with electric, but will with propane. he said it needs a heating element, and had a new one on the table. When I winterized it yesterday I was unable to find where exactly the element is located? And when I pulled the drain plug, there was no anode rod attached to the plug.
Is there supposed to be an anode rod attached to this drain plug?
Where is the heating element located. I have pictures on my phone if need be, I just figured somebody here would no the answers without needing the picture. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
HammerJr73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 11:45 AM   #2
Site Team

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Check inside the water heater door and the brand should be there. By your description you have a Atwood/Dometic water heater. They have a aluminum tank and do not have a anode rod. The electric element is located on the back/rear of the tank. You must access it from inside. If you find your model number of the water heater manuals are avaliable on line or in the Documents section above. The elements are not hard to change just need the correct size socket and breaker bar as they sometimes are very tight.

On the back side where the water lines/ by pass attaches there will be a black box down low. Remove that and the element is located there. Just remember to turn off any power 120 v to the water heater.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 12:06 PM   #3
New Camper

Thank you so much for the information, unfortunately I live about an hour and a half from where it is located, I did take some pictures and I did notice on some of the information on the door that is said to refer to Atwood Service center, so I would guess it probably is the Atwood brand you were referring to.
I never looked on the inside for anything but I will find a manual and figure it out. thanks again for your help, very much!
HammerJr73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 02:24 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

There is a special socket for the element. I had to buy one when I had to change mine in my 2013 Zinger ZT260BH. It’s not expensive and worth it to get one. Made it easier to remove.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 04:39 PM   #5
Site Team

You can use a 1 1/2" inch socket but the Camco #09951 https://www.amazon.com/Camco-09951-P...7864145&sr=8-2 Is what I use. Costs a little more than the cheap ones but after fighting and bending the cheap handle/rod it is worth the investment.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anode rod, heating element