Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2014, 10:14 AM   #1
New Camper

What works without the battery?

Hi all,
A bit of a newbie question...
I just picked up our trailer out of storage that we got at the end of the season last fall and I was wondering why I cannot run anything electrical while I'm on shore power, but without the battery connected?
Perhaps this is normal however it seems odd to me.
Thanks,
Shane

Shane & Stephanie, Sophia & Jane
TT 2014 ST29SS
TV 2013 F150 SCrew Ecoboost 3.73 Max Tow Package
kid Hauler 2009 Mazda 5
Midlife Crisis 2006 Porsche 911 C4S
EighthHussar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:27 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

My first response was the toilet - assuming you are hooked up to site water.

But after reading, you should have your battery connected and be hooked up to shore power and everything will work. Other than that, the smoke detector should work if your 9v battery isn't dead!! On some units the battery must be in place and connected for everything to work even though shore power somewhat bypasses it. Has to do with the converter setup the newer units use. Your plug ins should work without the battery connected but I may be wrong on that.

Somebody with more info will be along shortly.
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:55 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Unless things have changed since '11, everything should work with shore power alone, but only provided all fuses/breakers are ok and the converter is working ok. If the converter is bad or the breaker supplying 120 VAC to it has tripped, then lights and almost all appliances will not work as they require 12 VDC for their control boards and/or ignitors.

While I don't think it is a good idea to run the converter w/o a load, i.e. the battery, I will do exactly that for a few min. at a time. Like when checking battery fluid level, I will use the battery disconnect switch to isolate the battery.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 03:38 PM   #4
New Camper

Ok so thanks for the replies. Once I hooked up a battery I was fine with the exception of my fireplace and radio/DVD. Not sure what gives. I plugged the fireplace in with an extension cord and it worked. None of the breakers are tripped, it just seems to be that plug.

TT 2014 ST29SS
kid Hauler 2009 Mazda 5
Old 04-05-2014, 04:53 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EighthHussar View Post
Ok so thanks for the replies. Once I hooked up a battery I was fine with the exception of my fireplace and radio/DVD. Not sure what gives. I plugged the fireplace in with an extension cord and it worked. None of the breakers are tripped, it just seems to be that plug.
Also, you need to check all of the GFI outlets. If they are tripped, then that outlet will be dead plus any other outlets that are downstream from it. On my unit, the GFI outlet in the kitchen also controls five other outlets in the living room. The fireplace should be 120 VAC only, but I'm not sure. Check to see if it is plugged into a GFI outlet. The radio/DVD should be 12 VDC only and it will likely have an inline fuse just behind it, could also have a loose connection.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 04:53 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

That plug may be on one if the GFCI lines in the kitchen area but they run a fair bit on one circuit in these so check all of your GFCI plugs and reset them. Might be the cause. If not, kill all the power and check the wiring to the plug itself. May have come loose. In addition if your fireplace is in the slide you may need to check the wires underneath that connect from the main fuse panel there was a case here where the connections in that box were loose.
Saskatoon, SK
Old 04-05-2014, 04:55 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayle1 View Post
Also, you need to check all of the GFI outlets. If they are tripped, then that outlet will be dead plus any other outlets that are downstream from it. On my unit, the GFI outlet in the kitchen also controls five other outlets in the living room. The fireplace should be 120 VAC only, but I'm not sure. Check to see if it is plugged into a GFI outlet. The radio/DVD should be 12 VDC only and it will likely have an inline fuse just behind it, could also have a loose connection.
Beat me to it.
Saskatoon, SK
Old 04-05-2014, 05:31 PM   #8
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayle1 View Post
The GFI wasn't tripped. I checked just about every outlet in the trailer and they were all good but the fireplace outlet. I'll look into the fuse for the radio. Acknowledging that the fireplace and the radio should be on different circuits, but it's quite a coincidence that they are next to each other I the trailer.
Anyway thanks folks!

TT 2014 ST29SS
kid Hauler 2009 Mazda 5
Old 04-05-2014, 06:11 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Since the fireplace is 120VAC and the radio is 12VDC it kinda goes without saying they HAVE to be on different circuits.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:20 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

did you check the toggle switch on your control panel? It has to be on fireplace and not hot water heater. It is designed so only one will get 120v power at a time as to not overload the circuit.

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 06:23 PM   #11
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw3jason View Post
did you check the toggle switch on your control panel? It has to be on fireplace and not hot water heater. It is designed so only one will get 120v power at a time as to not overload the circuit.
Yeah. It is switched to fireplace. It's really strange. I'll make a call to the dealer on Monday.
Thanks,

TT 2014 ST29SS
kid Hauler 2009 Mazda 5