Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2022, 10:41 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Batteries in winter boon docking

I've been stretching the use of the camper into winter, mostly boon docking but having a genie to charge the batteries. Last week it was down into the single digits and the batteries take a small charge but they discharge pretty fast. Main issue is the last couple of hours at night the batteries don't have enough juice for the heater.

Been searching online and YouTube for ideas on how to improve the battery protection in the cold. Camper has the batteries externally mounted on the tongue, I do have a front storage that I could move the batteries into, but that would consume some useful storage space. Also considered building a box on the tongue that I can run heating mat into just to insulate. Also looked at lithium batteries, but the cost......notable.

Has anyone seen upgrades or mods to resolve? Most of the search results are about winterizing and removing, Im trying to go camping year round.
Old 11-20-2022, 05:50 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Do not put your batteries in your compartment unless they are in sealed battery boxes that are vented to the outside. Hydrogen gas is produced when charging and is highly explosive in the right concentrations.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 10:04 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 660catman View Post
Do not put your batteries in your compartment unless they are in sealed battery boxes that are vented to the outside. Hydrogen gas is produced when charging and is highly explosive in the right concentrations.

Yep, thats part of why it isn't high on my ranking of solutions. And the effort to build something will be a PITA.

And ideas on solutions?
Old 11-20-2022, 01:38 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbaZabba View Post
Yep, thats part of why it isn't high on my ranking of solutions. And the effort to build something will be a PITA.

And ideas on solutions?

Pretty well all the 5th wheel campers have that type of battery box with a tube to vent through the outside wall. Batteries are in the basement section accessed front the front of the side.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote