Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2022, 06:16 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Thetford Comode Pedal Repair

Thetford Aqua-magic high profile commode FIX

OH THE HUMANITY….!

Three days before the end of our week in Savannah GA the flush pedal came off of our toilet.

If you’ve got one of these, if it hasn’t happened already, trust me, it’s going to sooner or later.

Let me explain.

When you depress the pedal, the first half of the ‘throw’ opens the water valve letting water rinse the bowl, the last half opens the ball valve at the bottom.

Now Imagine the pedal coming off after the water starts flowing but just before the ball valve opens, you guessed it, suddenly there’s just never enough paper towels on hand.

Thankfully, before the water cascaded over the rim I figured out how it all works, on my knees I manually opened the ball valve, and shut off the water, disaster averted.

I was surprised how poorly the pedal was attached to the pedestal assembly.
It’s a push fit. A slightly oversize ridge molded at the hilt of the pedal pivot shaft engages in a corresponding groove inside the pedestal bearing. (I use the term bearing loosely) Presumably it gets press fit at the factory and would engage with a satisfying ‘click’

My ridge was worn and would not completely re-engage or stay put when I tried to re-assemble it.

I searched for a replacement online and found an OEM part on ‘Amazon’ for $35. Given how little use mine has had, and how gently we treat it, my suspicion is it would probably fail again in a couple of years or maybe less.

I figured it was worth a stab at re-engineering what I had and set about designing a reliable ‘FIX’.

If you’re interested keep reading, if not, Happy Thanksgiving.

The plastic pedal on the whole is a rigid and nicely injection molded part. On the inside it has openings that accept the two actuating levers that operate the valves, one for water in, the other to dump out, (excuse the pun) and the return spring. The outside is the pretty bit you can see.

Centered between these openings is the pedal pivot shaft that when installed extends into the pedestal about 1 ½”. It’s this spindle that the pedal pivots on, it has the ridge molded on it It looks like a piece of 1” pipe, it’s not, but that’s what it looks like. The inside dia. is just under ¾” and it remains the same size all the way through to the outside surface of the pedal where it looks like it’s capped off.

I had a piece of hard nylon rod, about 1” diameter and 6” long lying around in my shop, this was to become my ‘NEW’ pivot shaft.

I turned it down until it fit into the spindle inside the pedal. It is just undersize enough to allow the pedal to pivot, but not sloppy enough to wobble.

(Photo below shows NEW nylon shaft, the piece I cut off the pedal and the bolt)

I cut the spindle off flush with the inside face of the pedal. The piece I cut off I glued with epoxy into the bearing on the pedestal where it originally fit. The pedestal is still in situ in my TT.

This reduced the inside diameter of what was the original bearing on the pedestal to exactly match that on what remains on the original pedal.

Have I lost you yet.

OK, back to my length of nylon. I cut it to length, about 3 ½”, drilled and tapped the pedal end to take a 1 ½” M7 bolt, and then drilled a corresponding hole through the outside surface of the pedal itself. The un-tapped end is epoxied into the pedestal creating a NEW spindle and bearing surface. (See photo below)

Once cured the pedal is attached with the M7 bolt and washers inside and out. Voila! Fixed.

It feels tons better, the previous flexy feeling has gone completely, I’m still going to keep an eye on this over the next few years, I don’t foresee any problems, but for the time being, I saved myself a few bucks and hopefully fixed what I’m sure would have become a recurring issue.
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 07:12 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Looks good! More than likely it will hold out. If I remember I’m going to check mine when I bring the camper home from storage in the spring.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 05:49 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Awesome Thank you for the fix
Old 11-27-2022, 02:54 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Send a message via MSN to KECoats
Excellent. I've gone through the exact same experience with the pedal falling off the toilet pedastal, except I self-prompted the problem.

My pedal was squeaking every time you flushed the toilet which is a pain in the night when the partner is trying to sleep. SO, I went through several gyrations trying to lubricate the surfaces to no avail. Squeak, Squeak. Then by accident I found out the same thing you did, the pedal could easily be removed. This allowed better access to the moving parts and surfaces. Ended up lubricating it with vasoline to get rid of the squeak.

Worked so well that the pedal then fell off each time you flushed. CRAP. So now the solution is bungee cord wrapped around the pedal and pedestal to hold it together.

Working fine, but the other half does not like the contrasting colors of the bungee. OH BOY. Been kinda looking for white bungees, but if not found soon, may have to resort to your better solution.

You did a nice job of explaining it and photographing it. That shows me our pedals are twins and your solution should work fine providing I don't muck it up. Thanks for posting it.
KECoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 06:13 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

KECoats,

Thanks for giving me a laugh, I feel your pain, I think I might be married to your wife's sister.

Good luck with the white bungee, I wish I'd thought of that, could've written that fix up in ten minutes..
Biggles607 is offline   Reply With Quote