Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2023, 10:39 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Double slide frame sag. Addind a third stabilizer

My 2013 STR 26RB has 2 opposing slides. The larger dinette slide and a smaller kitchen slide. The entry door next to the kitchen slide has begun to "catch" in the upper left corner (near the kitchen slide) when both slides are out. i suspect a slight sag happens in the frame rails with both slides out due to loss of "box" strength, and reading how well TT are built (Ha). No evidence of frame or suspension deterioration. The door does not "catch" when the slides are in for transport.

I'm thinking of adding a third stabilizer in front of the wheels to support this area better. Anyone else have this issue or done such a mod?
Old 07-16-2023, 05:05 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

I've had that problem as well. It seems though that once the trailer is set up with the slide out the door opens without a hitch but as soon as the stabilizers are down that is when the door binds. I was going to use my jack underneath the door to lift the frame a little to take the flex out of it. I haven't tried that as yet but think that should relieve the pressure on the frame.
Old 07-16-2023, 06:11 PM   #3
Site Team

I remember reading on here where that has been done by others in the past.
You guys aren't cranking to much pressure on your stabilizers are you?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 06:52 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

When I lower the stabilizers it is just enough to put a little lift pressure to move the chassis a little bit. The trailer still has a bit of wobble in it afterwards which is just enough to take the rock and roll out of it.

They are not meant to lift the trailer and if you try doing that something is going to break in a heart beat. That is the same when they are retracted. Too much torque at the end cand damage them as well. I took one of mine apart and fixed it in the past.

Right now I have one with no power to it. That is the rear one and don't need it right now. I'm in Kentucky heading back to Manitoba and will fix it there when I have more time to diagnose it.
Old 07-16-2023, 09:08 PM   #5
Site Team

Robert Just a question. Are you leveling then stabilizers then slides? The last 2 5th wheels 05 Cruiser and the 09 Seville did not have any problems. I understand the drop frame on the Seville is different. The only thing that stands out is both of mine had the thru frame Lippert slides could be a difference in the frames. Before that we had a Salem with a single slide and if the landing legs did not hit the ground the same the door would bind some. Went to the W mart and bought 4 small plastic cutting boards. They are 1/4" each so just add what was needed to even the legs out. May be something or not.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 05:32 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

My buddy has a 34’ 5th wheel that he wants to add another jack ahead of the wheels. He’s contemplating this one from Lippert. You can go this route or the cheap route and add a manual jack where needed.

https://store.lci1.com/psx1-high-spe...h-spd-pwr-stab
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 07:27 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 660catman View Post
My buddy has a 34’ 5th wheel that he wants to add another jack ahead of the wheels. He’s contemplating this one from Lippert. You can go this route or the cheap route and add a manual jack where needed.

https://store.lci1.com/psx1-high-spe...h-spd-pwr-stab
My Rockwood came with the PSX2 installed at the rear. It is like the PSX1, but with 2 motors instead of just 1. I really like it. The site does not have to be level, nor do you have to try to level it before using these. You just hold the extend switch until both feet contact the ground and barely raises the trailer.

I helped one of my sons install a PSX1 on his 5th wheel last month. It was an easy install.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 03:42 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

I have added the center Ground Control 3.0 to our 2020 Keystone Cougar 315RLS. It was a big and expensive job to do so though. I don't think I would do it again as I am not convinced it has done much to stabilize the rig to the point the cost offsets the benefit. You have to purchase a set of Left and Right Stabilizers, the l&r wiring harnesses and a new control board (4 point to 6 point) I purchased everything from e-trailer.com. I think I was all in for about $2500 +. A friend helped me do the labor to install them and I have to say, it was not an easy modification. I am convinced that unless the rig came with the LevelUp hydraulic leveling system, these rigs just won't be 100% stable with any other type of leveling/stabilizing system. Our Heartland Cyclone Toy Hauler we had prior to the Sunset Trail and Now Keystone Cougar had the LevelUp and when deployed, that thing was rock solid. No wobbling/shaking, floor deflection, no nothing. It may as well have been on a foundation like a home.
kckettridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 06:39 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kckettridge View Post
I have added the center Ground Control 3.0 to our 2020 Keystone Cougar 315RLS. It was a big and expensive job to do so though. I don't think I would do it again as I am not convinced it has done much to stabilize the rig to the point the cost offsets the benefit. You have to purchase a set of Left and Right Stabilizers, the l&r wiring harnesses and a new control board (4 point to 6 point) I purchased everything from e-trailer.com. I think I was all in for about $2500 +. A friend helped me do the labor to install them and I have to say, it was not an easy modification. I am convinced that unless the rig came with the LevelUp hydraulic leveling system, these rigs just won't be 100% stable with any other type of leveling/stabilizing system. Our Heartland Cyclone Toy Hauler we had prior to the Sunset Trail and Now Keystone Cougar had the LevelUp and when deployed, that thing was rock solid. No wobbling/shaking, floor deflection, no nothing. It may as well have been on a foundation like a home.

I don't know if you have seen this, but here's a link you might find helpful.
https://www.crossroadsowners.com/for...gle-15602.html
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote