Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2020, 05:05 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Inverter/Charger

Does anyone have experience using an inverter/charger that you attach to your tow vehicle's battery and connects to the trailer's shore line plug? One has to leave the tow vehicle idling while supplying power to the trailer. for example see https://cargenerator.com/ or Inverter Charger | Freedom HF Inverter/Charger | Xantrex.

Supposedly, they can be used to charge the trailer's battery bank. Is that true?
Old 07-05-2020, 05:50 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Looks like an overpriced 1000w inverter to me with fancy marketing. 200-300 watts for a fridge?? not likely. same for a heater/furnace..
Old 07-05-2020, 06:32 PM   #3
Site Team

Walmart has them also.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Xantrex-F...verter/2994992

It's a Modified Sine Wave. Not a pure, but if you're not intending to use it for any electronics that requires a pure sine wave, it should work. Xantrex has a pretty good name in the field.
If I can ask, what is your need for one?
You must be thinking about dry camping?

Some of the higher end RV's are using inverters to run the residential fridge. They can get AC when on the road traveling to keep the fridge cold. So I guess you are right that it would get the DC from the tow vehicle, and transfers it to the RV.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:26 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
.................................................. ...........................
You must be thinking about dry camping?

Some of the higher end RV's are using inverters to run the residential fridge. They can get AC when on the road traveling to keep the fridge cold. So I guess you are right that it would get the DC from the tow vehicle, and transfers it to the RV.
Yes, dry camping. I have the typical RV fridge. Right now I have a suitcase solar panel, so I can only power up what the battery does.
I t would be nice to have a backup to charge my trailer bsttery.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:22 AM   #5
Site Team

If that's all you want to do, have you considered a small generator and battery charger?
I think by the time you would get that inverter hooked up you would probably have at least $400 invested. A small generator could come in handy for other uses also.
A lot of the smaller ones aren't to expensive, and some are pretty quiet with low decibel rating.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 04:10 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Precisely. I have a Wen 2000 watt I bought off amazon a few years back for $600. I use it for when I go to car stereo shows, paired with a 12v power supply ($80) to keep the battery charged up and topped off.
The generator has been flawless, starts on first pull, is ridiculously quiet (just as quiet as the $1200 Honda) and sips gas. I have also used it to power my jobsite trailer while waiting for electricians to get me power. (lights, laptop, printer, ect. no heat or AC) and have run it for 8 hour days on less than a gallon of gas.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:30 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Depending on how many AC amps you are wanting you will quickly decide for a generator. Just use the old Watts = V X I formula. We use a 600 Watt (by the way I would suggest use just a pure sine wave inverter - the AC electronics in your trailer will thank you) inverter. Which means I have approx. max of 5 amps of 120V AC power. The kicker is the DC battery draw for that measly 5 amps AC is a draw of 50 Amps DC. You can see the bigger the inverter the way bigger DC draw on you batteries or a running tow vehicle. We have 2 100 amp batteries. The set up as I configured it currently will run the TV and my computer and network if we need it. (Samlex Solar PST-600-12 PST Series Pure Sine Wave Inverter)
Old 07-12-2020, 08:51 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Much easier charging trailer batteries from TOW using a 7-pin harness (B+) charging line? This line is FUSED and Relay Controlled by IGN= ON so that you do NOT find a dead TOW start battery :-) Make sure GROUND is properly sized and wired too.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:11 AM   #9
New Camper

External inverter use

[QUOTE=Monarch;143404]Does anyone have experience using an inverter/charger that you attach to your tow vehicle's battery and connects to the trailer's shore line plug? One has to leave the tow vehicle idling while supplying power to the trailer. for example see https://cargenerator.com/ or Inverter Charger | Freedom HF Inverter/Charger | Xantrex.

Supposedly, they can be used to charge the trailer's battery bank. Is that true?
My primary inverter failed and the battery got completely drained which shut down all systems in the camper. As we are seasonal this year I needed to get the frig and lights powered up. I Purchased a auto charger/inverter at Walmart that had battery minder function. I took about six hours to fully recharge but once done it operated just like the internal unit and allowed us to have full function in the camper until I got the replacement a week later.
Robldoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 09:33 AM   #10
Gone Traveling

[QUOTE=Robldoit;143585]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarch View Post
Does anyone have experience using an inverter/charger that you attach to your tow vehicle's battery and connects to the trailer's shore line plug? One has to leave the tow vehicle idling while supplying power to the trailer. for example see https://cargenerator.com/ or Inverter Charger | Freedom HF Inverter/Charger | Xantrex.

My primary inverter failed and the battery got completely drained which shut down all systems in the camper. As we are seasonal this year I needed to get the frig and lights powered up. I Purchased a auto charger/inverter at Walmart that had battery minder function. I took about six hours to fully recharge but once done it operated just like the internal unit and allowed us to have full function in the camper until I got the replacement a week later.
Sounds like you left your vehicle connected to the RV running for a week? Surely not?
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:22 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
[

Sounds like you left your vehicle connected to the RV running for a week? Surely not?
Or the vehicle not running with the inverter attached?
Old 07-14-2020, 11:45 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Perhaps, I could just charge my trailer's batteries directly from my truck using jumper cables? Would I have to disconnect my trailer from the batteries?