Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2021, 04:34 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Is There A Better Made Roof Vent Cover?

My trailer uses the Camco 40155 14x14" roof vent cover. They are pretty cheap and don't last too long. Does anyone know of a direct replacement that's made out of better quality materials? I don't want to upgrade to anything different, just the same style but better made. Thanks!
Old 07-02-2021, 06:54 PM   #2
Site Team

I don't know of a better cover--maybe some one else has heard of one.
Why do you think they don't last very long? My rig is 13 going on 14 years old. I replaced it once. That was my fault. I forgot to crank the vent down before I pulled out of the shed. If it wasn't for that I believe the original would still be on the roof.
Does your trailed sit outside? If so, that might be the reason.
If it does sit outside, you might consider something to cover it. Sun is hard on them, and I imagine winter is to.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 07:05 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I don't know of a better cover--maybe some one else has heard of one.
Why do you think they don't last very long? My rig is 13 going on 14 years old. I replaced it once. That was my fault. I forgot to crank the vent down before I pulled out of the shed. If it wasn't for that I believe the original would still be on the roof.
Does your trailed sit outside? If so, that might be the reason.
If it does sit outside, you might consider something to cover it. Sun is hard on them, and I imagine winter is to.
Yes it sits outside winter/summer in Michigan. This will be my third set.
Old 07-02-2021, 08:00 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I replaced both of our trailer vents last year with these Camco . I used the ''smoked'' which are smoked/transparent to allow a little more light into the bath and bed area. They seemed of pretty decent quality and replaced the original black ones which were 10 years. There use to be vent covers made of metal/aluminum but haven't seen them since my first trailer 40 yrs ago or more.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-02-2021, 10:01 PM   #5
Site Team

Put a vent covers over them.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg vc.jpg (6.4 KB, 150 views)

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 06:21 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceallenk View Post
I replaced both of our trailer vents last year with these Camco . I used the ''smoked'' which are smoked/transparent to allow a little more light into the bath and bed area. They seemed of pretty decent quality and replaced the original black ones which were 10 years. There use to be vent covers made of metal/aluminum but haven't seen them since my first trailer 40 yrs ago or more.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Mine are white, or used to be white. They turn dark grayish and get brittle. I wonder if I started with translucent they would stay that way?
Old 07-03-2021, 07:44 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Whatever you get be sure it is UV resistant.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 06:20 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

As mark5w suggested install the covers. They come white, black or smoke. I had white on last camper and new camper I installed black ones. This will allow you to keep vent open without rain getting in. Very easy to install too.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 07:28 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

X2 about the Maxair covers. They are easy to install, and you can keep them open in the rain or down the highway.
That said, I upgraded to the MaxAir MaxFans, auto with remote.. those fans are amazing! Quiet, move a ton of air, and the remote is great for our high ceilings.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 07:38 PM   #10
Site Team

Does the remote shut the fan off AND close/open the cover.
Old 07-04-2021, 07:50 PM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Does the remote shut the fan off AND close/open the cover.
Yes, it opens and closes the cover when you turn it on and off, or you can leave it open and fan off. It has 10 speeds.
Mine is the Deluxe model that has temperature control if desired.. it opens automatically when the unit reaches a pre-set temp, and the fan goes faster as the temp goes up.
I like the 'ceiling fan' feature in the cold weather, you can have the fan running with the cover closed to circulate air.
You replace the entire fan/hood housing, so it means removing the unit from the roof, and re-caulking. I changed both my bathroom fan and the vent only over the bed. The remote is especially nice for the one over the bed, so you don't have to crawl on the bed to open the vent, which had no fan.
Old 07-05-2021, 07:08 PM   #12
Site Team

Doug, is this what you have? It looks like the cover and grill must all hinge down when it closes. If that's the case, it must not stick up above roof very high when closed. Do you by any chance have some measurements?

Old 07-05-2021, 07:24 PM   #13
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Doug, is this what you have? It looks like the cover and grill must all hinge down when it closes. If that's the case, it must not stick up above roof very high when closed. Do you by any chance have some measurements?

Lloyd, yes, that is what I have. That must be a newer model or something, the remote is different. Here is a link to the dimensions as stated by Etrailer:
https://www.etrailer.com/question-287630.html
There is also a picture of it closed, and a video of it.
It fits in the standard 14x14 vent opening. The clamshell is quite long (22 1/2"), so you'll have to make sure there isn't something real close to the rear of it, like the A/C or a tank vent.
I think this is one of the best upgrades I've ever done. I can use my Air Conditioning a whole lot less than others who have poor ventilation.
Old 07-05-2021, 07:38 PM   #14
Site Team

Thanks Doug. I'm not at all familiar with the Max Air, but it looks like it should work for my setup. I don't have a lot of over head clearance so I need to be careful of what I get.

I have the fantastic fan now but it died a couple years back.
I see they aren't bashful on the price.
Old 07-05-2021, 07:47 PM   #15
Seasonal Camper

I don't think it sits any higher open than those Max vent covers. Mine sits well below the height of the A/C unit by maybe 6 inches, open.
Yes, they are pricey.. I'd shop around though. The link I sent is one of the highest.
Old 07-06-2021, 05:07 PM   #16
Site Team

I have a regular MaxxAir vent in my bathroom and one like Lloyd's picture in my bedroom, but both have a smoke color lid. I really like them, and the fact that they will close themselves if it begins to rain. However, it would take a pretty heavy rain coming from the rear and splattering off the roof to come in and close the one I have in the bedroom.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 3 trips, 27 nights in 9 states, 5067 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 10:20 AM   #17
Site Team

I was thinking that I would have to suck it up and pop for a new roof fan. This morning I started searching for my owners manual for the fantastic fan that's in the camper. I couldn't find the darn thing. I keep all my owner manuals in a brief case and carry then in the camper in case they are needed. Apparently this is one that I didn't put back in the brief case.

Well, I went out to look it over anyway. Low and behold the darn thing is working. I think what might have been the problem was it has a rain sensor, and the last time I tried to use it was in the fall a couple years ago. It probably had moisture/condensation on the sensor and I just blew it off as the thing was shot.

So I cleaned everything up, lubed the switch that's up topside under the hood (it was showing some rust).

A little snooping around this morning saved me 3 to 4 hundred dollars. YEA!

Now if I could just find a site to down load a user manual I would be in even better shape. I'm not having any luck so far.
It's a model 8100st

Anybody know where to find one?
Old 07-08-2021, 03:21 PM   #18
Weekend Camper

I appreciate that everyone is having such a spirited discussion on vent cover covers, but more to the point, I replaced the same white covers. Old vs. new.
Old 07-09-2021, 10:40 AM   #19
Weekend Camper

We installed Maxair vent covers on our RV within days of purchase (new). 3 years later the square vent cover in the bathroom started to crack and fall apart. Its the vent with the fart fan. All the other square vents are in good condition with no signs of deterioration. Seemed strange the cover failed even with a Maxair. Since the square vent is different than the others, I wrote it up as a cheap part used in construction. Replaced the square vent cover with:

Camp'N 14" Universal RV, Trailer, Camper, Motorhome Roof Vent Cover. (Search Amazon)

Fairly easy install. Got a two pack. Cuz U Nvr Kno!

Maxair (or other vent covers) may not protect the square vent covers from deteriorating. I suspect square vent cover quality. JMHO
ntrsandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 12:12 PM   #20
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrsandman View Post
We installed Maxair vent covers on our RV within days of purchase (new). 3 years later the square vent cover in the bathroom started to crack and fall apart. Its the vent with the fart fan. All the other square vents are in good condition with no signs of deterioration. Seemed strange the cover failed even with a Maxair. Since the square vent is different than the others, I wrote it up as a cheap part used in construction. Replaced the square vent cover with:

Camp'N 14" Universal RV, Trailer, Camper, Motorhome Roof Vent Cover. (Search Amazon)

Fairly easy install. Got a two pack. Cuz U Nvr Kno!

Maxair (or other vent covers) may not protect the square vent covers from deteriorating. I suspect square vent cover quality. JMHO
So I'm a little bummed. The Camp'n covers (from the video) look like better quality. I would have tried them had I known of them. I may still!