Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2020, 12:38 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Wireless Rear View Backup Camera Issues/Questions

Have not had good luck at all with a wireless backup camera (although I love having the camera). I've tried 3 different ones and all do the same thing; the video gets choppy, freezes, and cuts out all together (even though I have up to a 4-bar signal). Trailer is only an 18' Zinger, Tow vehicle is a Tahoe with the camera mounted on the dash. Eventually found out the signal would cut out when near large tower antennas (possibly cell or microwave towers). Also, I've lost 2 antennas from the wind breaking them off (the antenna is on a bracket above the roofline at the back edge). So I think my next try is a wired camera. Anyone have a suggestion for a wired system less than $150? Or closer to $100 if possible. Thanks!
Old 09-12-2020, 01:00 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHanus View Post
Have not had good luck at all with a wireless backup camera (although I love having the camera). I've tried 3 different ones and all do the same thing; the video gets choppy, freezes, and cuts out all together (even though I have up to a 4-bar signal). Trailer is only an 18' Zinger, Tow vehicle is a Tahoe with the camera mounted on the dash. Eventually found out the signal would cut out when near large tower antennas (possibly cell or microwave towers). Also, I've lost 2 antennas from the wind breaking them off (the antenna is on a bracket above the roofline at the back edge). So I think my next try is a wired camera. Anyone have a suggestion for a wired system less than $150? Or closer to $100 if possible. Thanks!
I have a furrion wireless observation camera on my 42ft fithwheel and it works great it is pricey but you get what you pay for
Old 09-12-2020, 10:20 PM   #3
Site Team

I have a Rear View Safety Systems camera installed on mine. It is fantastic, but not inexpensive. It runs $360 on Amazon. Here is a link to a post about my installation: https://www.crossroadsowners.com/for...tml#post138220

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 04:54 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I ended up with this unit, after struggling with other wireless, and even a wired setup that seemed to work only when it felt like it.... So far it works great, nice, clear picture. and only $180 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 09-13-2020, 08:55 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

I tried several wireless and finally gave up and went with a wired unit.

I had a wireless one day in heavy traffic in Salt Lake City and every time a semi would pass the wireless signal was lost when I needed to see what was going on the most. That burned me on wireless.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 03:35 PM   #6
Site Team

For me, losing a signal for a second, or even for a 1/4 second, is too dangerous to depend upon a wireless signal. That's why I went to a wired unit. Mine is on 100% of the time and the high definition picture never goes off. I also don't have to have my trailer lights on because it is powered through the cable from the truck.

2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Old 09-14-2020, 03:26 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisK View Post
For me, losing a signal for a second, or even for a 1/4 second, is too dangerous to depend upon a wireless signal. That's why I went to a wired unit. Mine is on 100% of the time and the high definition picture never goes off. I also don't have to have my trailer lights on because it is powered through the cable from the truck.
I get what you're saying, but at the same time, is it necessary to have the rear view on 100% of the time? Most will use it for backing into a spot, where speeds "should be " slow enough that if it cuts out for a second, it wouldn't be a major thing. (Although I find it unacceptable for something you spend so much $ on to ever cut out)
Admittedly, I have turned mine on while in Heavy traffic to watch for the occasional speedster looking to pass in a rush while changing lanes, because turn signals don't always ward them off, But for the majority of my travel, the cam is off. Just another distraction I don't need.
Old 09-14-2020, 05:00 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrizz View Post
I get what you're saying, but at the same time, is it necessary to have the rear view on 100% of the time? Most will use it for backing into a spot, where speeds "should be " slow enough that if it cuts out for a second, it wouldn't be a major thing. (Although I find it unacceptable for something you spend so much $ on to ever cut out)
Admittedly, I have turned mine on while in Heavy traffic to watch for the occasional speedster looking to pass in a rush while changing lanes, because turn signals don't always ward them off, But for the majority of my travel, the cam is off. Just another distraction I don't need.
I leave mine on all the time the only time I pay attention to it is when changing lanes
Old 09-14-2020, 05:12 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodwalker View Post
I leave mine on all the time the only time I pay attention to it is when changing lanes
I mostly use it while driving, I like knowing what's going on behind me on the highway. As a backup camera I seldom use it. I may only back up a couple times per trip (I make a point of not being in a situation where backing up is my only option). I did buy a wired camera. We'll see how it looks after installation.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:08 PM   #10
Site Team

I use mine the same as I do my rear view mirror when I am not towing. I look to see when someone is approaching from behind. I use it to make sure it is clear before changing lanes. I'm checking mine all the time.

2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Old 09-17-2020, 02:51 PM   #11
New Camper

I have a furrion wireless observation camera on my 30’ Sunlite Trail RKSS251 and have never had a problem
Vsmith1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:34 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

The cameras do not work as advertised however I fixed a similar issue. I had a spare cheap wifi router that could be programmed to act as a wifi range expander. It is mounted in my truck behind the rear seat center headrest. Only the two little antennas peek up above the headrest. It boosts the signal from the rear of my 25' trailer making it solid inside the truck. If your camera antenna is a short vertical one, it radiates in a donut shaped pattern, think of the antenna sticking up through a hole in the donut. I leaned my camera antenna forward to make sure the radiation pattern hit the truck better. (a tilted donut). The wifi boost from the rear window of my truck also insures that other wifi signals don't interfere.
grtblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 02:30 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

I ultimately ended up with a wired system, Fookoo Ⅱ HD Backup Camera System Kit,7''1080P Reversing Monitor+IP69 Waterproof Rear View Camera, which I am extremely pleased with. Picture quality at a distance is great and even better up close. A wired system installation is what you would expect, half a day, but to me it was worth it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 06-08-2023, 01:28 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimHanus View Post
I ultimately ended up with a wired system, Fookoo Ⅱ HD Backup Camera System Kit,7''1080P Reversing Monitor+IP69 Waterproof Rear View Camera, which I am extremely pleased with. Picture quality at a distance is great and even better up close. A wired system installation is what you would expect, half a day, but to me it was worth it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Jim,
Do you know if this would work with a Furion prewired setup?
Thanks.
Our first RV purchase.
JulieTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 04:04 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieTexas View Post
Jim,
Do you know if this would work with a Furion prewired setup?
Thanks.
Sorry, I couldn't say if it does or not. Only know what worked for me.

Jim
Old 06-11-2023, 11:08 PM   #16
Site Team

No, it shouldn't work with a Furrion prep. The trailers prepped for a Furrion camera only include a power cable. A hard-wired system needs a cable to carry the video signal in addition to power for the camera. I had hard-wired RVSafety systems on my last 2 campers. My new one was prepped for a Furrion. A bought a Furrion compatible system for it that cost about 1/4 of a Furrion, came with a larger monitor and has much better resolution than the Furrion cameras.

2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Old 06-12-2023, 01:01 PM   #17
Site Team

Can you connect a trailer back up camera to the OE screen on a truck?

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 01:21 PM   #18
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisK View Post
No, it shouldn't work with a Furrion prep. The trailers prepped for a Furrion camera only include a power cable. A hard-wired system needs a cable to carry the video signal in addition to power for the camera. I had hard-wired RVSafety systems on my last 2 campers. My new one was prepped for a Furrion. A bought a Furrion compatible system for it that cost about 1/4 of a Furrion, came with a larger monitor and has much better resolution that the Furrion cameras.
Davis,

Is Furion a wireless prep from the factory? I'm a bit confused by your reply. Would the system Jim recommended work with the Furion prep? You say you bought a diff brand than Furion and it worked, which brand and what model do you recommend with the Furion prep. Trying to get one for my husband for Father's Day.

Julie
Our first RV purchase.
JulieTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 03:40 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Can you connect a trailer back up camera to the OE screen on a truck?
Mark, my younger son bought a Ford F-250 last year. He got the optional trailer camera package with it. It requires a cable to be connected between the truck and the trailer. His in-bed connector has 2 ports. One is a standard 7-pin trailer connector, and the other is a multi-pin connector for the camera feeds (rear and side views) and the TPMS remote for the trailer tires. It came with the cameras, all of the cabling, TPMS remote and TPMS valve stems for the trailer's tires. The cable for the camera is 50' long, which may be an issue when he hooks it up because his trailer is 43' long.

I know GM offers trailer cameras on their new trucks too, and I assume it is being done similar to how Ford is doing it. I'm unaware of any factory systems that are compatible with wireless cameras.

2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Old 06-12-2023, 04:21 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieTexas View Post
Davis,

Is Furion a wireless prep from the factory? I'm a bit confused by your reply. Would the system Jim recommended work with the Furion prep? You say you bought a diff brand than Furion and it worked, which brand and what model do you recommend with the Furion prep. Trying to get one for my husband for Father's Day.

Julie
Julie, most new campers now come prepped for a Furrion compatible rear view camera system. The Furrion system is wireless. A wired system (one that uses a cable to attach the camera to the monitor) will not work with a Furrion prep.

When you remove the cover from the housing on the rear the only thing you will find is a power jack on a short lead. In most cases it is connected to one of the nearby marker lights. That is how my Rockwood came. My older son's
Sandpiper came so the camera connector was on all the time.

The Furrion brand cameras are very expensive (camera and 4.3" monitor are $575.95, camera and 7" monitor are $764.95). The sad thing is that they are 720 pixels by 480 pixels. I searched on Amazon for Furrion rear view camera (Furrion is spelled with 2 Rs). I just bought the cheapest compatible 7" monitor and 1080p camera (1920 pixels by 1080 pixels) I could find. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RZYVDTN

This is what a Furrion prep looks like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Furrion Mount.jpg (78.1 KB, 5 views)

2023 Rockwood 2445WS