Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2022, 05:00 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Zamp Solar "Pre-Wire"

So after several calls to the Dealer and one to Zamp solar, I think I have it figured out what I need.

The "sidewall" is not a "pre-wire" it is ready to go. Just plug in a "Controlled" solar panel (Portables come with a controller attached) to that outlet and it will charge your house batteries. Probably best to confirm it is actually connected, mine is.

The "pre-wire" on top is just that. The ports on top will let you connect solar panels mounted on the roof. BUT, the wiring is "somewhere" inside and no-one seems to be able to tell me exactly where. It "could" be connected to the batteries, in which case cut into the line and splice in a controller. It could connected to nothing (which is what Zamp and the Dealer think is the case).

During the call with Zamp, they acknowledged that it is frustrating, and they are working on a change to the stickers to identify the differences in the roof and sidewall ports and some others to help ID where the roof wiring is located.

If anyone has actually added their own Zamp panels to a Cruiser Aire or similar CR TT recently and found where the roof wiring harness was routed, I'd love to know. If not, I will keep looking until I figure it out.
Old 04-26-2022, 06:45 PM   #2
Site Team

Depending on how much solar you intend to install, you might be further ahead to run your own wire from the panel down to the controller and the batteries. That way you would at least know it would be adequate to handle it.
Lloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 07:22 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Thanks Lloyd. According to Zamp, their cables are enough for a lot more panels than I ever plan to get. I am going to start with 2, 100 Watt panels. I bought a controller that can handle 800 Watts.
Old 04-28-2022, 06:16 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Got up on the roof. The Zamp Solar port on the roof (dual input) has 13.1v to it, exactly what my battery reads. So now, it is looking for an 8g set of wires either at the interior 12v panel or the exterior 12v box for the trailer wiring.