Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2010, 03:25 AM   #41
Full Time Camper

Hi, Would you happen to know what brand of tires are supplied on the 2011 Patriot 30sk? My real question is are they made in the USA? Thanks
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 04:26 AM   #42
Weekend Camper

Mine are "Duro". Definitely made in China. The 30SKP comes with 16 IPO 15 rims and bigger tires. Bigger is better. Regardless of how you might feel about Chinese tires, I have never had one fail on any ofthe 3 campers I have owned. There are4 criteria I adhere to: proper tire pressure, keep the weight of the trailer to the minimum possible, make sure the axles are aligned properly, keep your speed reasonable.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:16 AM   #43
Full Time Camper

Thanks for the reply. I have no personal experience, I just have read a lot of negative comments on the Chinese brands.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:42 AM   #44
Full Time Camper

It is typical to see postings concerning negatives. How many people will post positive experiences except when we speak of our Crossroads products? There have to be millions of the Chinese tires on RVs. What is the failure rate? How many "D" rated tire owners do you see driving along the highway way above 65 mph, the maximum speed for a "D" rated ST tire? How many of those RVs are overloaded?

Maybe I will be a negative poster in the future but for now I drive a constant 63 mph with a coach well under the max weight. I also inspect the tires and check the pressure before every trip.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:55 AM   #45
Full Time Camper

I appreciate all the info and replies. I am totally new to this lifestyle. I read all the forums and it can get you information overloaded. I plan to be conservative in my towing style. Thanks
Old 08-31-2010, 07:05 AM   #46
Full Time Camper

I had mission tires on the Cruiser this unit will be three years old in November, I have probably towed it 15 to 20 thousand miles. I went to Colorado and back this summer. Everytime I hooked up I checked the tires. I carry a air compressor so PSI was kept at 65 lbs. When I got back to the storage yard that last day as I unhooked I saw that all four tires had developed cracks around the rims. Last Friday I had to get Janet away, and went to a Tire store told them I wanted us manufactured tires they said they would put Coopers on it. Check the tire pressure and found the tech only out between 32 PSI and 51 PSI made them go back and finish off the pressure. I also made them take the tires off and balance them. Left the tire store and less than two hours later I had a blow out on the passenger side front. The man behind me saw the tread seperate and than the tire blow. Fortunatley I was paying attention and pulled over no damage to the fifth wheel or the rim. I have carried the Trailer aid and a battery powered impack wrench since my first RV. I pulled up on the aid and had the tire changed in 15 minutes. I called the tire store and told them about it they said bring it back I told them I was 110 miles away in Hammond La and will be back in Monday. Saturday was trying to find a new tire finally found a goodyear Marathon. Got back looked at the tires all were chinees tire called High performance. No Cooper on it any where. I good back and at 7:00AM Monday I was waitng for them. Brought in the remainder of the tire, and showed it to them. They said I ran over some thing. I said impossible the second tire would have gone too. Then they said no warranty on Trailer tires. I said there is on these. They said no. I called the Credit card Company and started to tell them to hold that trans action suddenly they were willing to give me my money back for that one tire. Would not do any thing about the other three I will get these replace and eat them, This out fit did not get to put new tires on my wifes car today, and will no longer be replacing tire on a lot of used cars for 12 dealers

Edited by: fhenn
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:24 AM   #47
New Camper

That is an ugly story. Hope you have better luck with the Goodyears.
Westwind is offline   Reply With Quote