Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2009, 05:06 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

We spent some time in the new-to-us camper yesterday and it sure seems to move more than our older travel trailer did when someone is walking or just moving on the chair or sofa, but we still love the floorplan.Is this inherent with a fithwheel?Admittedly all we have so for is the two plastic wedge chocks that came with the unit. What works best for you? ...

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 05:33 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I use Roto-chocks for the wheles and I had stabilizers mounted to the front landing grears, no movement, none at all.....works great, and well worth the money

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:37 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I have the Bal X wheel chocks and a king pin Stabilizer This helps some. A lot more has to do while setting it up. I drop the nose a little bit, than put jack stands under the factory stabilizes run them tight, than bring the nose up a little bit. This helps a lot. A lot of the guys here went to JT's a few months ago and seem to like them

Edited by: fhenn
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:10 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

What is a TP's?

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 09:29 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Use a kingpin tripod stabilizer under the front and really put some weight on it. Use some blocks of wood or something under the rear jacks so you don't have to extend them all the way. When they are let out all the way they seem to be less stable. I have several pieces of 2x6's cut about a foot long and lay several down first. Then I only have to crank the rear jacks down a short distance to meet the wood. They are barely opened up and seem stronger and better at reducing movement. I put a good amount of weight on them and then test the door to see if it drags, this way I know I have not unbalanced the load and caused a twist in the chasis. There are other devices folks use but this is all I do and it seems to help.
Pull Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 12:42 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Cowboy, I have the 30 sk.

The answer to your instability is theJT strong stabilizers or equivalent! See my post under General Questions, "New X-chocks tire locking chock"

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD,48e,4x4,QC

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...CRUISER1-1.jpg
Ridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 12:46 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

The problem you are having is most likely because of the Equa-Flex system. You need to use jacks near the spring hangers and get some of the weight off of the suspension. Locking the tires will not eliminate the movement that the Equa-Flex allows. I noticed this same thing when I went from my older Jayco to my 2010 Cruiser 26 RK.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 12:15 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Cowboy_71, did your previous TT have any slides. Our old 5er did not and I firmly believe that is wheremost ofthe movement is coming from. IMHO, the Eliminator, JT or some other stabilizer set will be the biggest bang for your buck in stopping the movement of your 5er. I tried every suggestion I could find on properly setting up the 5er and nothing did the trick as well as the Eliminators did. http://www.crossroadsrv.com/forum/fo...ts.asp?TID=339

Also invest in Rotochok, BAL or some other type of between the wheel chocks.

I see that you're from Lake Charles...I'm right down the road in Lake Arthur. PM me if I can help in any other way.

Lynn

Bailey, the Lap Cocker Spaniel

07 Cruiser 30SK

07 Dodge CTD 5.9 3500 QC 4x4

https://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...andcamper2.jpg

&lt
Cobra909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:14 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Thanks guys, seems like stabilizersare the definitive answer...now all we need is to buy em , install em, andfind thetime to try them out somewhere anywhere...lol...

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:50 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

I find that yes our new 5th does move around more than our old travel trailer.

We find that if we use a high box under our rear stabilizer jacks movement is reduced.

If we are the road andave to extend our jacks a fair ways, that reduces movement, but does not slow it down as much as we would like.

In our seasonalcampsite though I have built a 2 x 4 box about a foot and a half high to lessen the distance the jacks have to go down. With the jacks down only a few inches our interior movement is virtually nil.

Jim

Carman, Manitoba, Canada

2010 Cruiser CF30SK

2000 Ford F250 Triton V10

37 Yrs together, travelling with three cats
OlderRedboine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:56 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

I use jack safety stands. That way I can adjust them for any height I run into

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote