Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2009, 02:41 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

We are camping this week in Florida. On our first night, I noticed the rear tire on the door side of the unit is flat. I do have a spare tire. What is the best way to get the old tire off the ground? I've heard I can just pull the front tire up on blocks. I've also heard that I can use my truck's jack under where the leaf spring attaches to the axle. Does anyone have any experience with this? We leave Sat. morning. Thanks!
TitansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:14 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Loosen your bolts first.I jack mine up right between the 2 u-bolts,under the spring,on the axle.Be sure to stop in about 100 miles and re-torque your lug nuts on that wheel as they often tend to loosen up as they reseat themselves.I do not even travel with an extra jack as the bottle jack just takes up space and my truck jack is more than adequate. My lug nuts take a 3/4" deep socket and i torque them to 100 ft.lbs good luck.If you dont get the tire fixed right away do not throw it in the back of the truck put it on the spare mount and reel it up.There are some posts here about the cable on the spare getting tangled with out the pressure of a tire on it.Wish we were camping.Envy you even though you have a flat.

Edited by: mapachoo

2019 Volante 240RL
mapachoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:05 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

If you can hook back up to the truck and get all the jacks off the ground. The truck hitch will swivel to allow jacking.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:50 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

whereRwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 02:45 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the help. I changed it this morning before we left the campground. I first hitched the 5'er to my truck, loosened the lug nuts and then pulled the front tire up on a stack of leveling blocks. This almost raised the flat tire complelely. I then used a bottle jack placed under axle below the leaf springs. It only took a few pumps of the jack and the tire was off the ground.Theoriginal tire had a nail in it . I'm just glad the flat was at the campground and not on the side of the road on uneven ground .
TitansFan is offline   Reply With Quote