Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2011, 02:17 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

I have a novice Cruiser question about traveling in a cross wind. My previous 5er was a 26' Dutchman with a low roof and it handled side winds pretty well. Now we have our 30SK and it has a much higher profile. I was wondering at what crosswind speed does it start to get dangerous to pull one of these big guys?<div siber__q92dpb7seovvtbh5__vptr="8d76180" sourceindex="5">While I don't know how strong the wind was, this video is what got me thinking about "crosswind's".<div siber__q92dpb7seovvtbh5__vptr="8d70f00" sourceindex="6"></span>

Edited by: KennyB

https://www.runnerduck.com/images/dev...andtrailer.jpg

KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:40 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I have not noticed any crosswind effects

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:12 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Kenny, I can set your concerns to rest (at least for a 5er - not sure about a bumper pull). On our way to the Texas Rally in March, I had 60-70MPH direct crosswinds going through New Mexico for about 250 miles. Trucks with drop-in campers were pulling off the road. I was very comfortable with very little affect other than mileage. When the road turned and the winds were now a direct headwind, the wind picked up my TV antenna (it was laying flat on the roof) and bent the front blade all the way back. Other than that, I had no issues. I was really surprised how well the 5er towed. The hard part was watching for all the tumbleweeds blowing across the road and getting hit as they will really scratch the paint.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:50 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Thanks Stan, that makes me feel a little better although I doubt I'd do any traveling in the kind of winds you're talking about unless I got caught. I'll just hole up until it blows by.

https://www.runnerduck.com/images/dev...andtrailer.jpg

KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:50 AM   #5
Site Team

I don't notice to much effect from the wind (other then MPG) when pulling a 5er, but it really use to be a big issue when we had a tt.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:07 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

First I though the video was of a bumper tow. I have not been able to find out if it was a crosswind or a sway problem that got out of hand.

But I pull over if I no longer see the semis on the road. If they are pulling off I am sure it is time all of us pull off. More often than not I am pulling over even before they do. I am retired and waiting a day to travel is no big deal for me.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:40 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Stan,We also experienced heavy winds going to the rally. Our antenna also bent backwards on a previous trip and the front blade bent backwards over the main unit. Do you know if the antenna was installed incorrectly?
Old 05-31-2011, 06:43 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

I think the antenna was installed OK and it was flat on the roof. I simply re-bent the blade back to the normal position. Where it bent is now a weak area and has a small crack but useable. Hopefully I won't hit high winds again. If so, and the blade bends again, it may just break off.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:35 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

We came 160 miles home yesterday after Memorial Day camping with family. There was a 30-35 mph wind from the south all day.

About 50 miles of the trip was east which put the wind directly on the side. I will say we could feel it especially when something stopped it for a second (hill, trees, buildings) but I never felt it was anywhere near unsafe. You could feel a "pull" but nothing holding a little wheel into it wouldn't counter.

Driving directly into it only used more fuel!! Having said that, the new Duramax is a HORSE!! In Tow mode, never had a downshift!

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:27 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Stan, my antenna bent a second time and when I straightened it broke off completely. I spoke with a Wingard tech and he stated that Crossroads should have installed a wind deflector in front of the forward blade.