Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2010, 04:55 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Has anyone had a problem with sewer gas smell from their black water tank? Our friends have a 29CK that has some odour issues, they can smell the sewer gas outside around the campsite and a little inside the trailer. They know the smell is coming from the tank vent on the roof, the problem started half through their second season with the trailer. They use chemical and rv toilet paper and have tried flushing out the tank as well. Has anybody had this problem or have any ideas? We have both had multiple trailers over the last 25 years and never had this problem.
And yes I know sh!^ stinks!

2006 Chevy Duramax

2006 Malibu Vride
canacamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:15 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

have them check to see if the vent is not plugged...I never had that problem but changed all the vent caps to the cyclone caps, supposed to draw the odor from the tank better...

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:12 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Like mb has suggested, upgraded vent stacks can help out. This is a common problem on all RV's. A lot of folks think they have rinsed the tank fully but may have many solids left on the tank and tank wall. Many people have reported better luck with multiple flushings using a clear fitting to see when the tank is clean. In addition, there are alternates to the harsh chemials using Calgone (SP?) and other nore natural methods.

I have found the clear sewer elbow allows me to "SEE" the tanks clean along with a good flushing from the black tank flusher.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:41 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

I have been using this product http://www.happy-campers.ca/for a couple of years now and find it to be far superior to the " Geo-Method" and other tank treatments sold at RV Parts & Supply centers. They also market a product called Extreme Cleaner that removes all the residues in your holding tanks. I use this productat the end of the camping season to clean out all my tanks before I winterize and put the Cruiser in hibernation.

2008 Cruiser CF32BL

2004 GMC 2500HD 4X4 CC SB 8.1 Gasser / Allison. Tuning by Westers...
62dno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:17 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

About four times a year I will put Ridx in the tank just before we leave the campground, by the next time we go camping three weeks later I flush it out as soon as I get there, Never had an odor problem

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:46 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

It can also be a bad fit on the connections at the camp ground or a small leak in the hose. some of the camp grounds don't have good flow underground and gas can back up from there.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote