Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2020, 06:45 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

2014 SF270BH Front Cap Separation Bubbles

I've noticed these bubbles have nearly doubled in size over the past few months, we've been on a handful of trips with our fifth wheel since and I am wondering if anyone has had a similar issue?

I've been doing some research online and most say this is caused by a leak or poor glue / laminating at the factory. Looking at the front from this inside I do not see any signs of moisture damage. I did just reseal with the edges of the entire roof and the compartment doors, fridge vents, water fill, marker lights, tail lights, etc. I did not see an large gaps or areas that looked to be leaking up front.

I can push the bubbles in and they will stick to the layer behind but after a few hours they return so I am thinking the glue behind is not sticky anymore.

What do you think? Is there something I can try to flatten the bubbles or is this going to be a big job and we either live with it or pay $$$ to repair.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-7975.jpg (204.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-7974.jpg (242.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-7976.jpg (223.1 KB, 20 views)
Old 08-03-2020, 09:25 PM   #2
Site Team

It's a common problem with those type of caps.. I've seen some replace them themselves, but it is a major job.
Here's a link where one of members replaced it himself.

http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...ler-12859.html

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:58 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Thanks for that info Mark, its good to know that it is common and hopefully not more than a cosmetic issue.
Old 08-24-2020, 03:56 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

I have a Crap Crossroads Slingshot 25RL and its front panel looks like the surface of the moon. As it is out of "warranty" Crossroads was not willing to do anything for me. So I googled and saw that the most likely cause was water ingress. Inside the trailer there was no sign of water. The overwhelming opinion of the Google search was to remove the front of the trailer. I did. The underlay (if you can call it that) was CARDBOARD. The CARDBOARD was wet and soggy in the upper left and right of the trailer. It had massively separated from the the thin front skin. So, like me, you may have purchased a CARDBOARD CROSSROADS trailer. I spent 56 hours in total, repairing my rotted wood structure and the front (my Crap Trailer says it has an "aluminum" structure, there are some pieces of aluminum here and there but mainly it is wood and that loves to rot). The factory sealing was too poor to call it sealant. I bought some baltic birch plywood (3 mm thick) and recovered the front, I sealed the aluminum strips with a very gooey butyl mastic tape (too expensive for Crap Crossroads factory obviously) , I used a construction glue to rebond the front panel. FYI Crossroads dealers didn't want to touch the job. An independent would not give a cost estimate because "the damage can be extensive and not discovered until the front is dissasembled"). So buddy, you are likely needing a massive repair. If you are handy, have good tools and don't mind 56 hours of work, go to it. Otherwise think shop rates of $120/hour and probably $10,000 if the structure is OK. I've renamed my CROSSROADS Slingshot to Slip-Shod.
grtblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 04:24 PM   #5
Site Team

Grtblu.

I find it strange owners bash the product over something that was there responsibility. If your camper is out of warranty that would imply it is a few years old. So my question would be how many times did you check and re caulk it? Seems to me if you failed to do the maintenance that's a you problem not the manufacture.

As far as crossroads not wanting to warranty a maintenance issue after the warranty has expired i can see that. There is a limited warranty not a lifetime warranty. Example; Your 8 year old truck has never had the oil changed and the motor locks up then you expect the manufacture to warranty it? I don't think so.

These things require constant maintenance. Just pulling them down the road is a constant twisting,jolting experience. Kind of like your house going thru a small earthquake.

And NO I do not have any connection to crossroads other than i own a 2005 model. But this 5th wheel and the several others i have owned including 2 new ones all had the same basic needs. YOU HAVE TO MAINTAIN THEM!
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:44 PM   #6
Site Team

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Old 08-25-2020, 11:36 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Seems like the upper right and left corners were wet meaning leak at the clearance lights?..common in crossroads and especially the old sling shots. Also common on other brands. Those clearance lights need a good sealant enen taking them off and seal where wire goes thru and 2 screws also.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 12:42 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Good info that I will be sure to look closer at when I plan to re-seal the roof in the next month. I will remove those clearance lights and make sure they are fully re-sealed.

On a hot day I was able to press the bubbles out, they seemed to partly re-adhere and stick so far. But I know its unlikely that it will look perfect from simply doing this 30 minutes of work.

Appreciate all the comments and areas to take a look at so thanks!
Old 08-25-2020, 07:02 PM   #9
Site Team

When I took off my clearance lights on my previous 5th wheel, the holes for the 1/8" wires were 1" round. Covered the hole with Eternabond tape.