Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2023, 07:34 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Damage from accident

We were in an accident today. We have a 2018 Sunset Trail 253RB. We slammed into a car in front of us pretty hard. Unfortunately inspecting the trailer we noticed that the trailer box slid about an inch forward on the frame. Was wondering if anyone has ever had this happen to them and could it be fixed. We were able to drive home.
Old 06-25-2023, 04:22 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

Have it professionally appraised. If it’s shifted there could be other damage you can’t see which will cause future problems. Report it to your insurance company have them do an inspection and appraisal. I’ve been a mechanic and instructor for many years sometimes it’s worth it to let an insurance company handle the damage.
Thomas Walch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 04:47 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

The insurance company has already sent their appraiser who specializes in RV’s. I just needed to know all the issues before I hear back from the adjuster. I believe it will be totaled. But in case the insurance wants to fix it I wanted to have as much information to negotiate with the insurance.
Old 06-25-2023, 05:08 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Do a little of your own research. Price out comparable rv’s that are being sold. Look at high and low prices come up with the average. That way when they offer a compensation you will have an idea what they should be giving you. A few years ago that is how I dealt with a claim and it worked out well.
Old 06-29-2023, 02:21 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Well the insurance declared my trailer a total loss. The settlement was the same as I purchased it for four and half years ago. The main damage was the box on the trailer slid about two inches forward on the frame. I truly feel my trailer would have survived the crash if only Crossroads would have bolted the box directly to the frame! Those thin steel brackets that the box was bolted to were all either broken or severely bent. I hope Crossroads is reading this post and heed my advice.
Old 06-29-2023, 05:33 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Glad to hear you got a good settlement. Sorry to hear you lost the unit. We have the same one and we really like it.
Old 06-29-2023, 07:45 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

We also loved our Sunset Trail. Just had too much water damage. The floor plan was the best.
Old 06-30-2023, 12:01 PM   #8
Site Team

So far, the accident damage to my 5th Wheel is up to $15000, and that's only for the outside work.
Waiting for the damage to the inside walls and floor estimate. Depending on what that comes up to, the insurance company said they may have to total it.
Anxiously waiting.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote