Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2013, 10:55 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

We have a 220RB that we purchased in January of this year. The certified dry weight as delivered is 4870lbs. I have been towing with a Toyota Tacoma with a factory installed towing package rated at 6500 lbs. We don't usually pack a lot of "stuff" when we camp, and so far I have been pleased with the towing performance. I pulled it 1000 miles each way from Georgia to Texas a few weeks ago (and back) and was able to comfortably cruise from 55 to 65 mph (usually around 63) and got between 10 and 11 mpg. However, that was mostly flat land, I-10 almost all the way. North of San Antonio as I got into the hill country, I had to go down a gear a couple of times but could still maintain a speed of 45 or so without strain. My concern is that if we ever take a longer trip with some real mountains, the Tacoma might not be up to the task. Thinking that maybe next year I might want to consider a tow vehicle with a little more power. Don't really want to as this one is paid for and I really like this truck. And, I kind of want to retire next year and don't really need another payment. Ah, decisions, decisions.
2017 - 500 miles, 9 nights
2016 - 3005 miles, 34 nights
2014, 14, 15 - 11,614 miles, 125 nights
dlwilliams48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:26 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

2006 2500HD CC LB 6.0 gas Silverado 4:10
gasmantexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:33 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Since you are down a gear in hill country and want to do mountains........start thinking more horses and lower gears. Very nice looking 220RB.Sorry dl
2006 2500HD CC LB 6.0 gas Silverado 4:10
gasmantexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:01 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

If you plan to keep that trailer for a long time,a half ton Tundra, Chevy, or the Ford Eco-Boost would probably be good options. However, you may want to move up in trailer at some point. If you don't like to trade vehicles very often, you may want to go ahead and move up to a 3/4 ton. I found out the hard way that some of the larger half ton towables are a big strain on a half ton truck when you get in the mountains. A 3/4 ton diesel makes life a lotless stressfulwhen you are pulling in steep terrain.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:32 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

We do plan on keeping this camper a long time. We came up through tents, small pop-ups, larger pop-ups, and finally a hybrid that we sold when we got this one. It suits us perfectly. I'm thinking the Tundra, Ford, Chevy, Ram, etc. would do fine. While a 3/4 ton would be nice, since we plan to retire next year (hopefully), I'm trying to keep cost down. But it depends on what is avalialbe when we get ready to buy.

Thanks for the feedback folks.
2017 - 500 miles, 9 nights
2016 - 3005 miles, 34 nights
2014, 14, 15 - 11,614 miles, 125 nights
dlwilliams48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

You probably will want more TV in the mountains. i have been there done that and finding out as you go down the mountain is far from fun. you can keep costs down by buying an older used diesel (they last forever) and keep your taco as a daily driver. That will probably be worth it in fuel mileage and the ability to keep your beloved taco. That said you do not need a diesel to tow that TT. A properly equipped half ton would do you just fine. I would weigh your TT before you upgrade your TV. Figure out your tongue weight and make sure whatever half ton you buy is truly capable and not says so based on factory spec. Use the actual trucks payload sticker in the door and subtract it plus the weight of passengers and gear from the vehicles payload. A properly rated ecoboost can actually handle some of the lightweight fifth wheels. Also I read Chevy is coming out with a diesel in the Colorado. It would be interesting to know the cabilities and weights on that vehicle.

Oh and by the way dont fall into the same trap we did. Buy tt for current TV, find out you want/need more TV, upgrade TV. Then realize you have enough truck for more trailer (ie 5er), begin looking at 5ers. Fall in love with a 5er only to find out your current TV cant really tow the trailer of your dreams. Now you are faced with trading the whole rig (tv and tt) or just keeping what you have. We chose to stay with what we have until we are in a better place for making a complete trade. have fun truck shopping!Edited by: anaro

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2011 Zinger ZT26BL-sold
2014 Sabre 34REQS

***Member of the Mason-Dixon Group***
anaro is offline   Reply With Quote