Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2020, 02:59 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Power converter issue.

Hi all,

Our GrandReserve 33SI is about 3 years old now.

We just started having some power issues. A two week battery was not charging. After poking around online I decided to open up behind the fuse box and check the converter. Output appeared to be 13.6 or so dc volts. However, output at the battery cables was on about 4 volts dc. I called a local RV service place and the service manger told me that the problem was most likely the converter. He really could not explain why the output right at the converter was ok but was low at the battery terminal. I asked about shorts and he said that wasn’t likely. I went ahead and ordered a new converter and will have it tomorrow some time.

Does this make sense?
kickerfour1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 04:56 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Clean and decorrode clamps on battery. Also check current draw for all other components running. If you are running anything that needs elec. the available current for charging battery(s) is substantially reduced. Fridge, AC, furnace, hot water heater, lights, tv, radio, and etc will significantly lower the ability to charge.
Reese Weight Dist. w/friction sway control
jmnsn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 06:59 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmnsn57 View Post
Clean and decorrode clamps on battery. Also check current draw for all other components running. If you are running anything that needs elec. the available current for charging battery(s) is substantially reduced. Fridge, AC, furnace, hot water heater, lights, tv, radio, and etc will significantly lower the ability to charge.
All was off except for the CO2/propane detector. I cleaned the connectors at the battery and in a junction box on the front of the unit near the battery box.

I also store another trailer that uses another converter. It does output 13+ volts on the battery cable terminals when not connected to the battery.

Bob
kickerfour1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:46 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

I'd check for auto resetting breakers. Those cheap breakers cause more trouble.....
Airborne Elite Sidewinder pin, Maxx air 7500 Fan
2015 GMC LTZ,6.2 Gas, Short Box, Firestone F3 air ride.
Bilstein Shocks
Miniozzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 04:20 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

I had a friend with a AMC Gremlin, so you know this was years ago. They had a problem with the starter, or so they thought. New battery, new starter, good clean connections on the cable, but the starter would barely crank. Long story to say the cable had corroded inside the insulation so much it caused a power drop. 3 years is not old, but you may want to check the cables as you are looking at things.
2020 Silverado HD3500 Duramax
TexSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:12 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

I had this problem.

My 2 batteries were discharging in a short time on my 2013 28" Zinger. I replaced the batteries, replaced the converter, look at all the wires I could (not saying I could inspect them all) and still the problem persisted. I felt like there was a drain on them somewhere but couldn't find it. My resolve was to buy a 100W solar panel to charge the batteries. Converter does it job of handling the AC and DC output and the batteries stay charged to take care of the DC when boondocking. If the solar panel is not connected the batteries still drain.
So, I know the aggravation of your problem and thought I'd share my solution.
If any want to chime in, you'd be so welcome. Oh I also replaced the AC breakers as some were breaking apart.
Camprgram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:44 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

There are always parasitic drains on batteries in RV’s. The carbon monoxide detector will drain batteries in a few weeks.
Poor connections at the auto resetting breakers in older units caused resistance and power problems with charging and flickering lighting.
I’ve even seen a converter produce the proper volts when the batteries were disconnected. But fall flat when you added batteries. The only true way to find your power drain is disconnect everything. Then add each circuit one at a time.
Remove all fuses and check amp draw with a meter. Then add a fuse. Check meter again. Do this for each 12v circuit. But make sure everything is off. Most meters will have a internal fuse blow when it exceeds 10amp
Airborne Elite Sidewinder pin, Maxx air 7500 Fan
2015 GMC LTZ,6.2 Gas, Short Box, Firestone F3 air ride.
Bilstein Shocks
Miniozzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power converter, power power problems