Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2021, 11:25 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

propane valves for outside grill

I recently purchased a 2013 Sunset Trail 30RK trailer. It came with a gas grill with a quick connect hose for use outside. When we took it out for the first time I tried to use the grill, but I could not get it to light. I made sure the valve located by the quick connect on the trailer was open, but I still wasn't getting gas to the grill. The propane was definitely open at the tank end because we could use the stove. Someone mentioned that there may be a second valve under the trailer for the outside grill. Does anyone know whether that is true for the Sunset Trail 30RK?

Thanks,
Paul
PaulK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:04 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

My Cruiser Aire has an on/off valve located right at the end of the quick connect pipe. It's a small valve and not easily seen unless you get right down and look close.

"The smallest act of kindness trumps the greatest of intentions"
divey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:54 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

I saw the valve by the quick connect, but even with that valve open i wasn't getting propane to my grill. A local rv dealer near me suggested that there might be a second valve somewhere, but I haven't seen it under the camper.
Old 04-16-2021, 05:35 PM   #4
Gone Traveling

If the grill you're trying to use has it's own regulator it will not work from the QD on the rv, it's already regulated at the tanks, double regulated equals very little flow to the grill.. If you can remove the grill regulator then try firing it up the grill, you'll have better luck.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 02:10 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Thanks. I'll look more at the grill to see if I can take off the regulator. it came with the camper when we bought it and I assumed that it would work without modification, but perhaps the prior owners didn't use it.
Old 04-17-2021, 03:31 PM   #6
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK View Post
Thanks. I'll look more at the grill to see if I can take off the regulator. it came with the camper when we bought it and I assumed that it would work without modification, but perhaps the prior owners didn't use it.
If this is the 1st time using anything at that QD location it may just take a good while to purge the air out of a long gas line.
Connect the grill to the QD, turn it on high & check if you smell or hear gas from the grill burners, if not leave it open a while checking periodically. Once you smell/hear gas shut it off then wait a minute or 2 to evacuate the excess gas & try lighting it again.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 02:41 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
If the grill you're trying to use has it's own regulator it will not work from the QD on the rv, it's already regulated at the tanks, double regulated equals very little flow to the grill.. If you can remove the grill regulator then try firing it up the grill, you'll have better luck.
We had the same problem. It’s the double regulator that’s the causing your problem. When I bypassed the RV tanks regulator and hooked it up it worked fine. So you’ll either have to disconnect the grill regulator or hook your grill up to your tanks without the regulator. $50 in hose and fittings later and I found that to be the problem. Wish I would have posted it on this forum like you did a year ago! LOL.
Live and learn!

Tony & Lynne
Whidbey Island, WA
2021 Sunset Trail SuperLite SS212RB
2019 Ford F-350 FX-4 Crew cab, 6.2L gas
Tonyg2724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 08:39 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

I err removed the regulator from my quick connect at the grill. Your hose should go from the valve under the back of your rig right into the temp control for your grill. Open the valve, turn on the gas and sit there with a lighter. It should be fine.
***Going for 1 million miles***
Hballer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 01:22 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Problem fixed - bad connector hose

Thanks to all who posted responses. I learned a lot from them. It turned out that the problem was the connecting hose that came with the camper and grill. It must be clogged. After trying all else, I bought a new hose and the grill lit up fine.
This forum is very helpful.
Old 04-28-2021, 03:59 PM   #10
Site Team

Thanks for letting us know the fix. Now let us know how that steak that you grill turns out.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 08:01 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK View Post
A valve on the source/ tank end of any rubber hose is always a good idea, (in case of hose leaks, you can still use other devices) esp. for accessories vs essentials
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grill gas valves