Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2021, 09:10 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Slide-out Wiper Seal

Hello,

Recently purchased a 2017 Sunset Trail 289QB. The camper overall is in good shape. There are few things that I want to address though. One is the slide-out wiper seals are torn at the bottom. Both sides are torn about 18-24 inches up. I took the camper to a local rv shop, reputable, has done good work for me before. I had a small punch-list of things I found I wanted them to fix including the wiper seals. To my surprise he acted like he had never seen this type of wiper seal before and said he could't repair that item. I think he just didn't want to do it, which kind of scares me that it might be a heck of a job!

I have all the owners manuals and docs that came with the camper new. There is a brocure and some paperwork on the slide seals, but I think the manufacturer stuffed the wrong stuff into this camper packet. The slide out seals shown in my paperwork look nothing like the seals on my camper.

My bulb-seals looks good and the slide-out seals fine in and out. I don't think the bulb seal and the wiper slides are one-piece but it is hard to see/tell. No leaks. I just get tired of the wiper seals going out and in with the slide-out.

Any recommendations?
htr2133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 10:38 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Try Trekwood.com. it's the site that works with the manufacturer on replacement parts.

Currently located between Georgia and Insanity.

007matman AKA Matt
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 07:51 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

After checking prices when I had to replace mine, I found the same brand on Amazon and since I have Prime no cost for shipping.
2020 Silverado HD3500 Duramax
TexSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 12:04 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

This is what your looking for:
Seal - Wiper - Clip On - Slideout - Black - #R854056 - Norco
Should be the same as my 2017.
https://elkrv.com/products/seal-wipe...-r854056-norco
Should look like that.
I got mine from Tiara RV out of Elkhart Indiana.

You should be able to just pull the old ones out verify they look the same. To replace just push them in so they catch, use a flat screw driver.

Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 2017
daveow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 09:05 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the replies, seals ordered. Hope this is as easy as some have reported on here. Anyone know if the top wiper seal is separate from the bulb seal on top? It looks like it may all be one seal. I don't think it needs replacing yet, but just getting prepared!

BTW> I had the camper in for some maintenance and asked the shop to replace slide out wiper seals on both sides. When I got there to pick-up they informed me they had never seen anything like these seals before and would have had to remove the whole slide-out and cables, etc. to replace the seals. You gotta be kidding me! These are highly recommended pros in my area.

I think they just didn't take the time to look closely or do any research or consult any of their manuals. They also tried to convince me my roof lap-joints didn't need re-sealing, which I asked them to do and that when the time comes to re-seal they would have to remove all the old dicor....bc somebody had put so much on there already. I checked the roof out thoroughly before I took it and there doesn't appear to be any after factory sealant applied, ever! I got a feeling these guys just didn't want to do these particular jobs for whatever reason. I am pretty irritated and now I don't have trust in the shop bc I think they are making up BS excuses about why they didn't do the work I took my camper there for and was willing to pay for!
Old 03-16-2021, 08:42 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

It's separate but there is some calk that you might need to cut in order to separate them. I have not had issues with the bulb seals at the top (or bottom) They seem to be much better quality then the inner/outer side wipers. These are total crap.

Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 2017
daveow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 09:58 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

We purchased a 2017 Sunset Trails 291RK (rear kitchen) last Spring during beginning of COVID. The 2nd owner said he used it for a week at Myrtle Beach and previous owners only used it 3 times. It looked like it for the most part. I found some leaks in couple areas that once fixed now no leaks. The cheap pressboard doors had about 7-8 with stripped screws which is an easy fix- get tooth picks and wood glue (I am a woodworker and use TiteBond III. There are other brands just as good I just like this one. The seals on the slide were torn and go in/out with the slide- they don't stay in place. I went to a local RV shop/dealer and the actually gave me a tech to go check some current campers and answer several of my questions- at no charge so I thought that was a nice customer service award for them. The seals are mounted to the walls with a seal on both sides. the tech told me the slide would have to be removed to replace the seals. they use a fork lift to get them in/out. Even guessing at that cost it was a quick decision. I looked online and found as seal with an adhesive strip to attach in or out with a seal to seat against the side of slide. Same for top. I am a little concerned that the adhesive be strong enough to hold over the years with slide movement. I tried a stop gap of using duct tape (good stuff not the cheap junk) to hold the flapping seals in place but they just didn't hold. I bought 125' of the stuff I will use to repair once weather gets warmer. Then I think I might use Gorilla duct tape to add an extra adhesive force to keep them in place. I think the big problem was the wipers are too long so flexed too much as the slide goes in/out and it caused them to tear. I think I will cut the wiper part that seals against the slide down a little so they don't get so much movement but still touch and flex to get a good seal.
Side note- I used Gorille duct tape when I tore bottom coroplast sheet off bottom and added insulation so I have a real "Extreme Weather Package" unlike what the manufacturer calls it. It seems like good crazy-good stuff. EternaBond is probably better but was too cold to trust/use it. Anyway the seals on your trailer probably do need the slide removed to replace because they are fastened to the wall. I checked my past Amazon purchases to point you in same direction but I must not have gotten it from Amazon. If I find the receipt I'll post it.
Danimal713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 07:15 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveow View Post
This is what your looking for:
Seal - Wiper - Clip On - Slideout - Black - #R854056 - Norco
Should be the same as my 2017.
https://elkrv.com/products/seal-wipe...-r854056-norco
Should look like that.
I got mine from Tiara RV out of Elkhart Indiana.

You should be able to just pull the old ones out verify they look the same. To replace just push them in so they catch, use a flat screw driver.
Hey Dave, your link is bad, it gives me 'page not found'. It looks like it was abbreviated. I found the product using the search function on the website.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seals, slide-out, wiper seals