Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2023, 04:14 PM   #1
New Camper

No power to back half of trailer

Hi everyone, new to the site. We bought a beautiful 2016 Crossroads Hampton 380 FD about 2 years ago. We lived in it for about 10 months and never had any issues to speak of. We had it hooked up to a 50 amp service with a 50 amp surge protector, surge guard 34850. We bought and remodeled our new home and moved the trailer to the new house.
I put a new deep cycle battery in it and was able to get all 3 pop outs out. From the kitchen. Forward all the lights work. From the bathroom back none of the lights are working. There is a pad at the new house that has a 30 amp receptacle. I had a friend bring his 30 amp to 50 amp adaptor over and we tried to hook the rv up to ac power so i can have power to run the fridge, microwave, and or one ac at a time. But we have no power at all. Except the front dc stuff. I found the inverter under the bathroom sink but I have no idea where to start. Worked fine, moved it over the new house, it sat for maybe 2 months, and then this.
Any ideas?
RobC72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 07:56 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Check your gfi resets on your inside outlets. Should have one in the bathroom and maybe one in the kitchen. The gif’s are a push reset in the middle of the outlet. If that don’t work, look for fuses outside under the slides.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 11:43 AM   #3
Site Team

I don't claim to be an electrician, but here is my theory.
If your trailer has 50amp service, and you hook to a 30 amp pedestal, the 50 amp dog bone won't help you power the whole trailer.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 12:41 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

The first thing l would check is to see if you have power at the 30amp receptacle. There should only be one hot leg if it's a dry outlet with 220v you may have fried some stuff.
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 01:15 PM   #5
Site Team

Look under the slide for a electrical box that may have water in it and shorted. Make sure all power is off.
Are you sure the Surge Guard is ok?

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 04:39 PM   #6
New Camper

Hey Mark, yes we sure it is good. My buddy brought his over as well. Different brand but still a 50a surge and his also flashed caution and " L1 reversal".

I will inspect unerring the slides as well.

Thanks
Old 03-24-2023, 04:40 PM   #7
New Camper

Thank you
Old 03-24-2023, 04:42 PM   #8
New Camper

I will check all these things and updatr as soon as I get a chance. Wife is battling lung cancer now and I had to bring her to the er last night. We will gladly take any prayers you can spare.

Thanks
Old 03-24-2023, 05:22 PM   #9
Site Team

Prayers for your wife and you. Wishing both of you the best.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Old 03-24-2023, 06:52 PM   #10
Site Team

Yes, prayers for you and the wife.

If you only have a 30amp pedestal at home, then there is no way that 50amp dog bone is going to power your whole trailer
Old 03-25-2023, 10:12 AM   #11
New Camper

I realize that. My issue is I have no power at all.in the trailer. Tested the cord receptacle and have 120v. Plug it into the rv, go inside and try to turn on the ac and nothing. No power to the microwave, etc.
On the 12v side of things, everything in the front half of the camper works but, nothing in the back half from the bathroom back.
Old 03-25-2023, 10:20 AM   #12
Site Team

OK re read your post a little more carefully.
You said you replaced the battery. Any chance you could have reversed the cables when you did that?
Old 03-26-2023, 02:25 PM   #13
New Camper

I had a similar issue with power to only half the trailer. different 30amp and 50 amp adapters are wired differently. Some adapters only route the 30 amp supply to 1/2 of the 50 amp cord - effetely only powering half the outlets in the trailer. my trailer route 1 pole to half the camper and the other pole to the other half, rather than distributing it across both circuits
Old 03-26-2023, 03:13 PM   #14
Site Team

I run my 50amp 5er on a 30amp bone at my home and everything is powered up.

Old 03-26-2023, 05:19 PM   #15
New Camper

2015 240BI owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobC72 View Post
Hi everyone, new to the site. We bought a beautiful 2016 Crossroads Hampton 380 FD about 2 years ago. We lived in it for about 10 months and never had any issues to speak of. We had it hooked up to a 50 amp service with a 50 amp surge protector, surge guard 34850. We bought and remodeled our new home and moved the trailer to the new house.
I put a new deep cycle battery in it and was able to get all 3 pop outs out. From the kitchen. Forward all the lights work. From the bathroom back none of the lights are working. There is a pad at the new house that has a 30 amp receptacle. I had a friend bring his 30 amp to 50 amp adaptor over and we tried to hook the rv up to ac power so i can have power to run the fridge, microwave, and or one ac at a time. But we have no power at all. Except the front dc stuff. I found the inverter under the bathroom sink but I have no idea where to start. Worked fine, moved it over the new house, it sat for maybe 2 months, and then this.
Any ideas?
I had a similar problem with my smaller trailer. Found out the hard way that RV batteries are not hooked up like car batteries. The black trailer wire is positive like your house. The white is nuetral. Hooking it up backwards fried fuses inside the converter/breaker box. After replcing fuses and switching the cables at the battery everything worked fine except for the thermostat which also got fried
KevinDorrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 05:31 PM   #16
Site Team

The main reason we started to connect our 30 amp Cruiser to the 50 amp outlet was depending on the campground the 30 amp outlet was weak. It would trip very easily. The main in the camper would not trip just the one on the power pole. One place was so bad the air and the water heater on together
would trip the pole breaker.

At home we have a park style outlet with 50,30,20 amp outlets and I use the 30 amp for my 50 amp camper. The main reason is I do not have to mess with the heavy 50 amp cord. And 30 amp will keep the refrigerator running and keep the batteries charged. But I can run one air at a time but not both.

Back to the OP,s question -- A bad adaptor may explain only half the camper with 120 volt but not 12 volts to only half. Just wandering if the 30 amp outlet is wired for a camper and not a 240 volt appliance.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical