Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2020, 09:35 PM   #1
New Camper

Caulk?

Sorry for the nube question but I’ve been getting conflicting opinions and thought I’d reach out here for some help. I have a NTM 2010 Sunset Trails HTT that needs the Exterior caulk replaced In some places ie around windows, seems etc. On the advice of one group I purchased some dicor non sag but just as I was about to start found another thread that said that’s only for the roof and never use it on the side. Some recommend quad seal and others pro flex. Some said those are no good. Help!
Thanks
KyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:40 PM   #2
Site Team

This is the Dicor for windows, doors, anything verticle.
https://dicorproducts.com/product/cap-sealant/

The next two are for the roof.
https://dicorproducts.com/product/no...-lap-sealants/
https://dicorproducts.com/product/se...-lap-sealants/

Opinions on different brands vary. Only you can determine the whether the product is good or bad.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:54 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Caulk

I just purchased a 2010 Cruiser CTX that needed caulking redone. Had an estimate for re caulking that was just ridiculous. So I took on the job myself, It is a very very boring job especially removing old caulk. On my roof looking for cracks in original sealant I used a self leveling sealant. You can go right over the old stuff ,just make sure it is cleaned first. And for the windows, access doors, front and rear cap moulding and lower moulding i used Proflex Rv Sealant. It worked great the only thing is don't caulk a long area at a time as it sets up pretty fast. I did about a 4 ft at a time and smoothed it out and it turned out great. If you want a fine line you can also mask off your caulking area, but don't leave tape on long as it wants to stick to tape and when you peel tape off it wants to come with the tape. I am re caulking my whole trailer one side at a time started at the top and work your way down. I have one side done and the front. It turned out looking very good just is a very time consuming. So take your time and it will work out just perfect.

Rick M
2010 Cruiser CTX 26 RKX
1997 2500 Silverado
Detroit 6.5 Turbo Diesel [53,000 Miles]
Langley Bc, Canada
Bc, Canada
Crossroad Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:30 AM   #4
New Camper

Soooo come to find out there is dicor non sag cap sealant and non sag lap sealant. What I have is the lap sealant. Didn’t even know the cap sealant existed
Which one are you guys referring to? And am I over thinking this lol. Just afraid of having a gooey mess running down the side of my camper. Plus this stuff is so hard to get now may not have a choice but to use what I have. thanks again!
KyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:56 AM   #5
Site Team

I could never find the cap sealant and just use the "lap" sealant on the sides of the Rv.
Never experienced a problem.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Old 11-17-2020, 05:14 AM   #6
Gone Traveling

I use Dicor 501LSW Self-Leveling Lap Sealant. This stuff is great for sealing your RV's roof seams and penetrations. It sticks like crazy and flows into all the nooks and crannies. Beware: If you get it on yourself you have to mechanically remove it, if you get it on your clothes, you'll never get it off. Get plenty: I used 1-2 tubes per roof vent and 2-3 per full-width seam, so a full dozen was just the right amount for a 31' RV's three roof vents, two sanitary vents, two seams, and other various roof penetrations. Don't bother with silicone or any other sealant - they won't stick to your roof and they will leak in a couple of months.
https://vogeltalksrving.com/best-rv-caulks/#more-1819
Wendyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 03:03 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

you don't need to buy a certain brand just because it has "RV" in the name. Pretty much any polyurethane caulk will work great on the sides of your unit. OSI is a good brand, and can be found at the big box stores. For anything I need to use clear on, I like lexell. It is not a silicone, and sticks to virtually anything.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:43 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

I agree with Rrizz, any quality polyurethane is fine. Never use silicone anywhere. What I used for clear where ever I already had factory clear was, and you can reseal right over the top again and again was Geocel ProFlex clear. I resealed my complete trailer this spring with a little over a tube, and now use this stuff where-ever possible, and threw out every silicone tube that was in the shop...all good stuff. https://www.amazon.ca/Geocel-28100V-...8b4-0cfd-4dc4-
Old 03-13-2021, 07:53 AM   #9
New Camper

I know this is an older thread but as metal roofing contractor we use a product called Novaflex. They make a roofing version and siding version....I use the roofing version for everything though. I tested this stuff against all the major players and it hands down was the best. If your sealing something that is going to be between materials (cracks) then a few products will do but if sealing where its going to be exposed to sun/weather this stuff is great.
Daniellealaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 10:21 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniellealaine View Post
I know this is an older thread but as metal roofing contractor we use a product called Novaflex. They make a roofing version and siding version....I use the roofing version for everything though. I tested this stuff against all the major players and it hands down was the best. If your sealing something that is going to be between materials (cracks) then a few products will do but if sealing where its going to be exposed to sun/weather this stuff is great.
I'm curious, is this stuff a silicone that you use and can it be caulked again over itself? Most silicones don't adhere to themselves and basically won't allow anything else to be recaulked over that same area afterwards. Maybe I was looking at a different caulk, would you be able to provide a link. Thx.
Old 03-13-2021, 10:38 AM   #11
Site Team

And is it compatible with the camper roofing material?
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 01:34 PM   #12
Site Team

It's silicone based

Old 03-14-2021, 09:41 AM   #13
New Camper

Novaflex is an Oxime silicone based product, not acid based silicone. The acid based silicones are the ones to stay away from. My camper roof material is that thin crap sunset uses....no holes or tears yet but I have sealed some trim edges with it that touches the roof membrane a couple years ago and its like I put it on yesterday. The crappy membrane will tear up if you try to get this sealant off now.

I'm not a tech person I just know when they came out with this product we loved it as a metal roofing company. Years ago we used clear sealant as the coloring they added was a detriment to sealant....not the case today. Novaflex comes in alot of colors as you cannot paint it.

I would would use it on anything but thats me. Just google it for more info
Daniellealaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 09:50 PM   #14
Gone Traveling

I know that not every caulk on the market works well with RV windows. However, Dicor is quite versatile, seeing that I can use it on different crevices and gaps. I used it on my RV’s roof, windows, and other fissures that may need sealing
Philipclopez is offline   Reply With Quote