Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2021, 02:54 PM   #1
New Camper

Tank Flush System

I recently purchased a 2020 Sunset Trail 285CK. Last weekend, when I attempted to utilize the tank flush system for the first time, I had a significant leak in the storage area. Some of the water made it to the tanks, but most of it leaked through the storage area and out the front underside of the camper. I had connected the hose to the port and had the T-valve open on my black tank, so I am not certain what I might have done wrong. Has anyone had this happen before? If so, what was the issue?
mkkarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 04:41 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

It’s pretty simple. Hook up hose to the flush port, open valve and turn on water. Your going to have to get in there and see where it’s leaking. Welcome to the forum.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 07:14 PM   #3
Site Team

The first time we used the black tank flush we also got water in the storage area. Check under the bathroom sink for 2 hoses going up pretty high under the sink. At the top is a vacuum breaker/backflow preventer. On ours on one side the hose was loose. Tightened up the clamp and all is good.

If you do not have a loose hose have someone turn the backflush on while you watch for leaks then address them.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 08:08 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I had to replace two of the vacuum breaker/backflow preventers. If it doesn't seal properly it will leak. I finally removed it after a couple of floods and use an external backflow preventer that connects at the hose connection.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/AMERICAN-VA...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 08:17 PM   #5
New Camper

Thanks!

Thanks for the help everyone! I will check out those in my bathroom!
Old 07-04-2021, 03:10 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

You may have done nothing wrong, maybe bad washer or loose fitting somewhere, or hose to remote has a dip that held water and froze/ split during winter? Inspect it all.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 04:21 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

In back of your docking station in the front storage compartment is a water control bay. It has your water pump, backflow preventers and hoses for the hook ups. I opened mine up abs found a severely kinked hose. I’m sure that’s a possibility. I’ve learned to check this area frequently especially if I’m noticing unusual problems. Chances are you’ll find loose fittings, kinked hoses and other problems waiting to be addressed.

Tony & Lynne
Whidbey Island, WA
2021 Sunset Trail SuperLite SS212RB
2019 Ford F-350 FX-4 Crew cab, 6.2L gas
Tonyg2724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 11:15 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkkarnold View Post
I recently purchased a 2020 Sunset Trail 285CK. Last weekend, when I attempted to utilize the tank flush system for the first time, I had a significant leak in the storage area. Some of the water made it to the tanks, but most of it leaked through the storage area and out the front underside of the camper. I had connected the hose to the port and had the T-valve open on my black tank, so I am not certain what I might have done wrong. Has anyone had this happen before? If so, what was the issue?
Hey. Just a heads up. I just purchased a 2021 sunset trail this year. Straight from the dealer lot, found the black and grey tank drain valve labels were reversed. Not saying this is your issue but just a simple thing to keep in mind when using a new feature for the first time. Good idea to confirm and double check labelling etc. is all correct first thing. Might help avoid bigger issue later on.
Lakelife21 is offline   Reply With Quote