Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2017, 11:17 AM   #1
New Camper

Tire Questions

So both tires on the rear axle of my Zinger 28BH need to be replaced. I called to get a couple quotes and they came back with two options. A pair of Goodyears for $100 per tire and a $30 installation per tire or a pair of Thunderer tires for $65 per tire and the same for installation. I have two questions about this since its the first time I've had to put tires on the camper.

1. I've never heard of Thunderer tires, so if someone can tell me if they're good or bad, please let me know. Does it really and truly matter that much on a trailer? To be clear, I don't go for cheap tires on my vehicle. I don't go for the most expensive, but I don't price shop. If they're good solid tires, then I'll get them. If not I'll buy the Goodyears.

2. The front axle has Mastertracks on it, both in excellent shape; so there's no need to replace them. Is it a problem to mix and match tires on a trailer? I wouldn't do this on the truck, but a car is a tad different.

Thanks for the help.
Bigred15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:41 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Stick with the Goodyears. Thunderer has been around since about late 2000's and tires come out of Thailand. I just heard about them within the last year or so.

The Goodyear's were US made at one point but I believe are coming out of China or wherever now, but that's just about how the tire industry is now and days. I live outside Akron (OH) and tires haven't been made here in many years.

I've had Marathon's on my previous trailer and was happy with the tread wear and they seemed "heavier". Plus I've read and researched and the Marathons mostly had great reviews. I'm sure others will chime in and I welcome any reviews on the Thunderers because I'm all for helping the local economy here in Akron but I like saving money especially since the tires are no longer made here in the US anyways.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:51 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

1. I'm of the opinion that there's not much more important than towing with good equipment and the confidence that chances for problems are minimized for peace of mind and safety. That said, for $70 extra I would go with Goodyears vs. the lovingly named "China bombs" which category the Thunderers (never heard of them) probably fall into. My Fox Mountain came with Goodyears standard although they were made in China. After three seasons I've had no problems and they're not showing wear. I'm making an assumption that you're looking at the made in USA Goodyears? Always thought that I'd replace tires on either of my 5ers with Maxxis or the new Goodyears.

2. I was told by a tire dealer when I replaced two tires on my previously owned Sunset Trail that it was important to have the same brand and size on the same axle to assure the diameter of each tire was the same to prevent uneven wear on either tire. I had two different brands, one on the front axle and another on the rear axle. No problemo.

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:35 PM   #4
Site Team

Goodyear trailer tires are now being made in the U.S.
That would be my pick.
$30 a tire for mounting sounds pretty high to me.
Usually a dealer (mine anyway) mounts and balances for the same selling price.
I think maybe that guy is trying to make an extra buck.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:39 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Goodyear trailer tires are now being made in the U.S.
That would be my pick.
$30 a tire for mounting sounds pretty high to me.
Usually a dealer (mine anyway) mounts and balances for the same selling price.
I think maybe that guy is trying to make an extra buck.
To clarify, all Goodyear trailer tires are not made in the US. The Marathon tire is still manufactured overseas but the Goodyear Endurance is made in the US and the price will reflect it. I assumed the tire in the OP was a Marathon tire.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:41 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMark View Post
To clarify, all Goodyear trailer tires are not made in the US. The Marathon tire is still manufactured overseas but the Goodyear Endurance is made in the US and the price will reflect it. I assumed the tire in the OP was a Marathon tire.

Good point.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:45 PM   #7
Gone Traveling

I have no experience with either, but my opinion is whatever you choose to buy go up at least 1 ply rating (C to D, D to E) as rv tires from the factory are usually the bare minimum as far as weight/speed rating, you could sell the others on Craigslist or somewhere. I also agree to get the best you can afford, your family is usually with you in a rv, if it was a utility trailer I'd just buy used tires. I might also add that over the years I've finally learned "you get what you pay for", I used to always find a good mid priced tire for my vehicles & now just buy Michelins, yea they cost more, but they usually outlast 2-3 sets of those mid priced tires.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:48 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

All said, go with the US made tire.

That 50 bucks a tire you save can easily be lost in a blowout. I read an insurance blog that explained how the steel belts coming off a blowout often do

$1,000s in damage to the side and underbellys of trailers.
We had a couple tires on our 06 Jayco about 7 years ago blow out with no warning and no signs of wear (since they rot from the inside out). We were lucky I saw it happening. Even though we pulled over PDQ it still tore up the back quarter of my trailer.

As an aside, apparently the RV industry is "tiring"of all the china bomb issues. I read Jayco is going to start putting Endurance tires on their trailers OEM.

Old 08-04-2017, 01:51 PM   #9
Site Team

Here's a link maybe the op would be interested in reading.
Goodyear Announces American Made Trailer Tire | The Small Trailer Enthusiast
Old 08-04-2017, 01:57 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Here's a link maybe the op would be interested in reading.
Goodyear Announces American Made Trailer Tire | The Small Trailer Enthusiast
Good article. Same one i read back in the winter.

Note that Maxxis is considered to be tops in the industry..and made in Thailand. go figure.

I'd still op for the Endurance. Ill put another couple 1000 miles on my trailer and swap them out next summer for the Endurance.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:02 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Just a suggestion, whatever tire you decide to go with have them balanced and also have the two that you are not replacing balanced also. It will make a difference.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:44 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

The best you can hope for is "you get what you pay for." You seldom get more and in non-vanity items like tires cost usually reflects quality. Go for the Goodyears and go up one grade as has been mentioned. Your life is riding on them.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:14 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

One thing about the goodyear marathons, when mine exploded and took out the side panels, etc on our 5'er...
I saved the tire carcass and pics, then an email and form to goodyear and I was reimbursed for all out of pocket expenses and the replacement tire...
Old 08-05-2017, 10:06 AM   #14
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMark View Post
Good article. Same one i read back in the winter.

Note that Maxxis is considered to be tops in the industry..and made in Thailand. go figure.

I'd still op for the Endurance. Ill put another couple 1000 miles on my trailer and swap them out next summer for the Endurance.
I put the Maxxis on my trailer at the beginning of the season and have about 4,500 miles no issues and no signs of wear. I can't complain about them, my last camper had them as well no issues and got rid of the trailer with about 15k miles on them.

Screen Name = half Labrador, half Beagle and full of attitude.
Labbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:38 PM   #15
New Camper

The $30 per tire installation was irking me a little bit because that seemed high, but being the first time I've ever had tires replaced on a trailer I was willing to go with it until someone mentioned it. I called another place and they have the same Goodyear tires, for the same price, but will do it for $10 per tire. So I'm headed there this week whenever it stops raining.

The first place I called was Camping World, who I'm starting to get frustrated with to be honest. So I called a local Truck and Trailers place that did the install of my GFs hitch on her SUV and my Brake Controller on the new truck. They're also going to look into why I'm getting such weird wear on the tire of that one axle.

Thanks
Bigred15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 01:43 PM   #16
Gone Traveling

If you're buying new tires from the same shop that's mounting them they shouldn't be charging to mount/balance, at least I've never paid extra. If they want to sell to me that charge if there is one won't be added to the price of already expensive tires. I know it's only $40, but it's my $40, if that puts them out of business then that's too bad. The only place I've bought tires in the last several years is Discount Tire & the deal comes with mount/new stems/balance/lifetime free rotation & balance that I can use all across the country.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:24 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

In the mid-2000's I experienced blowouts on our 2004 Terry 5er which had 15" Goodyear Marathons -twice. I changed to Maxxis 8008's and experienced no more blowouts.
Since I'm also from Akron, and actually worked at Goodyear until 1978 , I wanted to buy their tires again if made in the US. So I recently bought 4 Endurance tires for our "newer 5er" and they have performed well so far. Not many miles on them yet but the technical report I read seemed convincing. We'll see.
87_Fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:52 PM   #18
Full Time Camper

A little while back I helped out a buddy balance his books at his tire shop. I got a good look at costs and prices. He sells tires just above wholesale, but does charge for mount and balance. Others mark up the tire even more, but don't charge for mount/balance. There is a lot of room between wholesale and MSRP, especially when dealers offer incentives to move a brand or line of tires. Check out Amazon prices before shipping. They are pretty low, just $5 or $10 (per tire) above wholesale. But shipping can be high, and then you still need m/b. But then you'll be able to judge the complete offer.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:03 AM   #19
Weekend Camper

+1 on Discount Tire.
Reese StraightLine WD w/dual cam sway control
Delillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:31 AM   #20
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigred15 View Post
The $30 per tire installation was irking me a little bit because that seemed high, but being the first time I've ever had tires replaced on a trailer I was willing to go with it until someone mentioned it. I called another place and they have the same Goodyear tires, for the same price, but will do it for $10 per tire. So I'm headed there this week whenever it stops raining.

The first place I called was Camping World, who I'm starting to get frustrated with to be honest. So I called a local Truck and Trailers place that did the install of my GFs hitch on her SUV and my Brake Controller on the new truck. They're also going to look into why I'm getting such weird wear on the tire of that one axle.
culture
Thanks
I would just about as soon deal with the devil as Camping World. There are probably some good ones but my experience has been that they have a miserable mix of arrogance, greed and incompetence in their corporate culture. I avoid them.