Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2023, 04:22 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

TV surround sound help.

So, I have a Jensen TV and my stereo system is SSL ml41b. I know how to play music from my phone on Bluetooth changing speakers from inside to outside. Now, the only way I’ve found to listen to my TV with the surround sound is to use a double single male adapter cord. Plugging one end into the auxiliary-in on the bottom of the TV and the other end into the auxiliary-in on the front bottom right of the radio. The surround sound works that way but I cannot stop the sound from also coming out the outside speakers. I’ve tried everything. I’ve tried the Fade, and balance with no luck. Not sure what I’m missing. Or is there another way to play surround sound without the double male cord. It also came with a double usb cord but haven’t been able to play surround sound on the TV with that. Also, I should mention that when I play music from my phone through the Bluetooth on the stereo; when I use the fade button to only play on the inside, I can also slightly hear it from the outside speakers. So, I’m now wondering if it was wired wrong! Any help would be appreciated.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 07:54 PM   #2
Site Team

Pull out the radio and see if there are any "out" audio jacks on the back of the radio to connect to sound surround.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 07:34 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

There is not an audio out. There is one on the front of the radio and I can hook into that with a male single plug and hook into TV in with the other end which also is a single male plug. The problem is the wires on the back of radio show front and rear speaker and nothing showing outside speakers. I can get surround sound but I can’t seem to balance or fade out the outside speakers when hooked to surround sound. So, I’m assuming they’re tied into the rear speakers or both front and rear.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Old 04-14-2023, 08:40 PM   #4
Site Team

This is the rear of the radio and it shows two audio outs. Is this what you back of the radio looks like?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jen.jpg (122.6 KB, 14 views)

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Old 04-15-2023, 06:57 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Yes this is mine. Top white is labeled (Right). Bottom red is labeled (Left).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E384CA4D-B8C6-4CF5-B59F-E70096D9E422.jpg (156.2 KB, 9 views)

Old 04-15-2023, 07:10 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Ok I can get surround sound to work by using the Aux in on the bottom right front of radio under the usb. The problem is I can’t get the sound to stop coming through the outside speakers also. I’ve tried balancing and fade but seems the speakers (outside) are wired into the others or wired all together. The wiring of the speakers on the back of the radio are labeled Right rear, Right front, Left rear, Left front. Nothing about outside which makes me think the outside speakers are wired into the inside speakers probably somewhere in the ceiling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F297E580-B383-4BF3-AA22-D6C46CB18F04.jpg (75.8 KB, 9 views)

Old 04-15-2023, 10:24 AM   #7
Site Team

Would this cable work to connect to back of radio to TV???

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...DKIKX0DER&th=1

Old 04-15-2023, 02:31 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

It may just be a normal function of the "Surround sound" that all speakers will have some level of output, regardless of fader and balance settings...
I'm thinking that if you have the ability to turn 2 of the 4 speakers completely off, your basically not using a true surround sound playback.
I know that when using surround in my home theater room, certain settings make the rear speakers seem to disappear, but if you move in close to them, they are still playing, just at a very muted level.
Old 04-15-2023, 06:49 PM   #9
Site Team

Can't you break the line to the outside speakers and put a, on/off switch in?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 05:39 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

You might be right Rrizz. And Lloyd that’s something I’ll need to look into when I get home. Here is the speaker diagram on the rear of the radio. I have four speakers inside the camper and two outside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4476144B-3C76-4410-AC91-26C55A00DD95.jpg (257.7 KB, 7 views)

Old 06-03-2023, 02:54 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

So finally got a chance to dive into the speaker situation. I pulled both outside speakers and all four inside speakers. There is nowhere I can find where they’re tied together. Must be in the center or back of the ceiling where I can’t access. I’ve tried unhooking front inside speakers and rear inside speaker. Front then rear then one at a time. No matter what I do. Fade or balance on the radio. I still get some sound on outside speakers if I fade to inside and some inside sound if I fade to outside. So, the only way to play the tv sound on the inside speakers and not get some sound on the outside speakers is to unplug the outside speakers. So frustrating.

Old 06-03-2023, 03:19 PM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Lloyds suggestion might be your solution then. Sounds like a wiring mixup. I’m wondering if one outside speaker isn’t tied in with (an example) the right front, and the other outside speaker tied in with the left rear. Or vice-versa.
You should be able to figure that out by manipulating the fade/bal to each of the 4 locations, (fade front/bal right, ect)and see which triggers each outside speaker.
Old 06-03-2023, 07:05 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Can't you break the line to the outside speakers and put a, on/off switch in?
I can’t find the line to cut. I can pull each outside speaker and see the wiring going into the camper wall. But it must be spliced into the other speakers wiring somewhere in the wall or ceiling. I pulled all four inside speakers and tried pulling the wiring and reaching into the ceiling as far as I can reach and nothing. I tried unhooking wiring behind the radio. Found the front inside left speaker was wired into the outside front speaker and the front inside right speaker was also connected to the outside rear speaker. So my plan was to unhook the two inside front speakers, live that for the outside speakers. Then connect front inside speakers to rear inside speakers. But then found after I had unhooked both front inside speakers, the rear speaker inside were also connected to outside speakers.

Old 06-04-2023, 02:28 PM   #14
Seasonal Camper

That radio set cannot be the one that originally came with the RV. Most of us that have an RV Audio set have settings or buttons and the wiring indicates 'inside' and 'outside' for the appropriate speakers.
Someone must have replaced the original radio set.
It can never be wired to adjust the speakers for inside and outside, just various modes of surround sound.
You can add a switch to turn off the outside speakers once you find the wires, but you won't be able to get true stereo or surround sound outside that way.
If it were me, I'd find an RV radio with the inside and outside buttons.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 07:54 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

I purchased the RV brand new. Unless the dealership changed out the radio before it was sold to me. I wish someone else had the exact same year and model to see what radio was in the unit. Or maybe it was done in the factory and they were out of the standard radio and installed something else they had in stock.

Old 06-05-2023, 09:08 AM   #16
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
I purchased the RV brand new. Unless the dealership changed out the radio before it was sold to me. I wish someone else had the exact same year and model to see what radio was in the unit. Or maybe it was done in the factory and they were out of the standard radio and installed something else they had in stock.
My usual response to this would be 'now I've seen it all', but in today's world, nothing surprises me anymore.
Here is a link to the operator's manual and wiring diagram for that model radio:
https://www.soundstormlab.com/manual...B_EN_UM_V2.PDF
There are a total of 8 speaker connections, 4 are for the 4 surround sound speakers wired directly, and 4 for connection to an optional pre-amp. You would only use one set of 4 for normal use.
There is no method to wire or adjust that radio to cut off the outside speakers. In reviewing all the operational instructions, there isn't even a method to change to 'stereo' mode, so you can use only 2 speakers.
You could wire the outside speakers to a switch and 2 of the 4 channels, but you'd get 1/2 of the surround sound, unless you switched the radio to poor sounding 'mono' mode.
To compare, that radio is still available for $30.
That radio does not belong in an RV with outside speakers.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 05:24 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

Thanks for all the input. I guess I’ll just live with it.

Old 06-05-2023, 07:53 PM   #18
Site Team

Not saying this may help but I bought one of those endoscopes. It will allow you to see inside the walls or the ceiling. When I installed the readout for my EMS I kept hitting something in the wall. With the endoscope I was able to see what it was and work around it. It's a cool tool and lets face it you can never have enough tools.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 09:29 AM   #19
Full Time Camper

True thanks