Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2024, 02:22 PM   #1
New Camper

Pickup Size

Has anyone pulled a 335 Cruiser or similar with a Chevy 2500HD with a 6.0 gas engine? Mine seems underpowered to pull it any distance so didn’t install the hitch. Hired it pulled to Arizona.
Old 01-11-2024, 04:28 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Tow capacities are different for every vehicle. The capacities sticker on your truck and the sticker on the RV will give you numbers to start.
Also, you should always weigh your rig when you calculate payload.
Power is not a deciding factor when towing.
The saying goes 'Just because you can doesn't mean you should'.
Whether or not your truck can tow your RV should have been calculated before your purchase.
https://www.kbb.com/car-advice/towing-capacity-guide/
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 05:33 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Turbo--------------11
I had a 2013 Cruiser SKP if I remember correctly it was close to 12,000 lbs. and I pulled it with a 3/4 ton GMC with no problem, but my GMC had a 6.6 Dura Max... I think the 6.0 gaser would be more of a problem unless you don't mind going slow up hills... Maybe one of the site guys will get on and help you out...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 05:55 PM   #4
New Camper

That’s what my thoughts were. For now we are just using it to snowbird in Az but in two years intend to pull it home and start using it closer to home on shorter camping trips. I do have a 4:10 rear end in it but can’t hardly stand crawling up every hill for 1500 miles so thinking of maybe trading for a diesel.
Old 01-11-2024, 05:57 PM   #5
New Camper

Also camper weighs 9700 pounds empty.
Old 01-11-2024, 06:02 PM   #6
Site Team

I pulled my old 2013 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS for 11 years with my 2013 Ford F150 V6 Twin Turbo. It had all the power and grunt I needed. Towed up and down the coast to Myrtle Beach and out to Tennessee and back without a problem. I did modify the rear suspension and used heavy duty semi-metallic brakes and heavy duty rotors.
Not sure about the Chevy's abilities but was satisfied with my Ford.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2024, 06:23 PM   #7
Site Team

The closest I can get is this. When we bought our 09 Seville ew 10500. Pulled it home with a 05 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 4x4 long bed 4.10 rear gears. Pulled it about 200 miles and went looking for a diesel. The 2500 handled it very well but on large hills the 6.0 was wound pretty tight and still lost mph and mpg. Mostly flat it rolled on but not in overdrive.

Traded it on a 19 3500hd with the 6.6 Duramax and the power is night and day. Now loaded it does not know a hill big or small. And the MPG's went up both loaded and empty.

Would the 2500hd do the job -- yes but it had its limitations. Does the 3500hd do a better job-- the ride is about the same. The way it handles it the same to me -- both are SRW. The stopping is the same But the power difference is noticeable. Not to mention the engine brake.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 07:42 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

the newer gm 2500 with 6.6 gas motor and 10 speed tow much better than the 6.0 6 speed but the 10,000$ more for the dsl may be worth it if you tow much out west.
Old 01-14-2024, 02:23 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

That is a long and fairly heavy RV.

Gas engines are a bit of an issue to fill up as you are pretty much required to go thru the car lanes. The maneuver thing is a big deal. Look at all the scars on the safety posts around gas pumps.

Rolling thru a truck lane is an easy drive. And you can stop for food easily without blocking anyone.

Cost per mile for a diesel is a little cheaper.

The extra $10,000 you spend for a diesel truck will come back to you when you sell it. Look at the truck bluebooks etc.

We pull our 37’ fiver all over and rarely has it struggled at all. The diesel will be more relaxed to drive.

Buy a 1 ton diesel. Not a 2500.
tomkatbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 04:57 PM   #10
Site Team

Got this off a Ford website. IMHO the 250 is more than capable of pulling your model Cruiser.

Quote:
The F-250 and F-350 are the two shining stars in Ford’s best-in-class lineup of super-duty trucks. These trucks offer unparalleled performance and come in six trim levels: XL, XLT, Lariat, King Ranch, Platinum, and Limited.

There is no clear winner when comparing these two trucks; the only significant difference is their payload and towing capacities. So, let’s find out how these trucks compete against each other and which one best suits your needs.

Engine
The F-250 and F-350 share the same engine lineup. The 6.2L flex-fuel V8 engine is standard on both trucks, producing 385 horsepower and 430 pound-feet of torque. Alternatively, you can opt for a 7.3L V8 with 430 horsepower and 475 pound-feet of torque or a 6.7L “Power Stroke” Turbo-Diesel V8, which offers 450 horsepower and 935 pound-feet of torque.

Transmission & Drivetrain
As far as transmission is concerned, there are two options available- a TorqShift G 6-Speed automatic transmission with “SelectShift Automatic” and a TorqShift G 10-Speed automatic transmission. Both trucks come with rear-wheel drive as standard, while all-wheel drive is optional across the lineup.

Towing Capacity
The F-250 and F-350 are miles ahead of the competitors when it comes to towing power. The F-250 offers a maximum towing capacity of 18,500 pounds, while the F-350 ups the ante with an exceptional tow rating of 37,000 pounds. The towing ability varies depending on the engine you select, but these trucks will never let you down, no matter which variant you choose.

Payload
The F-350 outshines the F-250 in terms of payload capacity. The F-350 pickup truck can carry a maximum load of 7,640 pounds, which is about twice as much as the F-250’s maximum payload capacity of 4,270 pounds.

Interior & Exterior
The F-250 and F-350 flaunt an identical appearance, and the only visible difference is that the F-350 has the option of dual rear wheels, whereas the F-250 comes with single rear wheels only.

In terms of interior, both trucks feature an array of world-class amenities that will make your journey extremely pleasant, relaxing, and comfortable. The standard interior features include an 8-inch infotainment touchscreen, navigation, Apple CarPlay®, Android AutoTM, a 110-volt charging outlet, and satellite radio. As you move up through the various trim levels, you can get dual-zone climate control, a twin-panel moonroof, adaptive steering, power-adjustable pedals, a leather-wrapped steering wheel, and leather-trimmed seats.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote