Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2020, 03:43 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

2014 SF270BH Bumper Receiver

We are looking at purchasing a 2014 SF270BH, looks like a good floorplan for our family. I have towed lots of trailers but this will be out first 5th wheel.

Two questions:

I have a 2019 F350 crew cab short box, unloaded the tailgate height is almost 60 inches, I meant to measure the height of the SF270B overhang to see if I have room to keep it mostly level when towing as I don't want to be too far nose up. Does anyone have a measurement on this?

I am also wondering if anyone has added a receiver the back of the trailer frame to tow an atv/utility trailer or boat? I have seen many 5th wheels with another trailer behind them on the highway just not sure if this frame is built for it.

Thanks!
Rob
bainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 05:26 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

I have pulled my boat behind my 2 5th wheels. My current trailer came with a frame mounted receiver hitch. I took my first 5th wheel to a weld shop and had a frame mounted hitch install. I would not pull anything off of the stock tube bumper. Just my 2c worth
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 05:43 PM   #3
Site Team

I have had receiver hitches welded to the frame on several campers. DO NOT ATTACH TO THE BUMPER! `And i ask the person welding the hitch on if they have a wife and kids. Why they ask and i tell them i want it storng enough that if your family were behind me you would not worry about it coming off. I believe in over building.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:57 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainer View Post
We are looking at purchasing a 2014 SF270BH, looks like a good floorplan for our family. I have towed lots of trailers but this will be out first 5th wheel.

Two questions:

I have a 2019 F350 crew cab short box, unloaded the tailgate height is almost 60 inches, I meant to measure the height of the SF270B overhang to see if I have room to keep it mostly level when towing as I don't want to be too far nose up. Does anyone have a measurement on this?

Thanks!
Rob

The back end of my f150 sits about 55 or 56 in. off the ground. I had trouble getting mine to run level. I can't answer your question regarding the rig you are looking at. But, if I had to make a guess I would bet you will have trouble trying to get it to run level. Maybe you should find out how high a hitch will sit in your truck, then go over to the rig you are looking at, back under it and do some measuring.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 08:46 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the towing info, I would never tow with the stock bumper haha it barely holds that spare tire let alone a 3,000lb boat.

I am going to the RV dealer again on the weekend so will measure the used SF270bh they have there and see how it looks, will also check the hitch height in the back of my truck and do some calculations. Good idea to hook up before the final purchase that could save some hassle down the road.

As for the overhang height, curious for any of the SF270bh owners out there if they are towing with a 2017+ F350 if they were able to get it level?
Old 05-08-2020, 09:49 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Good that you noticed the height thing.

We discovered this issue in 2018. The first two fifth wheelers we picked out were 7" too low.
tomkatbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 12:00 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

When we bought our Sunset Trail I sprang for the dealer-install on the weight distribution hitch. I've worked with them before on other campers and trucks and usually got them set up OK but I figured this time I'd see what the pros could pull off.

I'm glad I did. The guy was there about two hours, measuring all the wheel heights, adjusting back and forth, lather rinse repeat until it was perfect. I ended up having to buy a much taller shank than the kit came with but they credited me for the shank in the kit so it wasn't a big price difference.

I'm not saying this is what others should do - I'm a DIYer by nature myself. But it was educational watching the guy go at it. He spent a LOT more time measuring (with a tape measure) vehicle heights at all four wheels while hitched and un-hitched and component alignments than I've ever done. I usually just eyeballed it until it looked pretty level. So just sharing that detail, I guess.
backcountrycamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 12:02 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

I've been reading quite a bit on it, one solution is to lower the back end of the F350 by swapping the leaf spring blocks from the stock 3.5 inch F350 ones to the 2 inch Dually ones, Ford part# 6C3Z-5598-A They say its a simple way to get a couple inches drop, but if you need much more than that then its an issue as the fifth wheel needs to be raised which is $$$.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ear-end-3.html
Old 05-12-2020, 08:04 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

I was able to measure the fifth wheel:
Overhang Height 61
F350 Tailgate Height 59

Assuming 2 inches of suspension compression that is still only 4 inches of clearance. I did notice the leafs on the trailer were in the upper hole, so I could move them to the lower and gain another 1.5 inches trailer height. If I also change the F350 rear leaf blocks as per above that would give another 1.5 inches.

I suspect that after both of these changes I should be very close to the 6-7 inches of bed clearance that is needed. I may try swapping the blocks in the F350 and see where that gets me first as I have read mixed reviews on raising the 5er and it causing handling issues.

Any other thoughts??
Old 05-17-2020, 04:55 PM   #10
New Camper

I pull a 2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29RL 5th wheel. I traded trucks last year, and obtained a 2019 F350 as a new tow vehicle. I also had concerns with the bed height on the new truck. I did two things that fixed the issue for me. I made sure the truck came with 18 inch tires and wheel, this dropped the bed 2 inches from the standard 20 inch wheels. I installed a Reese hitch for the Ford puck system, and had the dealer set it at the lowest setting. It was time to get rid of the cheap trailer tires that came with the unit, so I installed new 16 inch wheels with Bridgestone Duravis R250 LT Tires, which raised the trailer an inch. The new trucks have a bit softer 1st leaf for better ride, so it will settle about an inch more than you think it might. When done, the trailer rides about 3/4 to 1 inch high on the nose, but I have 6-8 inches of bed clearance, and it pulls great. I have put about 9000 miles on it in the last year over all kinds of roads including Colorado and Utah mountains and forest service campgrounds, and so far have been extremely pleased with the setup.
Jim Hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 05:52 PM   #11
New Camper

Here is picture of truck and trailer. Hope this helps.
Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190622_121231.jpg (146.5 KB, 8 views)
Jim Hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:23 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the info Jim, we pick up the fifth wheel on Tuesday so we'll see what it looks like at that point and I have a few options now to lower the truck if needed. I'll post my findings soon!
Old 05-19-2020, 10:00 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

Picked up the fifth wheel today, looks really good other than being about 7 inches nose high. This was dry and unloaded so once we get it filled up I am hoping the pin weight will help me a little. Hard to believe the back end of the truck only went from 59" to 58.25" with the 1,200 pin weight on it. I was hoping for 2 or so inches.

However I realize its not going to be that simple, I will need to also drop the leafs on the trailer to get another 1-1.5 inches, then put the shorter blocks in the back of the F350 to get another 1.5-2 inches. I will see where that gets me and if I need to go further then we'll need to look at other options. I do have good box clearance, 9 at the front and 7 at the back, I suspect that will grow even more as I raise the trailer and lower the truck.

Any advice or other options to add in to my plan?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-7430.jpg (282.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-7431.jpg (265.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 05-20-2020, 01:27 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Any advice or other options to add in to my plan?
I have the same trailer with the same issue. Here are links to a couple of posts about things I have done to resolve my issue. Mine tows about an inch high now.

https://www.crossroadsowners.com/for...tml#post123859

https://www.crossroadsowners.com/for...tml#post138808

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 01:41 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

Hi DavisK,

I was actually looking at your posts the other night, sounds like we are in the exact same situation with the same trailer so I appreciate you posting!

My trailer has the original (2013) tires on it so I was thinking its about time to get new ones anyways so I will be looking into the 16's as you mentioned since that would get me another inch. This is a great backup plan if the lowering of the truck rear blocks and trailer spring holes don't net me enough "levelling".

How does the trailer tow since you raised it and put the 16's on?
Old 05-21-2020, 03:41 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
How does the trailer tow since you raised it and put the 16's on?
It does fantastic. Last summer I towed it to Maine from Virginia. I took the long way around to avoid New York City, taking I-81 up through Pennsylvania. I was trying to keep up with the traffic and make as good time as I could because my first overnight stay was in Boston. On a few occasions through eastern PA, NY and Connecticut I looked down at the speedometer, and it was on the northern side of 80. It really tows well behind my Duramax.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 04:39 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

Perfect that's just what I wanted to hear! I ordered a wet bolt kit last night and also got the smaller rear blocks coming for the F350. Should have some revised measurements in a couple of weeks.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:48 PM   #18
Weekend Camper

Got a few changes completed, installed the wet bolts and leafs to the lower (raised height) spring holes. Came across some new take-off 16" trailer rims with 235/80/16 tires, a little bigger than I had planned to go but the price was right so I had to get them.

With both these changes it raised the trailer frame up to 25 inches level, before it was right around 22.5. Now to get the truck rear blocks changed and we'll see how it looks when its hooked up!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-7476.jpg (255.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-7477.jpg (277.1 KB, 3 views)
Old 06-04-2020, 06:37 PM   #19
Weekend Camper

Took the trailer for an axle alignment today and a good test drive afterwards as well. I repacked the bearings last week and they were all good and cool averaging 90-95 degrees after a highway cruise. Trailer pulls really well, this is our first fifth wheel and it feels much better than a bumper pull, but that was with our old truck a F150 so a different comparison.

The larger trailer tires and lowered leaf spring mounts brought it much closer to level. Front to rear is now 2 inches nose up which I am much happier with than the previous 7 inches! Box clearance is great at 8 inches, I could lower the hitch and get a few more inches but I like the box clearance too. Once the truck is loaded with 4 people, dogs, diesel and some stuff in the box I suspect we'll be a little closer to level as well.

Those smaller rear blocks on the F350 also brought the back end down to just a hair under level when hooked up the fifth wheel. The picture looks lower in the rear than it actually is, measuring the wheel wells it was 0.5 inches lower in the rear compared to the front.

Thanks everyone for the help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-7505.jpg (345.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 06-04-2020, 06:51 PM   #20
Site Team

When you put the shorter blocks in the rear, what did that do to the front?

8 in. clearance between the box and the camper is a lot. You could drop the hitch one hole and really be in good shape, and still have plenty of box clearance.

Sounds like you are getting set up and road ready.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote