Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-31-2018, 12:12 AM   #1
New Camper
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: MN
Posts: 8
Suggestions needed for Black Hills full hookups

We are taking possession of our first TT on Saturday, a 2018 Zinger Lite ZR18BH. I'm upgrading from tenting with my daughters and my husband only "hotel'ed" it prior to agreeing to this purchase. We have some small trips planned for June, but are headed out of state in July. We absolutely love the Black Hills and specifically Hill City, SD and have traveled there 6 or 7 times. This time, no hotels for us as we're going to take the new trailer.

I'm looking for your favorite campsites with electric/water/sewer. Ours is a small, bummer pull rig, so no concerns about space and we're adept travelers and haulers and really familiar with the area. Just looking for your favorite campsites in the Hill City area as this is new to us.
rgschott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:40 AM   #2
Weekend Camper
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: IL
Posts: 76
Custer State Park has a great number of camp grounds. We spent about seven or eight nights in the Blue Bell campground and another five nights in Game Lodge camp grounds. Two entirely different camp grounds. Blue bell is nestled amount the tall ponderosa pines and game lodge is more prairie style with a small creek going through it. So much to see. I believe both have electric and water. There are bath houses in each also. Dump stations are around.

The Bad Lands also had some nice camping. Water and electric with bath houses. A shower runs about a buck, so have some quarters with you. Right off the bad lands is a former missle sight NPS has turned into a Park. Tours into the missle silos fill up fast. I believe it is first come, first serve. Enjoy your trip. I loved it.
cubfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:11 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: S. Illinois (means South of I-80)
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgschott View Post
We are taking possession of our first TT on Saturday, a 2018 Zinger Lite ZR18BH. I'm upgrading from tenting with my daughters and my husband only "hotel'ed" it prior to agreeing to this purchase. We have some small trips planned for June, but are headed out of state in July. We absolutely love the Black Hills and specifically Hill City, SD and have traveled there 6 or 7 times. This time, no hotels for us as we're going to take the new trailer.

I'm looking for your favorite campsites with electric/water/sewer. Ours is a small, bummer pull rig, so no concerns about space and we're adept travelers and haulers and really familiar with the area. Just looking for your favorite campsites in the Hill City area as this is new to us.
We stayed at Rafter J Bar Ranch, and enjoyed the stay and really enjoyed the area. Located near Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse.

https://www.rafterj.com/


This is one area we will go back to since there is more to see than the week we were there.
__________________
2015 Sunset Trail 270bh
2011 Ford f150 Eco Beast 3.73-max tow-max payload, man mirrors

Screen Name = half Labrador, half Beagle and full of attitude.
Labbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:13 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: S. Illinois (means South of I-80)
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubfan View Post
Right off the bad lands is a former missle sight NPS has turned into a Park. Tours into the missle silos fill up fast. I believe it is first come, first serve. Enjoy your trip. I loved it.
Wish I would have done this tour, but my family didn't want to. Next time I am there I am going myself.
__________________
2015 Sunset Trail 270bh
2011 Ford f150 Eco Beast 3.73-max tow-max payload, man mirrors

Screen Name = half Labrador, half Beagle and full of attitude.
Labbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 11:54 AM   #5
New Camper
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: MN
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labbie View Post
We stayed at Rafter J Bar Ranch, and enjoyed the stay and really enjoyed the area. Located near Mount Rushmore and Crazy Horse.

https://www.rafterj.com/

This is one area we will go back to since there is more to see than the week we were there.
@labbie: The Black Hills are our favorite area to visit and for all practical purposes, it's in our "backyard". We live on the western edge of MN right by the border. As a kid, I traveled with my family and our horses to go trail riding out there. As a married couple, my husband and I have made 6 or 7 trips for a week each and absolutely love it! We have attempted to do something different every time we go and so far have been successful. In 2016 we hiked to Harney's Peak. It was a good hike and the views were incredible. I'm so very excited to make this trip in our own camper!
__________________
2018 CR Zinger ZR18BH
pulled by 2001 Tahoe 5.3L (she's bought and paid for!)
rgschott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:19 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: S. Illinois (means South of I-80)
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgschott View Post
@labbie: The Black Hills are our favorite area to visit and for all practical purposes, it's in our "backyard". We live on the western edge of MN right by the border. As a kid, I traveled with my family and our horses to go trail riding out there. As a married couple, my husband and I have made 6 or 7 trips for a week each and absolutely love it! We have attempted to do something different every time we go and so far have been successful. In 2016 we hiked to Harney's Peak. It was a good hike and the views were incredible. I'm so very excited to make this trip in our own camper!
We hiked Harney peak in 2016 as well, the views were nice unfortunately the day we were there it was very smoky from wildfires. My 10 year old son wanted to turn around a half mile in, and to this day he still talks about the view.

I work with a group of engineers in the Black Hills and they were telling me they had bad wildfires last year and a lot of Custer State Park burned.
__________________
2015 Sunset Trail 270bh
2011 Ford f150 Eco Beast 3.73-max tow-max payload, man mirrors

Screen Name = half Labrador, half Beagle and full of attitude.
Labbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:39 PM   #7
Site Team
 
DavisK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: VA
Posts: 1,210
Congratulations on the TT and welcome to the forum!
__________________

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2014 Sunset Trail SF270BH
Holly & Buster, mini Dachshunds
2016: 1 trip, 3 nights in 1 state, 316 miles
2015: 5 trips, 18 nights in 3 states, 2707 miles
2014: 5 trips, 14 nights in 3 states, 2426 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:41 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: NC
Posts: 272
There's a nice KOA centrally located to all the National Parks and Monuments. It even has hot and cold running bunnies. There are swarms of "wild" domestic rabbits of all colors and sizes that roam through the grounds.
__________________
2015 Crossroads Cruiser Aire CAF27RL, 2018 F250 diesel crewcab SRW 4WD short bed, Trailer Saver hitch with Reese adapter on Ford OEM underbed 5th wheel connector.
stormseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:14 PM   #9
Full Time Camper
 
Steve7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Nv
Posts: 624
The Mt Rushmore KOA was awesome. Very large and lots of amenities. A few miles from Mt Rushmore and not far from Custers Park. Can walk right out into forest if you want to.
__________________
Steve & Sue
2017 Grand Design 297RSTS Travel Trailer
2017 Ford F-350 Lariat Crew Cab diesel 6.7 SW LB 11,500 lb GVWR package
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 06:22 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member
 
morphrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 191
I have a friend who bought out the Custer Crazy Horse campground in Custer in Spring of 2017. Great folks there. Cullum family will take great care of your needs and they are minutes from Crazy Horse.
__________________
2015 Z-218TD
(2) 100 watt Renogy Solar Panels
30 amp Renogy Wanderer
2001 6.0 2500HD Gasser
morphrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 05:02 AM   #11
Weekend Camper
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: CA
Posts: 32
What about Rafter J Bar Ranch? It has almost five camping areas with modern facilities.
Remedios_Sharrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 02:51 PM   #12
New Camper
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: MI
Posts: 9
I agree on the KOA. We have stayed there a couple of times.
__________________
2014 Ram 3500 CTD, 3.73 Aisin 75 gal Transfer Flow fuel tank long bed Curt 20k hitch--
2015 Carriage RL40, Onan gen, 17.5 Goodyear, Titan Disc brakes
bull_chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:32 PM   #13
New Camper
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: AZ
Posts: 3
Camping Spots

Allstays Camp & RV is an app on Apple as well as a web site. It has all the campgrounds in the country. You might find it useful. I never leave home without it!
Bud1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:20 AM   #14
Kab
Weekend Camper
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Nd
Posts: 20
We usually stay in Spearfish at the City Campground. also have stayed at the KOA there both are great places.
We travel the black hills from there.
Kab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 03:25 PM   #15
Family Vacation Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Mb
Posts: 138
I second the suggestion for Rafter J Bar ranch. Pretty central to whole region just south of Hill City. Stayed there for 10 nights and had short day trips to see attractions.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2013 Zinger ZT260BH towed by a 2013 Silverado Z71 1500 CC 5.3L
660catman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:12 PM   #16
Weekend Camper
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 55
I was just in CSP this weekend. Most of the park is in good shape. Had a great time.

We stayed at Legion lake campground. If you do decide make sure you bring extra hose to fill your freshwater tanks.

Reservations are a challenge most of the time plan on 1 year plus for the good sites.
__________________
Clint

2017 Crossroads Volante 310bh
2016 Ford F-350 6.7l PSD Superduty

Vikes79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:27 PM   #17
New Camper
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: MN
Posts: 8
I have 4 nights booked at Horse Thief Campground outside of Hill City. Right in the thick of the Black Hills and only 3 miles from Sylvan lake (where I LOVE to hike!). We're staying a 5th night in Chamberlain on the Missouri River on our way back home. Granted we'll spend more in fuel there and back than previous years, but the site rentals are 1/3 the price of hotels plus eating a few more meals at "home" will help offset the fuel increases. We're so excited!
__________________
2018 CR Zinger ZR18BH
pulled by 2001 Tahoe 5.3L (she's bought and paid for!)
rgschott is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Crossroads Registry

0

dsnrs

CG38SB - 2016

gford10480
Add your Crossroads RV
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Crossroads RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×