Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2020, 07:35 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Cracked, faded graphics

After watching a few videos on restoring faded graphics, I’ve decided to do a little re-vamping.
Simple, yet time consuming, but I’ve got some time on my hands, and can do small areas at a time.
On my badly cracked areas, I’ll be using spot/glazing putty, and a 400 grit sand. Others will just get scuffed with 600, and sprayed, then a UV resistant clear coat. I managed to find 3 colors off the shelf that were very close to existing, so I was fortunate there.
I did a few small ones yesterday, and am very pleased with the results so far. The biggest difference was on the nose of the camper, which were extremely faded. I’ll post pics of the before and after once I have it finished.
Rrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 04:18 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

So heres the nose before and after. What a huge difference
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1EB69FAB-4C63-4B1D-B53E-6EB23418ADA5.jpg (246.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 33E52A73-95FF-40FF-8629-7AA236FF6372.jpg (260.4 KB, 15 views)
Rrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 09:42 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Looks good. Also, a little side note. Before you post pictures if you go to the pictures you want to post first and click edit. Slightly change picture by cropping a little and then rotate the picture Completely around and save. Then the picture will be upright when you post it.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 11:13 AM   #4
Site Team

Some people have no problems waxing their decals. But this info is from a decal manufacturer.

https://www.rvdecal.com/DOES-WAX-HURT-RV-decals.html

Quote:
Does wax harm your decals ???

Should you wax your RV DECALS ?

Never, never, never, never, never wax a vinyl graphic!

Wax contains petroleum distillated products. Petroleum products removes and destroys the "plastisizers" that the vinyl manufacturers add during the manufacturing process. Plastisizers are what keep the vinyl from cracking and curling...and keeps the vinyl from drying out.

Wax causes the adhesive backing to fail, causing curling and peeling...as well as cracking and fade!

All the major vinyl graphic manufacturers such as 3M will tell you this, as will the major RV Graphic Companies such as Sharpline, ZombieKiller, Performance Graphics and the big one Valley Screen Process who furnish graphics to Jayco, Forest River, Thor and more.

Vinyl decals on RVs can be damaged by chemicals such as petroleum distillates that are contained in some waxes, by prolonged exposure to the sun's ultra violet rays, excessive scrubbing when cleaning the exterior of the RV, etc.

RV, Motorhome and Vehicle Decals
Have you ever had your decals or 'stripes' on your RV or
motorhome fade or crack from oxidation? Here is why.

The decal/stripes on RVs are vinyl. As a general rule, one should refrain from using anything containing petroleum distillates or abrasives on vinyl, including Vinyl decals. Unfortunately, most waxes contain petroleum distillates and often abrasives.

RVdecal.com , CUSTOM RV DECALS info click here

The decision is always up to the Rv owner.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 07:31 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
Looks good. Also, a little side note. Before you post pictures if you go to the pictures you want to post first and click edit. Slightly change picture by cropping a little and then rotate the picture Completely around and save. Then the picture will be upright when you post it.
Thanks for the tip.
Old 06-20-2020, 07:53 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Had to try it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Before.jpg (59.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg After.jpg (47.3 KB, 10 views)
Old 06-20-2020, 08:10 AM   #7
Site Team

Looks good!
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote