Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-19-2023, 08:21 AM   #1
New Camper
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1
Solar Generator

Recommendation for a solar generator that will power a Crossroads Cruiser 2015 Fifth Wheel. Thanks
TriciaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 12:28 PM   #2
Site Team
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI.
Posts: 9,112
I haven't seen one that will fully power all needs of a camper.
Besides that, they are pretty expensive for what you get in, my opinion.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 03:46 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Mb
Posts: 474
Agree with @Lloyd. Consumption of power seems to always exceed replenishment without massive battery backup. Itís hard to fully charge batteries in the shade of a campground.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 05:00 PM   #4
Weekend Camper
 
Join Date: Jul 2023
Location: NC
Posts: 16
I have an Ecoflow Delta Pro. The term "solar generator" is a real doozy for being mis-named.

The Eco Flow, plus about 700 watts of solar panels, will keep my rig running fully off grid for NORMAL use ******

**BUT running AC is a different story. I can get about 2-3 hours of AC off of a single charge. The Delta Pro can handle running an AC as it has a peak output of about 4.5kW, so it can handle the inrush of current an AC pushes.

You can expand the batteries on a Pro. It has a 30-AMP RV plug. The Pro charges very quickly from a generator or an EV charging station. I run he generator into the Pro while the trailer is hooked up to the Pro. That way the Pro charges and provides power.

The EcoFlow Deltra Pro is about $2600 -- Plus panels -- and so on.

https://www.ecoflow.com/us/delta-pro...-power-station
__________________
2021 CROSSROADS SUNSET TRAIL 253RB
NCPictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 07:09 PM   #5
Site Team
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: WI.
Posts: 9,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPictures View Post
I have an Ecoflow Delta Pro. The term "solar generator" is a real doozy for being mis-named.

The Eco Flow, plus about 700 watts of solar panels, will keep my rig running fully off grid for NORMAL use ******

**BUT running AC is a different story. I can get about 2-3 hours of AC off of a single charge. The Delta Pro can handle running an AC as it has a peak output of about 4.5kW, so it can handle the inrush of current an AC pushes.

You can expand the batteries on a Pro. It has a 30-AMP RV plug. The Pro charges very quickly from a generator or an EV charging station. I run he generator into the Pro while the trailer is hooked up to the Pro. That way the Pro charges and provides power.

The EcoFlow Deltra Pro is about $2600 -- Plus panels -- and so on.



https://www.ecoflow.com/us/delta-pro...-power-station

So you have a gas powered generator to charge the solar generator?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 07:18 AM   #6
Weekend Camper
 
Join Date: Jul 2023
Location: NC
Posts: 16
The term "solar generator" is nothing but a marketing term. They are storage units, also known as batteries. They do not generate anything.

Like most battery units, I can charge from 12v, AC, or solar. I use all as needed. The EcoFlow can also plug into most EV charging stations for a quick top up.

I can use the gas/Propane generator when my batteries are really low, or when I need to run my AC for an extended time, or just before boondocking quiet hours to extend my AC. I also have a Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) battery that I can also charge the EcoFlow.

My generator is a Champion 2000 inverter that runs on propane or gas. My generator has only run on propane. No need to carry gas cans.

I have solar panels, and am working on mounting one to my truck bed for charging on the road. I am not ready to attach to the roof of the camper yet. I have up to 1100 watts of solar panels available, but a still working on a way to transport them. The EcoFlow has a built in Solar controller good to 150V and 15 Amps.

Its amazing how slow solar power is to charge. One little panel does not do very much. Having solar panels on the correct angle to the sun is very critical, and of course they do not like shade at all, even partial shade. Presently at home, I have 800 watts of solar panels, and it barely keeps up with a static camper.

Those "solar generators", like the Jackery, would be good for devices like a CPAP or charging phones, but it takes some horse power to do a full camper. You really need to understand how much power you are drawing while camping. Something like a power monitoring meter can tell you a lot about usage. For me, I will want to power my water pump, TV, lights, and my 12 v fridge. I use propane for coffee, cooking and hot water. Its all about knowing your power usage.

https://www.amazon.com/Upgraded-Consumption-Electricity-Overload-Protection/dp/B07P8M7N9F/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=power+monitor+plug&sr=8-6

I hope this is helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
So you have a gas powered generator to charge the solar generator?
__________________
2021 CROSSROADS SUNSET TRAIL 253RB
NCPictures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 11:49 AM   #7
Site Team
 
DavisK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: VA
Posts: 1,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPictures View Post
You really need to understand how much power you are drawing while camping.
I just happened to look at the readout on my Progressive EMS during one of my recent trips while both A/C units were running in addition to some other stuff inside. My camper was drawing 25 amps on one leg and 28 amps on the other.
__________________

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 09:40 AM   #8
Weekend Camper
 
runamuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: texas
Posts: 32
for you guys with 12v fridges, do they manage to keep stuff cool on long hauls or should I consider having a 2 battery setup if I plan to go more than 4 or 5 hours between stops. where we went last week required 6 hrs each way and the wife said the freezer did not keep the ice frozen hard. I am guessing it doesnt get much help from the truck system while on the road.
__________________
2021 cruiser air cr28rd
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 09:42 PM   #9
Site Team
 
DavisK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: VA
Posts: 1,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
for you guys with 12v fridges, do they manage to keep stuff cool on long hauls or should I consider having a 2 battery setup if I plan to go more than 4 or 5 hours between stops. where we went last week required 6 hrs each way and the wife said the freezer did not keep the ice frozen hard. I am guessing it doesnt get much help from the truck system while on the road.
I have a 12v refrigerator in my Rockwood. The first leg of my trip this summer to Nova Scotia was 619 miles and took a little over 13 hours. I had the temperature setting in the refrigerator at the middle setting. The bottled tea and water on the top shelf froze during the trip. The freezer temperature was -4 when I arrived at the campground. I have 2 batteries in the camper and a 200 watt solar panel on the roof. I see no difference in my refrigerator between shore power and on the road.
__________________

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 08:03 AM   #10
Weekend Camper
 
runamuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: texas
Posts: 32
good to know. maybe we just had too much stuff packed in there but I think I am going to add a second battery just for good measure.
__________________
2021 cruiser air cr28rd
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Crossroads RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×