Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2010, 07:10 AM   #1
New Camper

Maybe there is an easy answer for this.....

The electric part of the heater works yet when I try to run it on Gas this is what happens......

The automatic ignition starts clicking...then it fires up as if it is going to start, but after about a 7second burn, shuts down.

Then after a reasonable time ...it tries to ignite again...this time for only a few seconds and shuts off.

Then there is the third and final try to ignite...lasting only a couple of seconds..before shutting down and off.

What I've tried....Tanks are both full....Frig working on gas...and stove working well.

Seems like the shut off value won't stay open...and shuts off the gas after only a short burn???

Just wondered if I should try something before taking it in to the dealer.

Thanks for any information or suggestions that you might have on the problem.

Dave O'Neil

North Bay Ontario
daveoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:24 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Could it be the thermocouple? This heats up and signals the computer to keep the flame lit. You can measure this with an analog voltmeter that reads millivolts. You will need to remove it and stick it into the flame on the stove. Read the voltage off the other end (connect voltmeter to the center copper wire and the copper tubing) Reading should be over 13 millivolts when hot. It may be easier to just turn it over to the service guys if under warrantee.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:31 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

If it's an auto ignite there's no thermocoupler. When the tank gets to set temperature the gas valve closes via the circuit board thus no pilot light.There could be a couple of things to check first. Check the crimp on connectors to see if they are tight, this caused me some grief after I first got my trailer. There's also a fuse that has a crimp on connector, if you have DVM (digital voltage meter) you could check to see if that fuse is open. More than likely it's a loose connection. If those checks are all good have your dealer check the circuit board, as it's unlikely you have a badgas valve but stranger things have happened here. Edited by: ryeja

'06 F-250 SD V-10

SCT custom tuned

https://i785.photobucket.com/albums/y...a/SDC12617.jpg
ryeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 01:41 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

On my auto ignite W/H, I have a probe that is called a "spark and sense electrode". I thought this acted like a thermocouple and safety device to shut off the gas when a flame is not detected. It has a black wire that plugs into the sealed circuit board.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:08 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan
On my auto ignite W/H, I have a probe that is called a "spark and sense electrode". I thought this acted like a thermocouple and safety device to shut off the gas when a flame is not detected. It has a black wire that plugs into the sealed circuit board.

That's exactly what it does. I suppose in a sense it would act like a thermocoupler back in the old'n days.

'06 F-250 SD V-10

SCT custom tuned

https://i785.photobucket.com/albums/y...a/SDC12617.jpg
ryeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:42 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

I have the same identical problem with my '04 5ver. Here's what I've found that works to solve the problem.

Basically what is happening is that there is air in the propane line from sitting unused for some time. It doesn't take but very little air to interrupt the gas flow to cause the water heater to shut down.

If the auto start cycle goes thru two cycles and no ignition occurs or does occur but only for a short period, the third cycle will result in a "red light"' 'on the switch. When this happens, you must recycle the system by turning the switch to off then back on.

Prior to attempting to light the water heater,I have learned from experience to lightone ofthe stove burners andlet it burn on high for a minute or so, This helps remove any air from the line and make it easier for the water heater to maintain a constant flame.

I always heat the water with gas, or at least take the chill out of the tank, when first setting up at a CG, even with full hookups.

This exercises the system and assures you of proper opertion, before needing the heater on gas should the shore power fail.

greyeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:03 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

perhaps, there is a bug/ bug nest in the tube, as with mine.
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:48 PM   #8
New Camper

Problem solved....First thanks to Stan ,ryeja , greyeagle ,and seebee for taking time to try and help me out with my gas hot water problem !!!

After reading your suggestions I went and tried using stove first to clear the line..same result. Next checked connections/fuse ...same result...3 short burns and off! Finally decided to loosen a few screws and check the spark and sense electrode..noticed some carbon/soot...so cleaned lightly with sand paper....put back together...tried....success!!

Thanks again....Dave

North Bay Ontario
daveoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:22 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

That's great. Glad all worked out. I will put this down in my troubleshooting hint book!

Old 07-24-2010, 10:34 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Mine will act the same way sometimes. I pull each wire from the control panel and clean the connections with fine sandpaper. So far this has worked just fine. I have been thinking about some kind of dielectric to keep the oxidation down. My heater has a little sign on it to clean the terminals before replacing the panel. Jim

Jimw606 is offline   Reply With Quote