Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2009, 11:24 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

I have noticed the rubber roof is loose or not glued to the rounded edge sideof my 06 CF29CK. Is this normal?? Both sides from front to back seem to be this way. I can push down on the rolled edge (under the rubber) and it seems to not be attached to the plywood. It can be pushed down about 1/8 of an inch or so. The rounded roof edge was one thing I liked about Cruisers but now I'm wondering if something is not right. Did they fail to attach or glue everything properly?? The rest of the rubber roof surface is glued down very good and seems tight with no air bubbles.
Pull Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 12:06 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I think now days if you get a trailer with a rubber roof that does not have bubbles under it you are lucky. I don't think there is much you can do about other than keep an eye on it. Ours has sections on both sides on the rolled edge that appear to not be glued down properly and I just check it out after every other trip.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 12:08 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

the rounded edge is made of aluminum.. the rubber roof is stretched over and down pass it and stappled to the side and the rain gutter is then screwed on. it usually is not glued because the glue used for sticking the rubber to the wood will not noramally adhere well to the aluminum. it is also done this way for flexing of the trailer. so a little movement is normal.

wattashine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:24 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

This sounds logical to me. Trailers do flex and the aluminum would slide under the rubber.

Thanks for you input.
Pull Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:41 AM   #5
New Camper

I can understand the rubber not being glued to the aluminum, but be careful if the aluminum isloose onwood roof as the staples used to fasten it to the roof are letting go and may eventually protrude through the rubber roof membrane. On a hot day I can see and feel the staples higher than the aluminum. I was told the only cure is to take the rails off the side of the walls, peel the roof back and refasten the aluminum to the roof, stetch the rubber back, restaple it to the side walls, put back the rail and recaulk. We have our trailer parked right now on a seasonal so the situation hasn't changed in 3 years, but some day, I'll get to it.
fmielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:52 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

they also use a tape over the staples under the rubber roof, to try to prevent the staples from protruding

wattashine is offline   Reply With Quote