Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2023, 03:43 PM   #1
New Camper

trouble getting fresh water out faucets

working on a 2007 28' Cruiser 5th wheeler
VIN 4vofc28227b010908 purchased without an owners manual....

I've got the 12v system up and running, 12v pump runs (found the switch in the panel to the right of the door), fresh water tank is full..... but no water comes out faucets or anywhere and 12v pump never stops running.

Is there a lever, or vent, or anything I have to open or close to get the fresh water system to pressurize?
dtbaker61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 04:16 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

There may be a 2-3’ suction line with a valve on it for winterizing near the pump. If valve is not closed it will suck air and not water from the tank.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 04:34 PM   #3
New Camper

I found the 'alternate suction line' on the pump, but valve is open and I think water is getting to the pump just above the fresh water tank, but does not seem to get any further...... I opened kitch faucets, and no air purges and no water comes out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230612_existing fresh pump.jpg (288.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 06-15-2023, 05:37 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Make sure the suction line that is open to atmosphere for winterizing is closed.
Reese Weight Dist. w/friction sway control
jmnsn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 06:03 PM   #5
Site Team

Could be the pump lost its prime. Try this take the line that is open that goes to anti freeze for winterizing and open that valve so it pulls from that instead of the tank. Using a funnel fill that line with water. Turn on the pump to see if it will draw the water in and prime the pump. If so then get a gallon jug of water and put the end in it turn on the pump and when it starts to pull from the jug switch the valve to the tank. If this does not work the pump could be bad. Depending on brand some are rebuildable and some you just replace the compleat pump- head and motor.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 07:42 AM   #6
New Camper

I thought these pumps are self-priming?
regardless I will give this a try next..... to make sure the pump is working.

If the pump IS working, and nothing is draining out, then I am wondering if there are typically shut-offs or bypass valves anywhere downstream from the pump ?

I am confused that nothing is coming out anywhere, and yet the pump does not reach some pressure and stop, it just keeps running.
Old 06-16-2023, 07:53 AM   #7
Site Team

Just becouse the pump is running does not mean the pump part is working. Sometimes the diaphragm sticks or just goes bad. You are hearing the motor run. Yes they should be self priming but if it is stuck - the pump not the motor - it may need to be reprimed. From the pump outlet to the cold faucet there should not be any valves. There should be a Tee for the water heater then the water heater bypass. From what you described the pump motor is running but not pumping. I would start with trying to prime it.

You can get for most pumps new diaphragms or a new pump head or the whole thing if you want.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 07:54 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Did you try what @dagst1 suggested? I take it the hose below the valve is from the tank and the pinkish hose going into the side is your winterizing suction line? Pump has to work in either position but cannot suck air. They are self priming but can heat up if run dry for too long.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 08:26 AM   #9
New Camper

thanks for clarification..... I will go out to rig prepared to attempt a re-prime via the short suction line. probably also disconnect right there at the pump to see if it is capable of moving water, or diaphragm is NG and motor is running with no pumping.

won't get to check it out until next week.... thanks for the ideas so far!
Old 06-16-2023, 10:36 AM   #10
Site Team

Check to see that the valve to the tank is open first. You have to close it to winterize the lines then reopen for the season.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 07:06 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Send a message via MSN to KECoats
Input to pump

There is a screen where the water line connects to the input side of my pump. Have disconnected the line, pulled the screen, cleaned it, put it back. Helped when I had a problem.

Another time, the line connecting T in back of the Normal/Winterize valve had a hair line crack, (from freezing I presume), that allowed it to suck air. Worked ok and sucked antifreeze out of the gallon jug in Winterize position, but would not suck water in the Normal position. Hadda change that valve.
KECoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 03:40 PM   #12
New Camper

I have a 2008 Cruiser 28'TT with the same problem. However, I only see a drain tube underneath the water tank. The pump (or motor) runs, but does not build up pressure to push the water through the lines. How can I access the pump for further testing? Thank you
Kleinb47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 06:10 PM   #13
Site Team

You should be able to hear it running when you turn it on. Just follow the sound.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote