Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2023, 02:58 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Water damage to floor in kitchen area

I recently discovered our 2018 Sunset Trail model 253RB has water damage to the floor in the kitchen area. I have cut the plastic corrugated on the underside of the trailer so I could see the extent of the damage and where the water is coming from. Attached are two photos of the damage. The floor is damaged after the tires on both sides. There is no sign of any damage towards the front of the trailer and none towards the back of the trailer. I’m guessing the water has to be getting into the floor by going between the frame and the floor in the wheel well area. Has anyone has this issue? Any ideas how I can stop the water from getting into the floor again.
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_9740.jpeg (26.9 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_9739.jpeg (30.6 KB, 71 views)
Old 06-01-2023, 05:29 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Go over the outside VERY GOOD. We have a Crossroads Cruiser. I discovered the factory had overlapped the fiberglass with the bottom aluminum skirting, not the other way around, which gave water a way into the trailer. I had to pull off all the trim and essentially glue the skirting to the fiberglass with caulk.

Look around the hand brace to the side of the door and anywhere that the water can get in going down the side of the trailer. Also check up along the roof line for a crack or split allowing water to get into the wall(s).

2004.5 Chevy Duramax crew cab 4x4
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX
1991 K2500 4x4 being restored
drcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 08:20 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Check all the seals, mine had a leak in the seal on a cellar door that allowed rain water to leak in and it saturated the fiberglass insulation. I had to remove all the fiberglass, rebuild the floor, and, obviously, replace the cellar door seal. I used spray foam insulation instead of fiberglass, not only more water tight but also fire rated at pretty much fire proof.
2020 Silverado HD3500 Duramax
TexSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 12:17 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Thanks. I took the skirting off the passenger side and yes the fiberglass was too short. Should have been extended to the bottom of the floor. This would have prevented water damage to the floor. I caulked the skirting to the trailer and applied new butyl seal tape to the back of the trim piece. Lastly we caulked all the seams.
Attached is a picture with the skirting removed.
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_9754.jpeg (29.4 KB, 41 views)
Old 06-04-2023, 08:46 PM   #5
Site Team

There is no mistake on the wall. The filon is never extended to the bottom of the floor.
Most walls are laminated only down to the bottom plate of the wall. Then the wall is connected to the floor.
The bottom valence is overlapped on top of the sidewall. It should have been properly sealed and attached. Apparently, the seal failed and you got the water intrusion.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 02:09 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Here is a picture of the fix that I believe will stop the water damage to the floor on the driver’s side of the trailer directly behind the wheels. I never liked the seals Crossroads used to seal the underside of the slide. I looked for a round crushable seal on the internet but didn’t find anything. So I took swimming noodles and ran a piece of half in plastic water line through them and screwed the pipe to the underside of the slide. The noodles are water proof and soft enough to be crushed up against the area where the slide goes in and out. I think this should fix my water issue. I’ll know next time I drive in a rain storm
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_9765.jpeg (31.8 KB, 24 views)
Old 06-05-2023, 02:19 PM   #7
Site Team

My suggestion, and I know it's too late, was to seal the filon and floor plywood with Etenabond tape. Then install the bottom valence. You could get the Eternabond tape in various widths.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote