Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   CrossRoads RV Family Forum > CrossRoads | Tech > General RV Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2023, 08:34 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

AC won't turn on in newly acquired 2014 Longhorn Series M-39 DB

I just got this. 1'st time buyer and maybe it was an honest mistake, an old trick or more likely my mistake. They had it hooked up to a very long, normal 110v cord. Every time you'd run two things at once the circuit breaker at the barn would turn off. Anyway, I thought I heard the main AC going but when when hooked up to a 50amp back home no sign of life at all.The one in back goes (although very noisy). No circuits in off position in fuse box. I haven't yet found any specifics as to what equipment is in this RV. I went to Crossroads site and all they have is some kind of manual which covers every possible model (including 5th wheel) https://www.crossroadsrv.com/media/3...ers-manual.pdf. Hopefully there's a manual for each specific model but I didn't find it.
I wonder if anyone might have the model number of the AC or tips as to what I might do to fix or diagnose it if it has to be replaced. Thanks
Nair2well is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 10:02 AM   #2
Site Team

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Not sure if the manuals have changed much but they are generic. In the packet that came with the camper there would be manuals for everything that the camper came with like the refrigerator water heater, furnace, and so on. You might look on the back of the kitchen cabinet doors. Mine has a build sheet of sorts that lists all the appliances and there model numbers.

As far as the AC not working one thing to check is on 50 amp you have 2 legs of power and the AC's would be on separate legs. Check your 50 amp service at home to be sure you have power on both legs.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 11:18 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagst1 View Post
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Not sure if the manuals have changed much but they are generic. In the packet that came with the camper there would be manuals for everything that the camper came with like the refrigerator water heater, furnace, and so on. You might look on the back of the kitchen cabinet doors. Mine has a build sheet of sorts that lists all the appliances and there model numbers.

As far as the AC not working one thing to check is on 50 amp you have 2 legs of power and the AC's would be on separate legs. Check your 50 amp service at home to be sure you have power on both legs.
Appreciate your reply. This didn't come with any manuals. I'll check that out on the "both legs" power. I'm not by the trailer right now. Everything else came on except the main AC.The smaller bedroom AC, the slides, the lights, fridge all came on. The main AC did absolutely nothing...no fan etc. Like I said no breakers in the trailer were tripped. Could there be a separate fuse in the AC unit? Thanks
Old 10-04-2023, 01:19 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Checked the 50 amp and there is power on both legs. I tried calling Crossroads Support phone but just got message "due to an emergency the phones out until Sept.29"? I then filled out a form seeing if I could track down the model # of the AC. I hope they can figure it out from the Vin number.
Old 10-04-2023, 01:52 PM   #5
Site Team

Welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nair2well View Post
Everything else came on except the main AC. The smaller bedroom AC, the slides, the lights, fridge all came on. The main AC did absolutely nothing...no fan etc. Like I said no breakers in the trailer were tripped. Could there be a separate fuse in the AC unit? Thanks
The slides and the lights are running on 12 volts, not a 120 volt circuit. If you have a propane/electric refrigerator, it may be on the same leg as the bedroom A/C. The microwave, the electrical outlets, the electrical element in the hot water heater and the converter are probably the only other things using 120 volts.

I was at a campground this summer, and my main A/C stopped working and the clock on the microwave went out. I checked the panel in the camper, but all breakers were ok. I went to the pedestal and looked at the 50 amp breaker, and it looked okay too, but I turned it off and then back on. Everything on leg 1 came back on. Only the left side of the breaker had tripped, but it was not apparent when looking at it.

If that is okay, then I would start with the simplest, the receptacle you are plugged into. A wire may have come loose, or the circuit breaker may be bad. If you have a voltmeter, set it to AC and check each leg. Looking at the receptacle the ground is at the top, leg 1 on the left, leg 2 on the right and the neutral at the bottom. If you put the probes in L-1 and neutral, the meter should read about 120 volts. The meter should read the same when you put the probes in L-2 and neutral. If you put the probes in L-1 and L-2, the meter should read 240 volts. The main A/C is probably on L-1.

This is from an Airxcel manual:
Quote:
If all electrical power to the air conditioner is normal but neither the fan or the compressor will operate, the connector plug located behind the ceiling assembly control box should be checked to determine whether it is faulty.
Unless you are very confident working around electricity, I would leave probing in the breaker panel to a professional. If the previous owners were running any of the A/C units on a 120 volt 15 amp or 20 amp circuit, the units may be damaged. During a recent trip I looked at the display on my Progressive Industries EMS when both A/C units were running and leg-1 was drawing 28 amps and leg-2 was drawing 25 amps.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 01:54 PM   #6
Site Team

Ignore part of my post. I see you made a post while I was writing my long-winded reply.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 01:59 PM   #7
Site Team

Look inside the thermostat. There should be a fuse in there that may have gone bad.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 05:18 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Good to get your perspectives on this. I'll be checking that out. Thanks!
Old 10-04-2023, 08:29 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Found out it's a Coleman 48204C966 AC

I'm not by it now but the folks where it's at took off the inside cover and saw it was a Coleman 48204C966.
Old 10-06-2023, 07:33 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Look inside the thermostat. There should be a fuse in there that may have gone bad.
Sorry not much of an expert but would like to do as much as I can if possible. I googled "thermostat Coleman 48204C966" but couldn't figure it out from that. Is the thermostat in the unit in the wall where you turn the AC on or in the unit itself? Did some more reading. I guess it's in the control panel in the wall.? Thanks.
Old 10-06-2023, 12:50 PM   #11
Site Team

Your thermostat is what's mounted on the wall inside your Rv. You should be able to pull the cover of and see if it has a fuse.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2023, 07:35 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

AC turned on...eventually

The fuse was OK. After sitting for 3-4 days plugged in to 50a I heard it making some noises after putting it on AC and thought I felt some cooling going on. The fan wasn't turning at all. It was even hard to push but moved. Then I thought to check the heating so switched it off AC to Heat on the thermostat. That started to work. I could hear the heater fan running and felt heat. I then turned the thermostat immediately back to AC and the AC fan and cooling started to work.

So I don't know if that sequence did something or that it was plugged in for some days. I didn't recall hearing any sounds at all the first day although, without the fan they weren't very loud so I could have missed them. Also, there was no battery in this RV when I got it. I haven't put one in yet (that's another topic I should start). I wonder if that could have affected the AC? Thanks.