Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2023, 01:27 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Bubble in slide roof

Good afternoon all,

I went to check out my trailer today and I noticed a bubble in the slide roof directly under the slide gear mechanism.
I have two concerns, first that this bubble will prevent the slide from opening and secondly by opening it the roof fabric will get torn.

Has anyone else experienced this situation? If so, can you share how you addressed this.

Thanks so much
Dave
2018 Crossroads Trail 222rb
Old 02-06-2023, 02:20 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

How big is the bubble and can you show a picture.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 02:24 PM   #3
Site Team

Is it he actual roof panel or is it the roof material covering??

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 04:10 PM   #4
Site Team

I am guessing you have a cable slide and the room is in and you are looking at the bubble from the inside. There should be plenty of room between the top of the slide and the wall opening. After is is out for a while in the sun it may lay down. Should not cause any problem but watch it carefully as you extend the room just to be sure.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 06:44 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

The bubble is approximately 3” in circumference and maybe 3/8” high.
I can’t tell if it is just the roofing fabric or if there is wood delaminating under it because I couldn’t reach it (didn’t have a small ladder with me)

I don’t have any water damage on the ceiling of the slide. But I did notice perhaps oil or liquified gear lube from the slide gear box on the surface of the bubble.
Dlowfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 06:46 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Yea your are absolutely correct I am looking at it from the inside and the bubble is right underneath the slide gear box. And almost touching the wiper seal
Old 02-06-2023, 06:51 PM   #7
Site Team

The wiper seal shouldn't hurt it.
When it warms up in your country, you could even get yourself a big syringe. Find out what type of glue to use. Then inject some of it thru the bubble. Either roll it down, or put a weight on it to hold it down until it dries.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 02:50 PM   #8
New Camper

We had an issue with oil from the slide gearbox leaking onto the roof membrane that caused it to bubble and wrinkle. The fix recommended from Crossroads was a catch tray under the gearbox.
apkole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 04:47 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Bubble on slide roof from oil

We had the same issue. Dealer contacted Crossroads. Crossroads paid to have a tray installed under the gearbox and materials to place a patch over the bubble. Fixed the problem.
eldon005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 05:19 PM   #10
Wit
Weekend Camper

Our slide roof did the same thing. They also installed trays under the slide mechanism. The bubbles are so still there, but hasn't hurt anything. Remember to take a rag and wipe the oil out of the tray periodically to keep it from over flowing.
Wit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 06:51 PM   #11
New Camper

Same here.
Old 02-13-2023, 07:16 AM   #12
Site Team

You would think that gear box would run out of oil eventually. Why in the world didn't they just replace the gear box?
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 08:06 AM   #13
Wit
Weekend Camper

An RV repairman told me that Crossroads install those upside down to fit their design. I've not really looked that close at mine, but that wouldn't surprise me!
Old 02-13-2023, 08:22 AM   #14
New Camper

We purchased our Sunset Trail 254RB August of ‘17. Wondering what the long term ramifications of this snafu will be.
Old 02-13-2023, 09:38 AM   #15
Wit
Weekend Camper

Good question. Will the gear box go dry and wear out? I guess time will tell. We might have to replace the whole unit at some point if we own the camper long enough.
Old 02-21-2023, 05:52 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

slide bubble

I see a couple responses refer to a drip tray under to gear box. Can someone explain how that is constructed and installed.

I have an appointment at the dealership in a couple weeks and I have zero confidence in the service writer. I'm sure he will tell me that the gear box needs to be replaced, the whole roof fabric and the wood underneath needs to be replaced ect ect and give me a bill for some ridiculous amount. Any suggestions would be more than appreciated.
Thanks
Dave
Old 02-21-2023, 07:04 PM   #17
New Camper

Our repair was covered under the first year warranty. The drip tray and installation instructions were provided by the manufacturer to our dealer service technician.
Old 02-21-2023, 10:37 PM   #18
Wit
Weekend Camper

Same here. I had to take our camper back a couple of months after purchase. I made a list of things that needed to be addressed and I had noticed bubbles in the slide in all 3 slide roofs. The dealership said that it was a common problem from the gear box leaking and the manufacturer recommended the catch trays as the solution. It was covered under warranty. It's like having a water leak in your house and installing a bucket under it, with the proper fasteners of course! �� Sometimes all we can do is shake our head.
Old 02-21-2023, 10:57 PM   #19
Wit
Weekend Camper

In response to DLOWFER, the tray is a thin square piece of metal. I haven't really paid any attention to how it's mounted because it's been over 2 years ago. It sits directly underneath the motor and gear box. If you're paying out of pocket I would think the tray would be cheaper than a new motor assembly. They also installed eternabond tape over the bubbles. Apparently the oil will damage the roofing but not the tape. The problem is as the tape tightens up with age it pulls the roofing material away from the adhesive. I showed that to a mobile repairman and he told me as long as the bubble didn't rub as the slide was going in and out that it would be ok. He said if it got worse I could inject some adhesive in the raised portion and stick it back down. I hope this gives you a little help and let us know what you find out. Remember the RV manufacturer motto, WHERE WE TREAT YOUR CAMPER LIKE IT'S YOURS!
Old 02-28-2023, 11:29 AM   #20
Family Vacation Member

Actually, it can create holes in the fabric

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagst1 View Post
I am guessing you have a cable slide and the room is in and you are looking at the bubble from the inside. There should be plenty of room between the top of the slide and the wall opening. After is is out for a while in the sun it may lay down. Should not cause any problem but watch it carefully as you extend the room just to be sure.
Turns out this problem can (and in my case did) produce holes in the TPO fabric. I've started a new thread on this topic:
https://www.crossroadsowners.com/for...tml#post154179

@Dflower - thanks for making this post, I decided to take a look and did find holes.

Dustin

Dustin and Doris

2018 Crossroads, Sunset Trail 33CK,
38', 7600 lbs empty, 8300 lbs loaded.
2016 Tundra: 5.7L with towing package with added "Roadmaster Active Suspension"
toolman.dustin is offline   Reply With Quote