Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2017, 09:48 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Freezer working, not the fridge

ST25RB 2011. Bought used, got it a week ago and today got around to trying the DOMETIC DM2652 RBX fridge and freezer. Step #1,First I turned off propane, plugged into 110, the electric heating element is hot and working, switch is turned to auto, freezer is freezing, fridge nothing at all cool on the inside fins. On the outside and backside of the fridge the bigger black pipes are hot and periodically a fan runs. Step #2 turned on propane and switched fridge to gas, gas ignites and freezer freezes, but the fridge still nothing. NOw my thinking is it must be maybe that sensor that you slide up or down the inside fridge fin, or just a control board at the back from outside, or maybe the one under the off/on, auto, gas switches. Hopefully I can get it into a service department here in Yorkton Saskatchewan, but it might be helpful if I could give him some tip of things to check that others experienced. I thank those in advance who are willing to take a stab at trouble shooting my problem. The person I bought it from said everything worked but never used it at all this year.
Aceallenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:54 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Just thought I better add something I read, my trailer was not level, actually off a fair bit. So I just went outside and leveled it and am leaving it on overnight to see if that makes a difference.
Old 07-31-2017, 05:17 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

I had a Dometic in a Prowler Lynx we owned prior. Similar scenario as yours...I venture to guess like me (mine was slightly off level)...after sitting leveled up you'll find it working properly.
tott9713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 05:50 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

I read that it could be the thermistor. I ordered one on Amazon for $18. I didn't end up needing it, but that could be your issue.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
jimmerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:29 AM   #5
Site Team

After leveling,
if you don't have a thermometer in the fridge and the freezer, I recommend getting one for each place. Then you will know for sure what the temp is and not be guessing. After that if things aren't working properly then you can start trouble shooting.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:40 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

THANK YOU everyone for your replies. Fridge is working fine this morning after leveling last night. I put a thermometer in last night after I leveled it and this morning it read 34F in the fridge. Today I will unplug from the 110 power and turn on the propane, also check the roof for vents and other odds and ends. Perhaps today also build another sliding drawer for the bottom cupboard as you walk in the entrance door. All in all I think everything is working on the trailer as normal so just a matter of time to give it a trial run to our neighboring park for a couple days. Just about got the beast ship shape and fine tuned to our needs.
Old 07-31-2017, 07:51 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Hi Ace , happy you found the problem. I have a Dometic like yours, and I have a question to ask you. I have the sliding temp sensor inside fridge on the fins, and I keep mind about a little above the middle setting toward colder. It gives me 37 degrees set like that. Where do you have your sensor set at? Just curious
SJSS Slingshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:10 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Hi Sling, yea I had mine set up at the top, to make it the coldest possible. My fridge was also empty because I'm just trying to see if everything is working proper. This used trailer is new to me, and learning how to run everything before taking it on a trial run. It was about 11 pm last night after I leveled it, then at about 8AM it was nice and cold, 34F. So I am pleased as to the temp drop in 9 hours. It was 75F when I put in the thermostat.
Old 08-01-2017, 05:05 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Thanks Ace, I might try and raise my sensor a little more. 38 is good which I'm getting right now, but down here in south La, it is getting hot outside for sure. Ours is used also, bought it in March of this year, first summer with it, and August is hot time of year down here, so kind of testing where is good position for sensor.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:33 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

I have always heard that running the fridge out of level would clog up the coolant tubes, possibly ruining the cooling system but at least making it temporarily nonfunctional. That apparently did not happen here. I gather that they aren't quite as sensitive about it as they were 20 years ago but is that still an issue? I've had repairmen tell me half a bubble off is ok but I'm still kind of paranoid about keeping it level. What's the current consensus?
Old 08-02-2017, 09:50 PM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Glad you posted about the non level issue, as mentioned before I'm new to this stuff. Were off on Monday morn to try the camper for the first time, so its probably best to start the fridge 1 days ahead of leaving, load the fridge the night before leaving and let it run overnight and shut it down when we leave for the 3 hours travel. then restart the fridge as soon as were at our destination and level and restart it up.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:13 PM   #12
Family Vacation Member

I run my fridge as I travel. Otherwise the temp would get too high and some foods would be in the danger zone.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
jimmerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:48 AM   #13
Family Vacation Member

I do the exact same procedure as Ace does. I only have 2 operating functions, and that is electric plugged into campsite or at the house, and the other choice is the propane function. Ours is only a 2 way function , not a 3 way. Is it safe to be using the propane function for fridge as you travel?. We have never done that before thinking it might not be safe,

SJSS
Old 08-03-2017, 07:38 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

I always run the frig on gas while traveling. No problems in 50 years.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:19 AM   #15
Site Team

We always run it on LP when traveling. Ours is set on auto all the time also.
Years ago we had a trailer with the 3-way fridge. They were just about worthless in the DC position. The fridge could kill that battery in no time flat.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:23 AM   #16
Family Vacation Member

That sounds like good news. We will run it on gas next trip out traveling, sometimes this month.
Old 08-03-2017, 09:26 AM   #17
Gone Traveling

Set it to "auto" & let it do its thing, that's what it's designed to do, no need to be constantly turning it off/on. If there's is anywhere that requires it to be off (no gas appliances) it will be posted.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:27 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSS Slingshot View Post
That sounds like good news. We will run it on gas next trip out traveling, sometimes this month.
When you stop for gas/fuel, I recommend that you stop back away from the pumps and shut fridge off. When you are done fueling you can start it again after pulling away from the pumps.
I do this religiously EVERY time I fuel up.
Old 08-03-2017, 10:49 AM   #19
TDG
Seasonal Camper

Level as possible

2013 Jefferson
2006 Chev 3500 DRW
2009 Corvette
Tony & Joanne
Full Time
TDG is offline   Reply With Quote