Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2023, 09:02 PM   #1
New Camper

Monitor Panel and Converter

Recently encountered an electrical loss during a thunderstorm. Power went off for roughly 3 - 5 seconds. I am connected to a 50A power pole, I do not have a surge protector in-line.

Since this incident, my monitor panel will only display maximum values on all tanks/battery, even tho some are duds like the Blk2. All other switches for slides, water heater, interior lights etc. are functioning. Would this likely be a shorted monitor board?

I have also started recording the voltage at the DC distribution and have noticed a continued decline in voltage with what I assume is no charge from the converter. Is there a good way to test or reset the converter, other than monitor battery voltage?

This is a 2022 Crossroads Volante 32FB, any help appreciated I'll keep scratching my head looking for solutions.
Old 09-24-2023, 09:19 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Without going in there and checking voltages on things it's going to be difficult to tell.. I would recommend you get a voltmeter and start with that.

With a thunderstorm and power outages, surges can be common and very expensive.

Currently located between Georgia and Insanity.

007matman AKA Matt
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 09:38 PM   #3
New Camper

Dug in deeper today and pulled the converter and circuit breaker panel out. After testing I have decided that the converter is faulty and is not outputting power.

I performed this with it disconnected and plugged in to 120vac. There was no output even after letting rest and discharge for a while. Both 35A fuses tested good for continuity. I do have a few battery chargers, and 300w solar to power through. I'll attempt to warranty the device with WFCO. The unit is a WF-9855-AD.

Everything else functions, except the monitor panel, as normal with battery supply and converter is completely removed for warranty/testing.

Monitor panel is still reading full on all values except for battery level. Charge indicator will decrease. Any thoughts? Could this possibly mean a short across the small LED board?
Old 09-24-2023, 10:01 PM   #4
Site Team

Make sure you then purchase a good surge protector. Many prefer the Progressive Industries RV Surge Protectors, they have a lifetime guarantee.
https://www.progressiveindustries.net/
They are available online.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter, electrical, panel