Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2021, 03:30 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Refrigerator Chimney Fan Effectiveness

Refrigerator Fan Effectiveness

Some FYI info in the event you're considering installing cooling fans in your refrig chimney.

I installed 4 cooling fans in the chimney of my Norcold N8X refrigerator last summer year. A couple of weeks ago I installed a switch to be able to turn those fans on/off to see how effective they are.

Over the past 2 weeks I turned the fans off and my frig/freezer were running at 40 degrees and -2 degrees. I switched the fans on three days ago and the temps are now 37 degrees and -7 degrees.
Outside temps are ranging lows 50s and mid 70s. The Norcold temp setting is 2 stars out of 5.

I have one each of these temp probes in my refrig, freezer and air inlet at the back of the refrigerator.

Just FYI

Dustin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg completed chimney.jpg (340.7 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Temp Probes.jpg (100.0 KB, 29 views)

Dustin and Doris

2018 Crossroads, Sunset Trail 33CK,
38', 7600 lbs empty, 8300 lbs loaded.
2016 Tundra: 5.7L with towing package with added "Roadmaster Active Suspension"
toolman.dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 03:06 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Do you have the 12VDC only model?

Tony & Lynne
Whidbey Island, WA
2021 Sunset Trail SuperLite SS212RB
2019 Ford F-350 FX-4 Crew cab, 6.2L gas
Tonyg2724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 03:37 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

No, mine is 110 and propane.

Dustin and Doris

Old 02-07-2021, 07:31 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

That will be very effective, for sure. Perhaps overkill?
From looking at your picture, it appears the fan array is on the roof. Do you have a plan for some sort of cover? It looks like there is potential for roof leaking, or pest infestation.
There are a few fan/cooling kits around, the only ones I've seen mount midway between the lower access panel and the upper.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 08:13 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

You said you installed the fans in the chimney. I'm confused. How did you get them in the chimney? When I think chimney I think of the pipe that goes from the fridge mechanical compartment up thru the roof.
I dont understand how the pic you shows that that is the placement of the fans. Not saying it isn't what you did, just that Im confused.

And where did you put these sensors? in the actual fridge and freezer?

2012 Sunset Trail by Crossroads
29BH
2016 F150 Lariat
egrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:36 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

The fans are covered by the original vent cover on the roof.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg refrig roof cap.JPG (61.1 KB, 11 views)

Dustin and Doris

Old 02-07-2021, 10:09 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

How I installed fans

Here's a writeup I did concerning the fans I installed.

https://www.crossroadsowners.com/for...ney-15458.html

The thing I would do differently:
Skip paragraphs 8, 9, and 10 paragraph that begins like this: Paragraph 8 begins like this: "According to the "Wiring Schematic" on page 55; K1 is a relay that applies"
-> It turns out this modification isn't needed since anytime the refrig is powered on this signal is "on" so this modification doesn't help turn the fans off when it's not in the cooling mode.

My modification has fans mounted at the top and pull cool air from the bottom up through the chimney (cabinet behind the refrigerator). Sometimes you will see people add at the bottom and push air into the chimney and out through the top. I would have done that but I just didn't have sufficient room in the lower area to install fans so I had to go to the top.

Also, some trailers don't have a roof vent. They have an air inlet and outlet on the side of their RV with no roof vent.

So, if your considering adding cooling fans you'll need to take some time to figure out how you want to proceed.

Here's a great video that shows what's behind your refrigerator and how it works. It's kind of wordy but worth watching if you're considering adding cooling.

Several weeks after I did this modification I had to replace the 110v heating element in my unit and to gain access to it I had to pull the refrig forward into the kitchen about 10". Turns our there aren't very many screws that hold it in place so if that becomes something you need to do it's not that difficult, just a bit intimating. There are YouTube videos that demonstrate where the screws are and how to slide the refrig out.

Hopefully this is a place to start planning.

Dustin

Dustin and Doris

Old 02-08-2021, 08:44 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Thanks for the explanation. I added a fan in the bottom of ours to push air, as you say and I believe that it does have some effect but certainly not what you are seeing.
I'm now thinking that this might be a mod I do this spring.
Again Thanks

2012 Sunset Trail by Crossroads
29BH
2016 F150 Lariat
egrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 01:38 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

I also did a similar fridge mod a couple years ago. I added 3x 6'' fans in the upper fridge vent, and added insulation in various areas to create a nice wind tunnel, if I placed a paper towel on the side vent it would stay stuck there due to the draw from the fans. I have no exact temp records to prove any points but can vouch our fridge/freezer work better than it ever has. I also added a small fan inside the fridge to circulate air which I think helps immensely. Plus I also added a stainless steel grate on the base of the freezer to keep stuff off the base of the freezer about 3/8'' and this is night and day difference, allowing the cold to get around everything. I also purchased a 3 sensor outside thermometer that I place in fridge, freezer, and outside kitchen fridge to read the temperatures so it's easy to see if all is well without opening the door's. All good additions for piece of mind and efficiency when it hits 90 outside.