Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2021, 09:57 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Tire pressure confusion

Being paranoid about blowout I run 58 PSI cold, monitored by TireMinder.

Sticker on the trailer states load and rating at 65 PSI
Cold inflation pressure on the sticker "65 PSI - single"
Sterling Sport ST 205/75R14 Load rating D tires - max pressure 65 PSI

On a 7525 GVWR trailer I have 2515 LBS for cargo, most likely I rarely reach 50% of that. Obviously as I'm driving the tires warm up, pressure goes up. Tires were made mid 2017 per the DOT.

I try to avoid going over the max pressure of the tire at any time but doesn't that seem odd that the max tire pressure equals to the one of the cold inflation pressure from the stickers?

What does the "Single" from the sticker refers to?

What pressure would you run/recommend?

(The pictures come upside down regardless of what I do...)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210310_083329.jpg (190.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20210310_083446.jpg (318.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 03-10-2021, 10:21 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

There will be many opinions on this. Some say run Max PSI. Others run 5 PSI under. I’m the under crowd. Also on pictures that your downloading. If you go to the picture in phots first and hit edit, slightly change size and then use the rotate and completely rotate the picture all the way around stopping at upright and then hit save. When you post it; it will be upright.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 10:23 AM   #3
Site Team

The "single" is referring to a single tire on each end of the axle. Dual refers to 2 tires on each end of the axle.

The higher the pressure the easier the tire rolls and the cooler it will stay. As they roll the temperature will rise regardless of the pressure and the pressure will increase as the temperature rises. I normally run my tires at the maximum cold pressure.

Here are your photos...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 - sticker.jpg (532.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 2 - tire.jpg (750.9 KB, 10 views)

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 10:35 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

In other words would you run the tires at cold pressure from the sticker knowing that it will inevitably cause the running pressure to be above the max pressure stated on the tire?
Old 03-10-2021, 10:36 AM   #5
Site Team

The "cold" pressure takes into account the temp rise as the tire rolls down the road and heats up. Single means a single tire not duels. Personally i run mine at the rated "cold " pressure.

Just a suggestion - when you are all loaded up take the camper to a coop or a truck stop and weigh it. Then you will know its true loaded weight.

Also your tires are 4 years old may need replacement soon. Just keep an eye on them.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 01:09 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Run them at 65.. agree with others.. you should replace them anyway.. 3-4 yrs is all.you can expect from a set of tires nowadays.

Currently located between Georgia and Insanity.

007matman AKA Matt
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 01:46 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

If you have the same tires that came on it I would replace as soon as you can afford to. The ones that come on them, we call “China Bombs” for that reason. Easier to replace tires then to repair camper when they explode. I bit the bullet and put Goodyear Endurance on mine and also replaced the spare with a Goodyear Endurance. Great tires.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Old 03-10-2021, 02:14 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Tires are due for replacement although not immediate, I know that, the reason I even mentioned their age is to point it out, as well as the fact that I do not worry at this point about long term tread wear. I'll most likely replace them about mid this season. Also, as far as I know the "China Bombs" were limited to certain sizes (mostly 15's) and "E" load rating, I believe there was even some recall on those.

Regardless, the question on hand is about the pressures and principal idea around it.
Old 03-10-2021, 04:04 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugauga View Post
Regardless, the question on hand is about the pressures and principal idea around it.
Well; OK then! 35 years of experience pulling campers, just trying to offer my help and advice.

Old 03-10-2021, 04:14 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

And I appreciate that by all means. I am aware the tires are close to the end of their life. I'm looking for advise to reach that end in safest possible manner.

I've also reach out to both Crossroads and tires manufacturer (Lionshead Speciality) to see if they have anything to say about it.
Old 03-10-2021, 05:50 PM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Sounds like you've got it all figured out then. Good luck.

Currently located between Georgia and Insanity.

007matman AKA Matt
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 06:36 PM   #12
Gone Traveling

Rv tires will age out long before they wear out, 4-5 years is old age for rv tires.
I'd recommend inflating to cold max pressure from the tire sidewall for optimum wear & cooler temps. Tires are manufactured to withstand the temperature increases in pressures otherwise it would be noted to allow for that increase when inflating.
If you read several different forums the China bombs are not limited to any size or specific brand, but most are made in China. There are Chinese brands that are recommended, Carlisle, Sailun, Hercules, Maxxis to name a couple, as well as GY Endurance, but you could fill a book on the no name "China Bombs" that might last the 1st year or a couple thousand miles before blowing up & taking the sidewall of your rv with it.
The E rated tires you mentioned were the GY Marathons a few years back that did have a recall, as well as a very poor reputation & have been replaced by the Endurance, which so far has proven to be a good tire. As far as I know there are no nor have ever been recalls on any of that long list China Bombs.
I'd also recommend when replacing buy 1 of those mentioned above, go up 1 load rating (i.e. E to F, D to E) in the same size tire & inflated to max sidewall pressure.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 06:53 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

Replacement will be done with the GY Endurance - any saving from that would be illusive in my opinion. I follow your logic on pressure statement on the sidewall and assumed design for the increase. At the same time, based on unrelated work experience, I'm cautious as it says "max pressure", not "max cold pressure" - which in typical contractual/litigation language would mean literally an absolute do not exceed value. Just for the sake of discussion and should someone else run into similar question in future I'll report back once (if?) I get responses from both manufacturers.
Old 03-10-2021, 07:05 PM   #14
Site Team

From tire rack .com

Maximum Inflation Pressure
A tire's maximum inflation pressure is the highest "cold" inflation pressure that the tire is designed to contain. However the tire's maximum inflation pressure should only be used when called for on the vehicle's tire placard or in the vehicle's owners manual. It is also important to remember that the vehicle's recommended tire inflation pressure is always to be measured and set when the tire is "cold." Cold conditions are defined as early in the morning before the day's ambient temperature, sun's radiant heat or the heat generated while driving have caused the tire pressure to temporarily increase.

For the reasons indicated above, It is also normal to experience "hot" tire pressures that are up to 5 to 6 psi above the tire's recommended "cold" pressure during the day if the vehicle is parked in the sun or has been extensively driven. Therefore, if the vehicle's recommended "cold" inflation pressures correspond with the tire's maximum inflation pressure, it will often appear that too much tire pressure is present. However, this extra "hot" tire pressure is temporary and should NOT be bled off to return the tire pressure to within the maximum inflation pressure value branded on the tire. If the "cold" tire pressure was correctly set initially, the temporary "hot" tire pressure will have returned to the tire's maximum inflation pressure when next measured in "cold" conditions.

A tire's "maximum inflation pressure" may be different than the assigned tire pressure used to rate the tire's "maximum load." For example, while a P-metric sized standard load tire's maximum load is rated at 35 psi, many P-metric sized standard load performance and touring tires are designed to contain up to 44 psi (and are branded on their sidewalls accordingly). This additional range of inflation pressure (in this case, between 36 and 44 psi) has been provided to accommodate any unique handling, high speed and/or rolling resistance requirements determined by the tire and vehicle manufacturers. These unique tire pressures will be identified on the vehicle placard or the vehicle's owner's manual.

The tire's maximum inflation pressure is indicated in relatively small-sized print branded near the tire's bead (adjacent to the wheel) indicating the appropriate value. Because tires are global products, their maximum inflation pressure is branded on the tire in kilopascals (kPa) and pounds per square inch (psi). These values can also be found in the industry's tire load & inflation charts.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 07:34 PM   #15
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Replacement will be done with the GY Endurance - any saving from that would be illusive in my opinion. I follow your logic on pressure statement on the sidewall and assumed design for the increase. At the same time, based on unrelated work experience, I'm cautious as it says "max pressure", not "max cold pressure" - which in typical contractual/litigation language would mean literally an absolute do not exceed value. Just for the sake of discussion and should someone else run into similar question in future I'll report back once (if?) I get responses from both manufacturers.
Then I'd say inflate to whatever makes you happy & purchase whatever tire you can afford.
You ask with the title "tire pressure confusion" yet you seem to be absolutely positive as to what it should be & dispute any other advice.
Good luck & safe travels!!
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 11:14 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagst1 View Post
From tire rack .com
Now there's some extensive info. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
You ask with the title "tire pressure confusion" yet you seem to be absolutely positive as to what it should be & dispute any other advice.
I stand by my title. I was confused and asked for opinions and experience. Isn't forum a place dedicated to ask, dispute and exchange?

Once again thank you all for the input.
Old 03-11-2021, 06:58 AM   #17
Seasonal Camper

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire...n-loading.aspx

This is what Goodyear says.
Old 03-14-2021, 03:35 PM   #18
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Being paranoid about blowout I run 58 PSI cold, monitored by TireMinder.

Sticker on the trailer states load and rating at 65 PSI
Cold inflation pressure on the sticker "65 PSI - single"
Sterling Sport ST 205/75R14 Load rating D tires - max pressure 65 PSI

On a 7525 GVWR trailer I have 2515 LBS for cargo, most likely I rarely reach 50% of that. Obviously as I'm driving the tires warm up, pressure goes up. Tires were made mid 2017 per the DOT.

I try to avoid going over the max pressure of the tire at any time but doesn't that seem odd that the max tire pressure equals to the one of the cold inflation pressure from the stickers?

What does the "Single" from the sticker refers to?

What pressure would you run/recommend?

(The pictures come upside down regardless of what I do...)
Look and see where your tires are made. It has been my opinion for quite some time, that plastic & rubber made in China, disintegrates.
Old 03-14-2021, 04:35 PM   #19
Weekend Camper

This is why I don’t post on this site anymore. It’s full of experts in their own minds. I agree with the person who posted the question. If someone doesn’t immediately agree with a post then the person who posted an answer get their pore feelings hurt and has to “nicely” be rude and point out what an expert they are because their years of experience make what they say correct. Let me remind y’all you can also do things incorrectly for years also. We like everyones input but don’t need reply’s that are “nicely “ rude. Stick to the question at hand as the poster said.
NEVER2LATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 05:19 PM   #20
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I'd also recommend when replacing buy 1 of those mentioned above, go up 1 load rating (i.e. E to F, D to E) in the same size tire & inflated to max sidewall pressure.
When going up a load rating, make sure your wheels are rated to handle the new presdure
Dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote